Chapter 8 : Scars

I was left alone over the night. Even with the lack of windows I knew that at least it had been a full 12 hours since Rhysands 'visit'. I attempted to sleep if you can even call it that. It had been impossible to find a comfortable position with my arms numb and chained above my head. Every time I dosed off I felt like someone was watching me. After searching every crack and crevice I spotted a surveillance camera hidden in the corner of the wall near the ceiling. I guess I could rest assured that I was never without a babysitter.

I found my mind wandering many a time to my previous encounters with Rhysand. I had given up on referring to him as my mate and that would not change until he proved that he actually felt like acting like one. His face swam laps in my head like an Olympic distance race. Back and forth with no end in sight. I remember his dark blue eyes that were like orbs of ocean waves. They tossed and turned with unsaid emotions. His dark curls had been so luscious I wondered what it would feel like to have my hands run through them. Has we met under different circumstances I could have done just that. It seemed everything about my life was out of the normal.

I had once wished for a mate along time ago. I envisioned him saving me from Ren and carrying me off into the sunset like a fairy tale. But in reality I was not a princess and Rhysand was most certainly not my knight in shining armor. Reality was that half of the time to princess gets stuck with a complete dick head.

The sound of the door opening echoes through the room in waves. It hurts my throbbing head which is just finishing ridding its self of the wolfsbane. The unfamiliar smell of cinnamon floods my senses as I glance over and find a boy maybe a few years older then me walking into the room with a tray of food and a medical bag. I greedily eye the food but then I immediately glance back to study this new addition to "Ali's life sucks; a reality show!".

The man who has just walked in is maybe at most a little over six feet with auburn eyes and caramel skin. He has chocolate brown hair that hangs in shaggy waves just above his neck. Even though he is wearing a black long sleeve shirt it hugs his body showing off his prominent muscles. Unlike many people I've met in the last couple of days his face is kind and a small smile graces his lips. It immediately makes me want to grin back.

"So this is the little she wolf that has sent my alpha into a rage." He says humorously.

A small laugh escapes from my parted lips. It sounds much more like a raspy bark but I'll take it.

"I prefer Ali if you don't mind. 'She Wolf' makes me sound much more intimidating then I really am." I reply

"Well from the way Alpha Rhysand and Jonathan talk about you, you could have fooled me." He says," By the way my name is Ezra. I'm the third around here. "

He walks closer to me and unlocks one of my hands. I rejoice with the small relief it provides. As soon as my wrist is completely freed I shake it out and bring it down to my side hoping I can regain a little feeling in it.

" I'm sorry but I have been given strict orders to only release on hand so you can eat. Although I can say that you are lucky, most prisoners here never get fed at all." Ezra takes a cup of water off of the tray in his hands and gives it to me. I immediately gulp it down relishing in the feeling of the cool liquid sliding down my parched throat. I groan in pleasure that it brings. All to soon it is gone.

I eye the other food on the tray like a thief would eye gold. The contents of the tray include white rice in a bowl, canned assortment of fruit, and a burnt roll. My stomach growls on cue. Ezra however makes no move to give me any of it.

" I promise to give you the food, all you have to do is answer some questions. One answer for one bite of food. Got it?" He says clearly and I nod my head vigorously.