The Bloodiest Greeting

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

It had been a week since (f/n)'s arrival at the hospital. Nick had stayed true to his word and had left the morning of her first day there. He had given her his number in case she needed anything, and she was rather grateful for that. Over the course of the days, though, she had been interviewed by police and public media.

Thankfully, her stay in the hospital only permitted an individual or two in her room at a time. There was also the fact that there had to be long breaks between each visit so that her health didn't decline. She didn't have to worry about getting crowded by a mob of people, but she expected that Nick was experiencing more of that treatment.

Today, though, she only had one visitor. They had delivered her reward money for the information that she had given on the creature. Her parents were gone, so she would have to wait until they visited again to hand them the check. It wasn't the full reward since the creature hadn't been killed, but it was a substantial amount. The piece of paper, however, made her sick.

She had lost her best friend to those tunnels, yet people had been smiling and cheering around her. (F/n) was happy to be alive, but, with the passing of days, her friend's death sank in more. It was as though it was a slow working poison. The money only served to remind her about what she had lost, and she wished to deposit it as quickly as possible so that she wouldn't have to look at it anymore.

If she had let her emotional side rule over her, she would've torn the check in two, but reason told her to set it on the nightstand and save it. The money had awful memories attached to it, but it could be used to help her parents out if an emergency happened. Or, she could save it and retire earlier on in life. There were a lot of options, and she knew that she wouldn't be receiving another check like that again anytime soon.

One thing was certain, though. She would help pay for Laura's funeral if her parents required assistance. That was the least that she could do for her friend. (F/n) leaned back against her pillow and glanced out the windows. A light fall of snow decorated the outside air, and it was rather peaceful.

Hesitantly, she turned off the main light in her room. The dull light above her bed remained on, and she told herself that was enough. She was safe in the hospital room and on the fourth floor for that matter. That thing was still living, but for him to get to her room, he would have to cross a sea of parking lot lights. There were also all of the lights throughout the hospital.

Relaxing, she watched the snow for a few more minutes before she drifted off into sleep. Eyes, however, had watched her room light turn off. This had been the case for her first day of arrival at the hospital as well, but they had viewed the lights being turned on. Today, they came back since adjustments needed to be made.

Leaning against one of the trees, a grin stretched across pale lips. That human male really shouldn't have made it so easy to follow them. It was annoying that there had been other people around that night. He didn't mind making his presence known in his own home, but in public he preferred a quieter approach. The territory was new, and there were too many lights around to attack whoever he pleased whenever he desired. Still, the human had proceeded to stand next to the windows that very night. It had been amusing since he had given away their location so easily.