Chapter 46 - Gossip

Chad's POV

I was in my room when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I said.

My mother walked in and closed the door behind her. "How are you?" She asked.

"Fine." I mumbled.

My family were still angry at me. Even Alissa hadn't been talking to me properly, just using one syllable words.

"Why didn't you propose with your grandmother's ring?" She asked, looking into my eyes.

"Umm...I thought it would be best if I bought the new one. New life, new ring." I mumbled, avoiding her gaze.

"Are you sure?" My mother asked as she raised her eyebrow, unconvinced.

"Yeah." I muttered, running my hand through my hair.

"Because of it, or because you know that the ring is special, and Carter men always give it to the one who they are in love." She said as she looked into my eyes. "Because of that, you didn't have the heart to propose to her with that ring." She said confidently, folding her arms over her chest.

I nibbled my lower lip without looking at her. "Mom, don't start you too." I said as I ran my hand through my hair.

She sighed and approached me. "Chad, don't ruin your life." She said as she stroked my cheek gently.

"Mom, I don't. Don't worry." I gave her a reassuring smile and hugged her, sighing.

****

I put on a gray suit, a black shirt and a black tie. Tonight, there was a charity event. Our family was invited to the event too.

Daniella was abroad. She went to attend her cousin's wedding with her family.

I was sipping my drink talking to Sean. When I looked towards the entrance, I saw Elise walking in with her parents. She looked breathtaking in her coral long dress. When she looked towards me, our eyes met. She bit her lower lip, looking into my eyes. After my engagement, we hadn't talked properly. She had just congratulated me.

"Where are you looking at?" Sean interrupted my thoughts as he looked in the same direction where I was looking. A mischievous smirk appeared on his face. "Hmm."

"Don't dare to say anything." I warned him; I knew him very well that he would start making fun of me.

"Ok, bro. Chill out." He raised his hands in the air in surrender while smirking at me.

After I had finished washing my hands, I left the restroom.

I stopped when I heard what two women were talking about. Their backs were towards me, because of that, they continued talking.

"I saw Elise leaving my obstetrician's room this morning. I heard her conversation with the doctor; she is pregnant." A blond woman said.

What? I furrowed my eyebrows in a questioning expression.

"Are you sure?" A brunette woman asked.

"Yeah. I heard it with my own ears." She replied.

"Hmm...Who is the baby daddy? I am really curious." The brunette asked.

"Really?! I bet he is Chad. She got pregnant to secure her position. But her plan didn't work, he got engaged to another woman." The blonde said.

The brunette laughed. "Yeah, possible or someone else. She opens her legs to everyone; she is a slut. She cheated on his boyfriend with Chad." She added and they walked away.

I clenched my fist angrily while gritting my teeth as they called Elise slut.

She is pregnant. This sentence was running in my mind.

I grabbed my phone and called Mark. This morning he called me, but I could pick up my phone; I was so busy. Because of that, I couldn't talk to him today.

"Did Elise go to the obstetrician this morning?" I snapped as soon as he picked up his phone.

"Yes, sir. She went to the obstetrician. I asked the receptionist after she had left the hospital. It was a regular pregnancy check up." He informed me.

I pulled the phone away from my ear, astonished. She is pregnant. She is pregnant with my child. Our baby. The corner of my lips curled up into a smile. I am going to be a father. I felt so happy. I was holding myself hard from jumping and screaming that I am going to be a father.

I should break off the engagement with Daniella. Then Elise and I can get married. Yes. And as soon as possible.

My expression changed as I thought that she kept her pregnancy a secret.

I clenched my fist and went towards her. She was standing beside her and my parents in the corner of the hall.

"Is it true?" I snapped, looking into her eyes, ignoring our families.

"What?" She mumbled, biting her lower lip nervously.

"Chad, what is going on?" My father intervened angrily. I ignored him.

"Are you pregnant?" I snapped without taking my eyes off her.

She looked at me, shocked, her mouth agape. Our families gasped in shock.

Elise was staring at me without saying anything. This silence got on my nerves.

Dammit! Say something!

"Is it true?" I snarled as I slammed my fist onto the table beside us, ignoring curious eyes staring at us

"Is it true?" I snarled as I slammed my fist onto the table beside us, ignoring curious eyes staring at us. She jolted in her place.

"Chad, calm down. Everyone is looking at us." My mother intervened.

"I don't give a damn." I snapped without taking my eyes off Elise for a second, waiting for her answer. "Answer me!" I hissed at Elise. Her cheeks flushed as she nodded.

I closed my eyes as I ran my hand through my hair, ignoring wide eyes staring at us.

"Chad, I think it will be good if two of you talk to each other somewhere else." My mother suggested. "Come on, Elise." She placed her hands on our backs dragging us out and headed us towards one of the private rooms.

My mother left us alone after demanding I calmed down. I ran my hand through my hair and gripped my hair angrily.

"When were you going to tell me?" I asked, trying to calm down.

Elise was looking at her hands, her fingers entwined tightly, her cheeks pink.

I gave her a questioning look as I asked. "At least were you planning to tell me?"

She was still avoiding my gaze, looking down without saying anything.

Another silence. I shook my head, frustrated while gritting my teeth. I approached her. She stepped back. She stopped as her thighs pressed against the couch.

"You weren't. Am I right?" I hissed as I placed my finger under her chin and lifted her head up, letting our eyes meet.

She bit her lower lip, looking into my eyes. "....I don't know." She mumbled.