39

"She's been kidnapped." 

"By who? The Akatsuki?" I asked, worried.

"No, not the Akatsuki. By the Land of the Unknown."

"Land of the Unknown? Just what the hell is that?!"

"It's a village that's rarely found by anyone in the world. They like to keep things a secret, even they're own village," Tsunade explained. "They've been interrogating Haru for the past two weeks, wanting some sort of information. When she refused, they started torturing her." Tsunade explained. 

"How do you know all this?" I asked. "They sent us a message earlier today," She answered. "This came along with it." 

She handed me a picture and my eyes widened at what I saw. There was Mom, bloodied, beaten, and bruised. She was bound to a brick wall as she was stripped out of her shirt with her green hair covering her breasts. The cuts on her body were fresh and noticeable everywhere. 

"Why...?!" I muttered as I clenched the photo in my hands. "Why are they doing this to her?! What do they want?!" I yelled. "They say, we have something that belongs to them." Tsunade explained. 

"What is it? Is it a scroll they want?" Shizune asked. "No, not a scroll, but some sort of book. According to the letter, Haru had found it and hidden it. They're willing to make a trade; Haru's freedom for the book." Tsunade said.

"Whatever's inside that book must be pretty important to do all this to Haru." Sakura said. "Naruto, do you think you can go back to the house and find that book?" Tsunade asked. "Yeah, just leave it to me." I said. 

I quickly ran back to the house and began searching for the book. "Where is it? Where is it?" I said, frantically searching the house.

After searching the living room, I began searching Mom's room. But after searching everywhere, I couldn't find it. I didn't want to give up, but there was nowhere else to search. I sighed and sat on Mom's bed. 

"Huh?" 

That's strange. Why does the bed feel stiff? I got up and faced the bed, pressing down on the mattress with my hands. Wait! Maybe...!

I took the whole mattress off the frame and found a book with a weird design on it.

It also seemed to have a warm glow to it. Either that, or my eyes are playing tricks on me. "This must be it," I said, picking it up in my hands. "But why would Mom hide something like this?"

(Flashback)

It was late in the middle of the night and I could hear murmuring coming from my Mother's room. "Mom?" Before I could open the door to her room, there was a faint glow coming from it. I spotted my Mother sitting at her desk as she was dressed in her nightgown.

A book was open in front of her as she read it. "No way. Unbelievable." I heard her mumble. What was she reading? "Mom?" I called, quietly. She quickly closed the book and stood from her chair, turning around to face me.