C H A P T E R 3 7

Sometimes all we need is just a new perspective.

We both froze in our places when we heard the clear click-clack of heels against the marble floor.

I held my breath in anticipation.

"Juliet, there's someone here to meet you!" Amelia's enthusiastic voice made my heart clench in fear.

We didn't turn around and Amelia called for me again and grabbed my arm to turn me around.

As soon as I turned around, I was met with the nightmare next to Amelia.

She was smiling at me. Anytime now she would recognize me and then spill my secret in this room full of hundred people, and more were pouring in.

She stepped forward and I thought she was going to hit me but instead, she hugged me. To say I was shocked would be an understatement.

When she pulled back, she was grinning at me. "Happy birthday, Juliet."

"Ashley," I breathed out.

"Glad to you know you still remember me." She giggled.

"What're you doing here?"

She blinked at me, clearly looking confused. "What do you mean? It's my childhood friend's birthday and you don't expect me to come?"

"What?"

"Well, if Mrs. Jenson hadn't invited me, I would've never known that you were found. I have to admit I was very disappointed when she told me that you were found a month ago. Why didn't you try to contact me? Sure, as we grew up we didn't keep in touch as much as we used to but that doesn't mean that you return and you don't even tell me about it. I'm very hurt," she said in mock anger.

"What?" I asked again. Did she really think I was Juliet too? Did she not remember a girl named Julie in one of her classes who she had a nasty fight with?

"Why are you looking so shocked? Is there something on my face?" She asked, feeling up her cheek for anything.

"No, uh..." I looked at Olivia and she was just staring at us with her lips slightly parted.

"Who's this?" Ashley asked, looking at Olivia. Olivia and I studied in different colleges and I only ever met her at the café or hung out with her alone so there was no way Ashely knew her from anywhere

"Oh, uh...this is Olivia Rivera, my friend."

"Nice to meet you," Olivia said.

"I'm Ashley Johnson, Juliet's childhood friend."

"Great," Olivia said blankly.

"If you don't mind, can I talk to Juliet, alone," Ashley asked Olivia. Olivia shrugged.

"Fine."

I wanted to shout at her for leaving me alone with Ashley but refrained from doing so.

Ashley sat next to me on the bar stool and ordered a drink for herself.

"I've got loads to ask you and loads to tell you."

"Okay. What do you want to ask?"

"Everything. Tell me everything about this whole runaway thing you did."

I sighed silently before repeating the same made up story.

"Whoa. Sounds like you had fun," Ashley said, sipping her wine.