CHAPTER 2

Dev was riding a black horse, while I was riding a white one. He seemed lost, looking around to find the way to Anjan. Our family was invited for lunch by King Indra. It looked like a casual meeting, but I know it wasn't. If I am not wrong they are meeting to have a discussion about who should claim the empty land between the two kingdoms. It was left empty for centuries except for a few trees. Not even animals live there, but now due to the increase in population the two kingdoms wanted to claim the land for themselves. They didn't want to go for a war because the kings were childhood friends. However, they didn't want to sacrifice the land either and I believe they arranged this meeting to settle things down. Maybe they will part it into two halves or maybe they will analyze the situation and come to some other conclusion. I don't know. I would have been in Anjan by now if it was not for Dev's stupid idea to disguise as common people and explore Anjan. I had to go with him cause he is too young to go all by himself. He claimed to have known the way and here we are stuck on the road in the middle of this land with our horses and limited food supplies and one soldier with us.

"We are lost, aren't we?" I asked staring deep into his eyes trying to look angry.

"I am sure, Dharani. You will be able to find the way. I trust you," he said confidently.

Really? He was the one who claimed to be a know it all. I frowned and was about to say something when we were interrupted by a low scream for help. Someone seemed to be in trouble. I asked Dev to stay there and instructed the soldier to take care of him. I rode my horse along the direction of the sound making sure I had my sword on. I couldn't take Dev with me. He is too young. Just a few steps and I found a man lying there. He wasn't hurt in particular but was exhausted, and when I say exhausted I mean it. He looked as if there isn't a drop of blood inside him. As soon as he saw me, he tried to pull his body together and run away, though he knew he couldn't. Maybe he was afraid of the sword in my hand. I slowly kept my sword back and showed him the water bottle in my hand. He seemed to trust me as he stayed still and I slowly approached him and gave him the bottle. His hands shivered to hold it right, so I helped him. However, before he could have a sip we heard the sounds of galloping horses and before we could even realize what was happening a tall well-built man in his early twenties approached us and grabbed the man beside me by his collar. He eyes were red with anger and he looked as if he is going to kill the poor man.

"Don't dare escape me, mister," he warned as the man almost fell unconscious. 

Grabbing the unconscious man harder, he turned towards me. Judging by his dress, he looked like a police officer from Anjan. Probably an officer with the highest rank cause he was equipped with almost seven swords around his belt. He also had two knives in his socks.

"Got anything to say? " he demanded looking straight into my eyes. What? What would I have to say? What does he mean by asking me this question?

"He needs water," I said pointing to the water bottle that fell on the ground. 

He rolled his eyes and walked towards me. 

"Anything to say in your defense?" he asked raising his voice, "Or would you like to just accept that you are a partner in his crime, give him some water, and chill in prison for the rest of your life?"

Oh, wait. He thinks I was helping this guy and so I could be this guy's partner in crime. What? Do I really look like that?

"Speak up," he demanded again and I had it enough. This officer had already started to believe that I could be a criminal.

"I just found him here," I spoke in defense, "He was struggling, so I gave him some wat..."

"You are here alone in the afternoon with a sword and a water bottle and you just decided to help a criminal trying to escape. Seems legit," he nodded. I've had it enough. No one had ever spoken to me like this. Heck, I am a princess, though I hate bragging about it.

"Stop making assumptions," I said raising my voice but still trying to be polite. 

"I am with my younger brother and he is just a few steps away. I would appreciate it if you could come along and see," I said pointing towards the road.

He stared at me for a while before pulling out the handcuffs. He handcuffed the criminal and looked at me. I was kind of afraid he would handcuff me as well. I would have never let that happen anyway but he was wise enough.

"You better be telling the truth," he said as he signaled me to take him to my brother.

"I never lie," I replied sternly before waking him down the road.

A few steps, I could already see my brother aimlessly looking around. I looked back to see the expression on the officer's face. I expected him to be guilty, but he was surprised.

"Dev?" he murmured before turning towards me. Wait he knows Dev? How come? Dev is too young to be well known. Half of our citizens don't even recognize him and this man from Anjan knows him? How come?

"Arjun," Dev screamed delightedly as he saw us and started running towards us. My heart skipped a beat. So this man standing beside me is Arjun, the ruthless prince Dev talked about. I gasped in awe as the two hugged each other and Arjun smiled and patted Dev's head as he if was a child. I wouldn't blame him for that, Dev does look and act like a child but I couldn't help but notice the fact that Arjun was still tightly holding onto the culprit with his other hand, though there was practically no way he could escape. God...this guy is ruthless indeed!

  (Hello everyone. Thank you for making it till here. Please vote and comment on the story. I would love to hear your opinions. Also, the next chapter will be released on 18 October. Thank you. Love you all)