Chapter 56 - Unburden

Chad's POV

I averted my eyes. "...Of course." I mumbled.

She laughed mockingly. "Don't lie to me....and even yourself. You love her. I am not a fool. I see it in your eyes. When you look at her, your eyes are shining." I bit my lower lip without saying anything.

She sighed. "I think it is for the best for all of us." She said as she took off the engagement ring slowly.

"No, Daniella. Please, forgive me. Give me another chance." I pleaded.

"I am sorry, Chad." She held my hand and put the ring on my palm. "Let's just be friends." She added.

"Daniella...I am sorry." I mumbled, squeezing the ring in my hand and left.

I parked my car by the ocean. I got out of the car and pulled the ring out of my pocket. I breathed deeply and threw the ring into the water. Deep inside my heart, I really felt relieved. I placed my hands into my pockets, watching the waves.

I went to visit Elise afterwards. I parked my car in front of the mansion. I got out of the car. Mark approached me and greeted me.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yes, sir. Everything is under control." He replied.

I nodded, and I walked towards the door.

Her mother greeted me and told me Elise was in her room, resting. So I went to her room.

I knocked on the door and walked in. She smiled at me when she saw me. She sat up on the bed and leaned against the headboard.

"Hey. How are you?" I asked as I approached her.

"Hi. Fine. Thanks." She gave me a bright smile, melting my heart.

I bent over and placed a soft kiss on her hair, filling my nostrils with her divine scent. I pulled away and stroked her stomach gently, smiling happily. Then I sat beside her on the bed.

"Did you talk to Daniella?" She asked, giving me an inquiring look.

"Yeah." I muttered.

"And? Is she angry at you?" She asked, playing with the hem of her cover.

"Pretty much." I said, forcing a smile. I ran my hand through my hair as I sighed and added. "She broke off the engagement."

Her eyes widened in surprise, but I noticed little happiness in her eyes that she immediately hid. But she was late; I had already seen it. That made me happy, giving me some hope. Maybe....

"I don't want to come between you and Daniella." She interrupted my thoughts as she said in guilt. "If you want, I can talk to her and explain everything to her."

"No need

"No need. Don't worry." I held her hand, giving her an assuring smile. "And it isn't related to you. It is about me. I should have told them before leaving. It was my fault." I said. I looked into her eyes, stroking her hand with my thumb. "But it isn't important anymore." I placed my hand on her stomach. "Both of you are safe. It is the only thing I care about." I admitted honestly. She smiled at me.

After spending some time with Elise, I left, despite the fact I didn't want to leave her side for a second.

As I got in my car, I called my security chief and asked him if he found anything about Chris. I had ordered him to find information about that sleazeball since he bothered Elise at the cafe. I knew he didn't stay away from Elise.

"Did you find anything?" I asked.

"Yes, sir. I think you will be interested in it." He replied proudly.

"Great. Be in the company in twenty minutes." I ordered and hung up.

I was examining the file David had brought me with a self-satisfied smile on my face. In this file was everything to make him pay. I closed the file as I looked at David who was standing in front of me with a serious expression.

"Good job, David." I exclaimed.

He gave me a proud smile. "What to do with it?" He asked.

"Destroy him." I replied firmly as I leaned back against the back of my seat. He nodded and left.

Elise's POV

I put a black mini dress on and put my hair in a ponytail. After applying a light makeup, I grabbed my bag and left my room.

I decided to talk to Daniella. I felt guilty. I didn't want to come between Chad and Daniella.

Mark opened the door as I approached the car.

"Take me to Daniella's house." I said.

His eyes widened as he looked at me, still holding the door for me. He cleared his throat and said as he finally got rid of his surprise. "Ms.Martin, I don't think Mr.Carter will approve it."

I raised my eyebrow at him. "I don't need his approval." I said firmly and got in the car. He nodded and closed the door.

Mark parked the car in front of her house and got out of the car. He opened the door for me. I breathed deeply and got out of the car.

I knocked on the door. I felt a little nervous.

A few seconds later, she opened the door. She looked at me, surprised when she saw me.

"Could we talk?" I asked. She nodded and let me in.

"Would you like something to drink?" She asked.

"No, thanks." I gave her a slight smile. I breathed deeply and said. "I am sorry. I didn't want to be the reason for your split. I don't want to come between you and Chad."

Suddenly, my phone rang. I pulled my phone out of my bag. It was Chad. I declined his call and put my phone on silent.

"You always were between us, Elise." She said in a sarcastic voice. " Don't you see? He is madly in love with you." She said, pointing to my phone with a head gesture, forcing a smile. "And nothing will change it." She added with a serious expression. I blushed, averting my gaze. "You love him too. Why are both of you so stubborn?" She sighed and ruffled her hair. "Give him a chance. For both of you. Finding true love is difficult. Don't lose it for meaningless stubbornness."