C H A P T E R 5 0

But friends don't look at each other the way we do.❞

After breakfast I intended to confront Ethan once and for all but Mr. Jenson's voice stopped me. He beckoned me to his office.

When I stepped in, he was at his desk, working. For a second, I could actually picture Ethan in his place - old but still dedicated to his work.

"Juliet. What have I been hearing about you from Ethan? You went to his workplace and stayed there the whole day?" He asked as soon as I took a seat in front of him.

My smile dropped and my eyes widened as I realised Ethan blabbed about me to him.

"Why did you do that? He complained to me that he found your presence intruding and uncomfortable. What's your explanation?"

"I-I," I stammered and blushed. I hadn't expected him to tell Mr. Jenson everything like a little kid would do to his parent. "I felt like he was avoiding me purposefully with the excuse of work. I tried several times to confront him about it but he dodged my questions each time. So I had no other way than to force the answers out of him." If he was going to involve dad into this, I might as well let him know the full truth about the situation or else my actions could be misunderstood.

"I don't know what's going on between you two but I don't want you to interfere with his work. Personal matters should be resolved at home. And how could you be so reckless? What if someone had recognized you and taken pictures? I thought you told me you were not ready to face the media."

"I'm not! I'm not ready. And I'm sorry I acted careless and annoying. I promise this won't repeat."

"Good. Ethan is here to learn from me. I don't want him to get distracted or disturbed by anything and I want to be a good host and guide him. From tomorrow he will be accompanying me to the company and closely observe the workings and how I manage everything."

"Yes, I understand." I nodded meekly.

"Good. Now if you want anything go and buy it." He shooed me off before slyly adding,"Except for a human."

I groaned. I doubted anyone in this house would ever let me forget that one thing I did but actually didn't do.

Stepping out of the office, I didn't need to check to see if Ethan was gone or not because I was sure he was.

Chasing after him was tiring. No matter how fast I was, he was always one step ahead of me. Not to mention it was starting to hurt my pride as I was not the type to chase after someone.

So I decided that I'd make one last attempt to talk things out with him and if he still chose to be childish and avoid me, then I wouldn't pursue him anymore.

When night time rolled around, I was waiting for Ethan to show up at dinner but he did not. I took that as another sign of something not right between us.

I waited in my room, my ears perked for any sounds that would alert me of his presence.

Precisely half an hour after midnight, I heard soft footsteps from the hallway which sounded like they were getting nearer.

I got off the bed and calmly walked towards the door. When I pulled it open, Ethan met me in front of our doors. He seemed a little surprised,  probably wondering why I was still awake.

But he turned away and was about to put a hand on his door knob to open it when I took a few steps towards him.

"Ethan," I said, grabbing his door knob before he could. His back faced me, my nose almost touching his shoulder.