37

"I will be flying back next Monday," my mom yelled to me front the front porch as I entered the passenger side of my so-called father. I waved my hand to her slightly and closed the door quickly putting my seatbelt on as soon as I got comfortable. I was only spending about a week with him, my stuff was pack in the back seat. He entered the driver's side and started the car.

We did not bother speaking a word to each other since he came to pick me up, "so, what station should I play?" He asked as he got out of the parking lot. I looked over at him and at the radio, I grabbed my headphones from my pocket inserting them in my ear. "I guess no station," I heard him say before my music started blasting in my ear. 

He tapped my shoulders after a while and took my headphones away from my ear, "you decided to come so you will be playing nice," he ordered. He grabbed the phone, "no phones, we will be having a normal conversation like old people used to do before they had technology," I looked at him, he sure as hell did not pay my phone bills and he could not take it. 

He threw the phone into the glove compartment, we stopped at a red light and he locked it making sure I would not have access to it. "Now are you ready to talk?" He asked, "it's a long drive," he added after a while.

"I have nothing to talk to you about," I said crossing my hands over my chest. I turned and looked out the window. 

"That's fine because I have plenty for us both, what's your favorite food?" He asked me, I did not answer him, "do you like to go fishing?"

"These are things parents already know about their kids before they are almost an adult," I told him. "Parents do not have to ask their kids those type of questions because they learn them through their behavior."

"Bianca, I am sorry that I do not know anything about you, but I am trying right now and that's what matters," he said. 

"Really?" I questioned him, I snickered shaking my head. "You shouldn't be trying right now, you should have tried a long time ago," I said. 

He shook his head, I suddenly felt the car stop. I look out the window and saw that we were on the side of the road. "Look, Bianca, I am sorry," he said putting his hands up in defense. I turned and ignored his apology, it was way too late for that.

"I don't need nor want your apology," I told him, "just stop trying to fix something you can't," I watched as he let out a deep sigh and started up the car again. The road seemed empty and peaceful as he drove out of town. 

"Let's talk about something else, your mom said you got a chance to go play at the Olympics. That's really cool," he said. I rolled my eyes, I remembered when the lady repeated the words. I was so excited, despite my excitement, I still have no not given her a decision. Accepting would only mean that I would be leaving a few weeks after graduation. The team is stationed in California where they do all their practices. Even though our next Olympic is not for four more years. 

Apparently, we would have to practice and play against each other, that would determine who actually got a chance to play in the big game. And not to forget the friendly games we often times have against Canada. This was complicated, I was afraid of my future because I did not know what to do and now I know what to do and it seems like I fear it more. I fear how much I want to play professionally and stay here. I knew the only reason I wanted to stay was because of CJ; the thing I was trying to avoid was happening in front of my eyes.

I think my feelings for him were more serious than I thought. The thought of leaving him only gave me a stomach ache. What hurts most was the fact CJ sounded so supportive of it, I shook the thought out. Today was me making John's life hell, not me thinking about my hard life decisions. "You know my daughter and one of my sons play soccer. They play at the university," John said. It was the first time I heard him talk about his kids. "I guess soccer runs in the family,"  he chuckled. I did not answer him. "Or not, my youngest can't even shoot a ball," I felt like laughing.