Chapter - 23

Natasha's POV:

"Nat, I still don't understand why you keep on insisting taking her." Steve said in a low tone.

What?! How could he say that?

"What?! I thought you were okay with it." I snapped back at him.

He sighed, glancing at my way. "You know that's not what I mean."

Now, I feel myself burst out in anger. He is always the guy that I trust and who understands me, but now, I'm not too sure if he is still the same guy.

I laugh dryly,"Oh! Then, what were you trying to say, huh, Rogers? Just spit it out already." I hissed, making him flinch.

He keeps his eyes focused on the road again, gently shaking his head in disappointment.

Silence surrounds us and the atmosphere between us become heavier and heavier each second, the little devil snoring lightly from the back seat does not really help either.

Then, he decided to break the ice."Nat, I was just saying that when you said that you are bringing Clara with you, I thought that she wants to go with you too, that was why. I didn't know that she would be....you know," I roll my eyes at his poor attempt to defend himself.

"What, Rogers?! The fact that she hates me is bothering me enough, so just shut the fuck up." I growled, making him wince.

"Language, Nat." He calmly remarks while keeping his eyes glued to the road.

I grow more and more annoyed of his company. I mean, he keep on pestering me about Clara. And I always have to come up with a lie which make me feel bad again.
_

After four hours long drive, we stopped in front of a small, yet very well furnished house. It is on the outskirts of Brooklyn and it is pretty isolated.

"Home sweet home!" Steve smiles at me, causing me to return a small smile in return.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the backseat, carefully carrying Clara out of the car seat.

"Nat, I will carry her. Don't tire yourself." Steve says, trying to take Clara from my hold.

I pull away. "No, Steve. I want to." I tell him, giving him a smile.

All my anger seems to be gone once I get into the little house. I feel like I am having a family, a real family.

What can be more perfect? I thought.

If only Clara learns to accept me as her real mother and Steve returns my love for him, it would be perfect.

But that is not how the world is. It will never be like that.

"Nat, I should prepare a dinner for us. So, maybe you want to change?" He asks, carrying my luggage.

I only nod, as my mind just went numb. "Oh, I almost forget. Let me show you your room." He says again, walking up the stairs and I follow him like a puppy.
_

After Steve left, I put Clara on my bed carefully, not wanting to wake her up.

I look at her little face, admiring and studying her baby face. She looks a lot like Steve. No, exactly like Steve.

I don't know what is exactly wrong with me but I felt the need to embrace her little form.

Slowly, I lean down and kiss her forehead. "Mommy will protect you, Clara." I whisper in her ears.

Then I head towards the bathroom to clean myself, leaving her on the bed.
_

One of the things that I learnt in the Red Room is that showering helps in washing our guilt away. Every time I kill, I feel very sick to the stomach and after I shower, I kinda feel relieved.