C H A P T E R 3 1

What is coming is better than what is gone.

Olivia and I had celebrated my win with two buckets of delicious ice cream each and a movie marathon of our favorites till the early hours of the morning. After that we had retired to our respective rooms to get some sleep.

At the breakfast table, things were awkward. It was just the four of us. Apparently, all of us had woken up a little too late and were having lunch instead of breakfast.

I had my reasons for waking up late. I was celebrating with movies and unhealthy food and hence, had gone to bed late. However, I was curious as to why the two businessmen had woken up late. They had nothing to celebrate and yet they had woken up late for probably the first time since my stay here.

From what I knew of them, they were very strict about their schedules and wouldn't 'waste' time sleeping.

Ethan looked handsome and for once he was not in his business attire at the table. The dark circles he had a few days ago had disappeared and he almost looked happy. How could he though? If I had lost, I wouldn't have been able to look him in the eye for probably my whole life.

As the awkward silence between the four of us started to suffocate me, I cleared my throat and glanced at Ethan with a smirk on my face.

"So how does it feel like to lose, you loser?"

Olivia nudged me in the shoulder with her hand. "Don't be mean to him. We meant it when we said that you two should act like civilized people around each other. What happened yesterday wasn't childish enough for you?"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Fine. You're no fun."

Ethan looked up and gave me charming smile. I was taken aback. It almost looked like a real smile.

"You would know better as you've failed your life. I've achieved so much in my life. I don't mean to brag, but if I start to list off all the things, it might take a while. Losing this children's game means nothing to me. It might seem like a big deal to people like you because this is probably the first thing you've actually achieved. So, sorry but I cannot give you the satisfaction of seeing me upset when actually I'm not." He said, getting up. "Excuse me but I have to go and work unlike some good-for-nothing people."

Yup, that was definitely his go to statement whenever he lost something to me.

I glared at Olivia. "You didn't say anything to him. He was mean to me."

"This was not what we had in mind," Tristan mumbled. "You guys are impossible."

***

"What happened to you guys?" Keith asked as he chopped vegetables for lunch. It had been four days since want happened and Ethan and I had ignored each other at breakfast, lunch and dinner. We rarely encounter each other in any other place.

This didn't go unnoticed by Tristan and Olivia and the two had been pretty much forcing me to be 'friends' with him. Like that would ever happen.

The other cooks were working on other dishes and I was sat on the kitchen counter, munching on chips as I watched Keith cook. I wasn't in the mood to cook today so I just settled for watching him cook.

I shrugged. "You noticed?"

"Well, yeah. It was pretty much obvious from the first day that something huge had happened."