C H A P T E R 4 9

❝We are only as blind as we want to be.❞

Today I was determined to talk to Ethan when I caught sight of him in his suit, ready for work.

I didn't see him at breakfast so I assumed he was done with it already. I didn't have much time to catch up with him.

Grabbing a hoodie from the closet, I quickly put it on and hurried down. I was lucky he was just getting in his car when I burst out the front door. He didn't see me because he got in his car at that exact moment.

I ran towards it and threw open the door before getting in and closing it behind me.

He looked a little stunned by my actions and blinked a couple of times.

"What're you doing?" He asked, angling his body to face me.

"Let's talk."

He huffed and faced the front. "I don't have time to talk to you right now."

"I lost count of the number of times you said that to me in the past two weeks."

"Your point?"

"Why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not avoiding you. I'm very busy so I don't have time-"

"Oh really? You have time to go on dates with Heather. You have time to eat. You have time to drink. You have time to sleep. You have time to breathe. But what you don't have time for is to talk to me other than you telling me that you don't have time. I'm not stupid, okay? I know it when there's a problem. So please tell me. Did I do or say something wrong? I tried to think of a reason as to why you would be like this and can't come up with anything."

Ethan didn't meet my eyes. He stared straight ahead whilst clutching the steering wheel hard. "Please get out. I have an important meeting."

I gaped at him. "So you're really going to be like this? Fine. I'm not getting out." I declared, about to put the seat belt on.

He leaned over and grabbed my hand midway from putting on the seatbelt and opened the door for me.

"I told you I'm not going," I said firmly.

After a few minutes of protesting over this, he finally heaved an irritated sigh and got out instead. He jogged over to my side and opened the door.

"Get out before I make you."

I shook my head and clutched at the seat belt which I managed to put on.

"Fine. You asked for it," he said and bent down to take off my seatbelt. I stubbornly held on to it.

He suddenly turned his head in my direction and I froze at the proximity, our lips a mere distance apart.

All too soon he ducked out from the car. I noticed that by that time he had unbuckled me.

Before I knew what was happening, I was lifted from my seat bridal style.

"No, no, no!"

But before he could set me on my feet, I clung on to him. I probably looked ridiculous hanging from him like a monkey with my legs around his waist and hands around his neck. I didn't even know how I managed to get in that position.