CHAPTER 34

Day 7:

Dharani's POV:

This is the last day we are going to be here. We also had this evening performance in the Janmashtami celebrations after which hopefully we could reveal our identity in a peaceful way. Sonu wasn't home yet and Arjun insisted that I should be the one to meet him first because his presence might scare Sonu. 

KNOCK KNOCK

I heard someone on the door. 

"Must be amma," Arjun said and I got up to open the door to find amma and Sonu. Sonu was shocked upon seeing me. Like he was literally frozen.

"Sonu she is Rani, our new neighbor," amma introduced me.

"Nice meeting you Sonu," I smiled, "You are going to be absolutely speechless when you see amma's sword skills." I purposefully stressed on the words speechless to let him know that I wanted to keep him silent. It sounded more like a warning though I didn't intend it to go that way.

Sonu nodded and amma went on to introduce him to Arjun.

"How's the training going Sonu? What are the skills that you are currently learning?" was the first question Arjun asked him. Seriously Arjun? Can you please give him a break and let go of your obsession with this training. Sonu answered him, though he felt uncomfortable addressing Arjun as Arun, and with the whole interaction in general. It is not easy when your strict teacher suddenly shows up as your neighbor and you have to deal with it without letting anyone know about it. I gave him some water to calm him down.

It was afternoon and we all got ready for the events. I felt sorry for Sonu for he had to stay for three hours answering all of Arjun's questions while his mom left telling him to have fun(?) with Arun. Apparently, it was Acharya who took charge of the training and everything was going pretty well. The boys had mastered horse riding and are now capable of intermediate sword fighting skills. So we went for the Janmashtami celebrations and god this is the best day of my life. The celebrations were too good with all the bhajans, dancing, and prayers. It was as if the entire kingdom gathered for the celebrations. Rumor also has it that the Royals might join any moment. Yeah, the Royals might join any moment. Our performance was a hit as Arjun thankfully decided to keep his warrior instincts away for a while. We sat in the crowd enjoying the rest of the performances. Suddenly we heard the royal drums and my heart skipped a beat. Before anyone could realize what had happened a group of soldiers surrounded me and Arjun. Though it was unintentional amma, Chutki and Sonu were inside the circle with us.

"Please don't arrest them. Rani didn't forge the signatures on purpose. She did it to save her husband," Amma said as she came in front of us. Her innocence broke my heart. My heart was filled with guilt and my eyes became moist. I felt someone holding my hand tight and I knew it was Arjun. I looked up to him and realized that he was in a far worse state. He was literally crying with his eyes closed and his head down. I never knew he was this emotional. I realized it was time, to tell the truth and I am suppossed to do that. Arjun is in no position to open his mouth.

"Amma, it's not a complete forgery ... I..I am princess Dharani and he is prince Arjun...." I said.

Amma was taken aback and she was at loss of words. She looked at the soldiers and maybe realized that they were protecting us. She then turned to Sonu who nodded confirming my statement. Arjun's grip on my hand tightened and we were just standing there like culprits. After what seemed like forever amma finally spoke.

"So you will leave?" she asked. Yes, that was the first thing that came out. She didn't accuse us of betrayal. Neither did she ask us why we did all this. I couldn't hold my tears anymore and I just stood there crying like a baby while Arjun immediately hugged her. 

"Sorry, amma. I am really sorry," he cried holding her tight. His tears made me cry even more and Chutki who was beside me all the while decided to do what she could. She hugged me rolling her hands around my knees. I lifted her up and she hugged me properly wrapping her hands around my neck. I hugged her as well, placing my hand on her head. The thought of getting separated from her and never being able to be Rani again intensified my sorrow. 

"Amma, you can meet us anytime you want," Arjun said as he finally withdrew himself, "and not just you...Chutki, Manoj uncle anyone who is a citizen on Minjan. Feel free to meet us. We are there to serve you," he said wiping his tears and getting back to normal.

"And amma," he continued, "You should join the army. You are a great warrior. You might not be able to join a war but you could be a police officer. Trust me, age is no limit. You will be an inspiration for Minjan women."

Meanwhile, Chutki who seemed to understand just a little decided to take part in the conversation as well.

"You are the princess?" she asked turning my head towards her. I nodded.

"Can you get my dad and uncle out?" she asked again.

"After two weeks," I answered with a heavy heart, "but I can take you to meet them."

"Okay, but why two weeks?" she asked again.I thought for a while before giving an answer.

"They had some work there. It will be finished in two weeks."

Chutki still had some doubts but she seemed satisfied.

"Can I come with you now?" she asked again, "Can I see the palace too?"

"Well, the palace isn't..."

"The construction of the palace is done princess," a soldier informed me.

"Great. Chutki we can see the palace together," I said and Chutki screamed in joy.

We still have one more person whom we should talk to. Manoj uncle.

(Hey guys, thank you for making it till here. Please vote and comment. Also the next chapter will be published on 24 December 2018. So stay tuned. Thank you and love you all.)