Chapter 11

Luna decided to accept Noah's invitation to the party. Because Luna is going to an indoor party and it was going to be well secured, her parents allowed her to go without Sean.

It was 7pm and Noah would be there to pick her up any minute now. Luna walked downstairs in a high neck lace and silk chiffon, canvas colored, floor length dress with capped sleeves. The doorbell ring as she was halfway down the stairs. She heard the door open and a deep muffled voice.

"She'll be right down

"She'll be right down." Luna was able to make out Maria's voice to the guest.

As Luna made her way down, she held onto the bottom of her long dress so she doesn't trip on it and embarrass herself. With a shy smile on her face, she lifted her eyes from the steps towards the bottom of the stairs and laid eyes on Grayson.

'Grayson?!' Luna's face paled. She paused for a second before continuing down the steps. When she reached the bottom, she let go of her dress and smoothed it out. She furrowed her brows. "Where's Noah?"

"He is stuck at a meeting."

"Oh... Why are you here? Shouldn't you be at the party since you are the host?"

Grayson motioned for her to come towards the door. "Noah asked me to pick you up." He opened the door. "I can't say no to a friend," and they both stepped out.

Grayson, with his long legs, reached his Mercedes-Benz first and opened the passenger door for Luna. Luna thanked him and got in. As Grayson drove off, silence filled the air. 'Should I make small talk?' Luna thought to herself. She isn't comfortable with long silences; it tends to make her blurt out anything and everything. 

"How long have you and Noah been friends?"

"Noah and I have been friends since middle school... so about 15 years?"

Luna let out a 'wow'. "That's a long time." 

It became quiet again.

"What do you like about Noah?" Grayson asked, breaking the silence.

"Ummm..."

'I don't want to tell my date's friend of 15 years how I feel about him.'

"He's—nice."

"You said that last time. Anything new?"

'Why do I feel like I'm being interrogated?'

"Well," Luna started. "Noah seems to be a very generous person. From what we've expressed, we also share similar likes."

"So, you two are compatible?"

"Well, I mean, we've only gone on one official date so I can't say anything for sure, but I can say I enjoy his company."

Grayson didn't say anything.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" As soon as Luna asked that question, she bit her corner of her bottom lip and scrunched her eyes. 'Why did I ask him that?' "You don't—"

"No," Grayson interrupted. "I don't have a girlfriend, but there is someone whom I'm developing an interest for."

"Oh." Luna didn't know why, but Grayson's answer stung a little. 'I like his friend,' Luna reminded herself.

After a bit more driving, they reached a beautifully lit mansion. Grayson stopped at the front of the entrance into the mansion and a man came over to his side to take the keys. Luna unbuckled her seatbelt and reached for the door handle, but it opened. She looked up and met Grayson's dark eyes.

'He has such beautiful eyes,' Luna quietly thought. As soon as she noticed the thought, she pushed it away. "Thank you." She was about to step out when Grayson held out his right hand in front of her. Luna's heart skipped a beat. With her left hand, she took his hand to support herself out of the car. She felt the warm, firm grasp of his hand. Her heart started beating faster. 'What is the matter with me?'

As soon as both her feet touched the ground, Luna pulled her hand away from Grayson's grip. She waited for Grayson to show her into his home. Grayson stepped up next to her and offered her his arm. "Huh?" Luna looked at Grayson. He turned to look at her, his expression unchanged. Luna really didn't want to link arms with the man who's unknowingly making her heart race.

"Oh, it's okay. I can walk in by myself."

"I wouldn't be a gentleman if I let a beautiful woman walk into a party by herself."

'Beautiful.'

Luna hesitated. "Oh fine," Luna gave in without much more convincing and linked her arm with his.

Luna's heart continued beating fast, her body heating up.

Grayson led her towards the mansion. The oversized doors swung open and they were presented with the many guests, scattered throughout the ground floor.

Everyone turned around to look at the newly arrived guests. Luna forgot how to breathe as they stood there for a second before walking into the room to join the others.

Some guests stopped staring and went on with their conversations, but some continued to stare.

"Who is that with Grayson? Who is she?" Luna heard some whispers asking about her. Luna was starting to feel very uncomfortable.

"Who is that fat woman following Grayson around?"

When Luna heard that comment, she immediately wanted to cower down to hide herself.

Grayson pulled his arm away from Luna's.Her heart sank. 'Grayson is probably embarrassed to be seen with me,' she thought, unable to continue her smile. Luna wanted to leave. As she continued to walk, her eyes fell to the floor.

She didn't notice Grayson getting closer to her until he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her right up against his side. Luna let out a surprised 'oh'. Grayson looked down at her. They stopped walking and stood in the middle of the room.

Luna slowly lifted her face up to look at his dark, piercing eyes; her heart beating crazily.

------------------------------------------------------

***Hi! So... I hope you found this chapter to be interesting. Even as the writer, I was starting to feel frustrated that nothing seemed to be happening between Luna and Grayson. I hope this chapter was a good start to whatever else is to come.

Thanks for the continued support. I truely appreciate each and every one of you! I will see you all in the next chapter!***