Chapter - 20

Natasha's POV:

"So, let's start with the news." Fury speaks up, making us look at him.

"It's not about a mission, right?" I cautiously asked. I am scared that it will be because I'll have to leave Clara with Stark again.

Fury shook his head,"It's nothing about that. But, we have to tell you that 'he' breaks out of prison."

I felt shivers run down my spine at just the mention of him. Ivan. He was the one who trained me in the Red Room. Who made me a monster.

Maria puts her hand on my shoulders in a comforting manner and starts to rub my back trying to calm my nerves.

"Um......Uh, so you mean....he-he is out there looking f-for...." I cannot continue as I am breaking down, mentally.

They didn't answer my questions which means my assumptions were correct. After he found out that I was changing sides, he swore that he would make me pay for betraying him.

I always knew that this day would come, but I'm just not myself these past few days. So, I'm not ready to face him.

I need to run or go into hiding. But, I have a kid. Right, Clara. I have to leave or else I am putting eyeryone in danger.

"Natasha?" Maria looks at me, concern written all over her face.

"And also, we have more......uh, how do I put this?" Fury sighed, rubbing his face.

"Go on." I urged him to continue. Whatever he is going to say, I am positive that it is going to hit me. Hard.

But I need to hear this sooner or later. So, why not now?

"Well, about the reports that you asked about Clara, it's.....weird." He hesitantly starts.

Maria sat beside me on the stool biting her lips nervously. She forced a smile at the attempt of trying to make me feel better.

"Yeah? Did you find her birth mother? Or, how they brought her up and how she was raised this whole time? Or why they created her?" I blast him with my burning questions which were occupying my thoughts the whole time.

He sighs,"That's exactly the case, Romanoff. But from the results, Clara's not a surrogate. We blame it all the HYDRA's doing, but now, I don't think that they are even involved in her case."

I kept quiet for a second, processing all his words in my head trying to put pieces together.

"You mean?" I question, as I cannot put these pieces together.

"She is not who we think she is. In fact, she's not even around here." He speaks in a stern tone telling me that it was indeed true.

"But?" I asked with raised eyebrows since I know that there is a 'but' coming.

"But she's still yours. And we don't know how that could have happened." He sighs.

I don't know what is going on anymore. I thought that Clara was a surrogate of Steve and I, but if she's not. Then, how could she be born? It's really confusing. There seems to be no answers.

"I think that I should leave tomorrow. I don't want to put Barton's family in danger." I sigh, rubbing my face.

"And about Clara?" Maria asks in concern.

I keep quiet for a second. What would I do with her? Maybe she should come with me?

"I will bring her with me. I cannot risk losing her." I said firmly. Yes, I make up my mind. I will take her with me.