CHAPTER 39

Dharani's POV:

"There is a surprise for you in Mitra," Arjun told me as we were on our way.

"What is it that would surprise me in my own kingdom?" I asked curiously.

"Wait for it," Arjun replied without any expression and we continued moving. We received a grand welcome from Mitra. Mother and father were overwhelmed upon seeing us. After a few initial formalities we were guided to our respective rooms. After a while, Dev came to meet me.

"Dharani do you know anything about Arjun's whereabouts?" he asked.

"He must be in his room," I replied.

"No," he said waving his hand, "He is in Deepak's house."

"Deepak's house in Mitra? Why did he go there?" I asked curiously.

"To plan your surprise. Do you know what the surprise is?" he asked again. I shrugged.

"He is going to propose you," he answered hugging me excitedly. "Don't reject him," he added again after which he pulled himself back.

"As if you had a choice. You are already his wife," he said and then burst out laughing.

"Shut up," I said slapping him playfully, "I still have a choice and don't tell me what to do."

"Someone is blushing..." he said playfully and I slapped him again on his shoulder.

Arjun is going to propose me. God, I am really excited for the moment. How will he propose me though? I just hope he doesn't come with swords to propose me. That would be really awkward. How should I react if he proposes to me? Who the hell would propose after marriage?

As I was engrossed in my thoughts I heard someone shouting my name. It was Priya. She sounded as if she was in some trouble. I ran outside followed by Dev to find Priya running towards me. Father and mother also came out hearing the chaos. I ran toward a tired Priya. Isn't Arjun with Priya? What happened to her and what is Arjun doing? Priya fell into my arms.

"Priya what happened?" I asked trying to wake up an almost unconscious Priya.

"Save Deep.." Priya fell unconscious before she could finish her say. Save Deepak? What happened to him? Why would anything happen to him when Arjun is around? 

Around five guards came into the court and that's when I realized that Priya was being chased. Chased by Minjan guards! They immediately bowed to us.

"Why are you chasing Priya?," Dev asked as I was busy waking Priya up. However, their answer shocked me beyond words.

"We were given orders to imprison her," they replied.

"By whom?" I asked still not trusting my ears as my voice shivered and my eyes became moist.

"Prince Arjun," they replied and tears rolled down my eyes. Is this his surprise? Why does he always go behind my friends? Why is he so keen to imprison people I love? What's wrong with him? What has Priya done to him? She is such an innocent soul. I suddenly recalled Priya's words.

"What happened to Deepak?" I asked.

"He was imprisoned," they replied "and he is on his way to Anjan prison along with his mom and younger brother."

What? Arjun got the whole family imprisoned and he is taking them to Anjan prison. What will he do to them over there? Torture them? For what? What has Deepak's younger brother and mother done to him? They probably met him for the first time. Doesn't he know that Deepak's mom and brother are citizens of Mitra and that he has no right on them? Neither does he have any exclusive right on Deepak? Technically what he is doing is illegal...but Arjun never does anything wrong as long as he is in his right state of mind. What happened to him? What is suddenly wrong with him?

"Princess may we..." the soldiers asked as they tried to approach an unconscious Priya. I had it enough. Arjun is not going to imprison another innocent soul.

"No," I said as I pulled my sword out. 

The soldiers were taken aback and so were everyone. They weren't expecting me to raise the sword. I never raised a sword on any guards before. I never was a rebel.

"Priya is a citizen of Minjan and I will protect her," I said. "Tell prince Arjun to come with proper evidence before imprisoning her."

I then turned towards my father who was equally angry but was still maintaining his cool.

"Father can you please..."

He understood me before I could finish my sentence.

"Stop Arjun before he crosses the border," he ordered his guards. "Tell him that I wanted to meet him and take Deepak and his family into your custody." He looked over an unconscious Priya.

"Call the doctor. Priya will stay here. Make sure you keep an eye on her, " he added.

I was taken aback. "But father..." I opposed.

"Dharani, do you seriously think Arjun will ask the soldiers to imprison Deepak's family for no reason?" father interrupted me. "I am sure he has a reason. Don't be blinded by your emotions. Let us talk to him before judging his behavior."

"They are innocent father," I opposed.

"Maybe, but it is important we look into the issue from his point of view," father said.

"father but..."

"This is my order, Dharani. We will ensure that all of them are safe but they will stay in custody until the matter gets sorted. No more arguments."

I fell silent. Maybe father was right. I need the answers as well. Why did you do this Arjun? Why?

(Hey guys, thank you so much for making it till here. Wish you a very happy new year 2019. So the next chapter will be published on 3 January 2019. So stay tuned. Thank you. Love you all. Oh yeah, please vote and comment. You have no idea how much they mean to me.)