Chapter - 37

Natasha's POV:

The room was empty when I reached the Stark Tower, which is kinda strange. I guess they are all doing their own job this time.

I shook my head at that thought.

Heading towards Clara's 'room', I carry all the items which I have bought for her.

"Clara? Are you in there?"

No answer.

I opened the door to find the room completely empty. Maybe she is with Tony or Steve.

I settled all the items on the bed. She would be so surprised to find all these things. A soft smile tugged upon my lips at just the thought of me making her happy and surprised.

I only have one thing to do now. I need to have a talk with Steve and settle whatever this misunderstanding between us is for the sake of both of us and most importantly, Clara.

Even though I am looking forward to seeing his handsome face again, I am also a little scared at the same time.

All the negative 'what if's' keep on coming into my mind which is really not very helping. Especially when I am about to pour my heart out in front of him. Urgh!

Just as I'm about to head down to Steve's so called floor in the Stark Tower, Tony's voice stopped me.

"You searching for Cap?"

I turned to see him folding his arms in his chest, with his left eye still bruised, he stared at me like I am some kid who did something bad.

Maybe he is still mad at me for punching him. But, he kind of deserved it for acting like an asshole.

I just give him a firm nod and turned to get inside the elevator. "You're not going to find him there." I can't help as a small frown formed upon my forehead. "Or anywhere in New York." He adds, as he calmly take a seat on the couch beside him.

"You're joking."

He lazily rolls his eyes at me. "I was just trying saving you some time. You can check his room if you don't believe me."

Could this be true? But, Steve would not do this to me. At least, not again.

I don't know what came over me but I feel myself desperately shaking on the inside, hoping that this was not true.

"W-why?" My voice crack, suddenly having no strength to fight with him at all.

I can see a slight change in his face, from cold to a concerned look. "I am sorry, Nat. But, Steve......he decided that he should just leave you alone."

Not having anymore strength, I just kind of breakdown. I don't know how but I ended up sitting on the floor as I hug my knees.

"He can't......he just, he can't leave me, Tony." I find myself begging for him, not caring about my present situation anymore.

Why does love has to be so damn confusing? It keeps on fucking with my stupid emotions.

"I'm sorry, Nat. But if I were to be honest, you were the one chasing him away. Maybe he is done chasing you." He says, putting a hand on my shoulders.

A small sob escapes my mouth, no longer having anymore control as I allow my tears to fall from my eyes. Maybe it would hurt less if I stop holding myself back for at least this one time.

"Are you crying, Natasha?" I was met with Tony's concerned eyes, as he kneels down in front of me.

Another sob escapes my mouth again, followed by another and so on. "H-he could've a-at least told m-me." I hiccuped, still letting my tears fall from my eyes.

He should have stayed and wait for me to tell him how much he means to me. All he had to do was only to stay.

Yet, he leave me hanging. Again.

"I know. But he said that it would only hurt if he sees you." He reasons with me, as he suddenly stood up, his attention probably shifting to another.

"Little bug? Come here." I hear the trotting of small footsteps behind me. Quickly, I wiped the tears from my face, not wanting to show her my weak state.

Yet, I was sure that my eyes would betray me.

She runs towards Tony but she frowns a little when seeing my face.

"Are you okay?" Her small yet concerned voice makes me want to cry all over again.

Yes, at least there is still one person who would truly cares for you, Natasha. I tell myself. Never in my life had I find to control my emotions this hard.

"Mhm." I give her a small nod, not wanting to meet her piercing green eyes which were fixed at me.

Then, I feel her soft hands wrapping around my neck and I can smell the scent her strawberry shampooed hair.

Her surprising, yet strangely comforting hug really caught me off guard as I just sit there like a statue.

"I told you I'm fine."

But my voice betrays me as a small sob escapes my lips again. I never know that hugging her little small frame would bring me this much comfort.

Not that she takes away all my pain, but the mere thought of her staying by my side is the only comfort that I need.

I can feel her small little hands softly stroking my hair, making me want to burst out in tears again. "You're gonna be okay." She softly whispers, mostly to herself but I can hear her simple and plain, yet surprisingly soothing words.
_

"Geez, Romanoff. Just go to sleep already." Tony snickers, as he saw me staring blankly outside the beautiful city of New York.

Yet, how I feel all alone makes my heart swell.

I can't help but wonder what Steve would do right now. Would he be back to his little house in Brooklyn? Would he stay if he had hear me out?

Or worse, would he reject me had I confessed my stupid feelings for him?

Ignoring Tony's comment, I blankly continue to zone out.

Maybe it is time for me to finally let go too?  I violently shook my head at that thought. No way, he is way too precious to just give up.

Yet, it hurts so bad holding on to him too.

Why did you have to leave without even trying, Steve? Or am I that worthless to you that you just left without even giving me a reason?

There is one person I can never truly understand. He is just like a winter fog. When you feel like you know him, you are very far from it. You can't really touch him or truly get through to him, yet you could see his handsome face and smile cast at you and sometimes, you feel like you belong. But in reality, you are just another person blinded by the innocence and beauty of him.

And that person is none other than you, Steve Rogers.