七十八 ; neither cruel nor kind

day 00
0.00 pm
bangtan sonyeondan

the universe is neither cruel or kind...

it was a night just like every other. they had just finished up with their schedules for the day, had a brief meeting with their manager over what new events they should work on, and went back to their dorm to rest for the night.

jimin noticed the way jeongguk had been slouched down on the seat of their van, eyes closed, head tilted back, fists occasionally clenching and unclenching. he could guess that the maknae was tired, but it seemed like there was something more to that than just overwork. and so jimin scooted over slowly before tapping jeongguk on the thighs. the maknae looked up, messy fringes drooping over his eyes, and blinked at his smiling hyung.

"you okay?" jimin asked, towering over jeongguk in concern.

the maknaes blinked again before nodding. jimin expected that answer from him, after all, jeongguk was never someone who wanted other people to worry over him. and this habit bothered jimin. he was worrying over jeongguk even without knowing what's wrong. what's the point of hiding anyway? but seeing how much jeongguk seemed like he wanted to rest quietly, jimin pursed his lips for the rest of the ride.

after dragging their tired limbs through the front door, all said their goodnight's and went to their respective bedrooms. jimin however, had gripped taehyung by the sleeve of his shoulder and whispered in his ear to keep an eye on their maknae who was weakly just stepping into his room. the maknae caught their eyes and gave them a confused glance. taehyung responded with a "goodnight kooki!" and jeongguk smiled before shutting the door behind him.

"what do you think is wrong with him?" taehyung asked. jimin shrugged, eyebrows furrowing as he thought hard of the possibilities of what could be wrong.

"he hasn't been acting himself lately. i know that we've been having tight schedules, but this kind of thing never happened to him before. fainting, over exhaustion, getting pale," jimin emphasized the last one, glancing at taehyung worriedly. "god i'm so worried."

"do the others notice it too?"

jimin nodded. "yeah, everyone else knows too. but jeongguk won't tell us anything."

taehyung sighed, breath hitching. of course, jeongguk wouldn't. "get some rest, i'll go check on him," he strolled across the living room towards jeongguk's bedroom and jimin rubbed his forehead. he watched as taehyung knocked on the door, calling jeongguk's name lightly before disappearing into the room.

jimin slumped down on the living room couch and stared up at the ceiling, thoughts blank until he hears the shuffling of feet. "yoongi hyung?"

the elder was just getting some milk from the fridge, on his way back to the room when he noticed jimin laying on the couch. he glanced at the milk carton in his hand before turning back to jimin, giving him a sheepish smile. "was just getting some milk."

"i thought you were only into coffee."

"i have my days," yoongi walked up to jimin and sat down beside him. "you look troubled."

jimin swallowed, biting on his bottom lip nervously. "it's jeongguk. i'm just... worried."

yoongi nodded, taking a moment. "i think he's sick," he finally says, voice lowering as if he was afraid to say so.

"what do you mean? he's been like that for weeks now."

"i mean... not some short term illness," yoongi exhaled, shutting his eyes. "it's just a theory. i talked to him earlier. he's stubborn, he just can't seem to admit that he isn't okay. he wouldn't even tell seokjin hyung. or namjoon. or hoseok. he just... keeps it to himself."