The Lies. The Truth. (7.16)

||Mason||

Somewhere in between

Tapping my finger on the steering wheel, I kept stealing glances to my left side. My Etherati seated on the passenger seat has forced her eyes shut, as she hums an annoying tune along with the the radio. Attrius and Titus are intently staring her way as well, hoping to evoke a reaction.

"Esme" I call her out, growing impatient of her abysmal reaction. She's been ignoring us since the very second we four sat in the car.

Attrius that is seated directly behind me, hits the back of my car seat, causing for me to bend forward, "It's all your fault."

Turning towards Es again, who is still frozen in the same position she was in ten minutes back when we had started on this journey. With the help of the rear view mirror, I glare at Attrius, growling, "Not mine, but my twins."

Titus roughly pulls on his hair, groans "Would you for goddess sake stop pouting." When she remains stoic, he slumps back, whining, "Sunshine?"

Attrius like a child uses the space between the front two seats, and pokes her cheek, "Silent treatment, real mature, Esme."

Does he realise he's using a tactic that's used by a child.

Swatting his hand away from one hand, and removing her seatbelt from the other, she turns her body backward, "Is it considered mature to kick out my friends that came all way home to pick me up for school?"

My car sways, beast restless about how she's putting her life in jeopardy without proper security measures, with the help of cruise control, my hands leave the steering wheel, and with one I make her sit straight the other, secures back the seatbelt. "This stays on, always!" I hiss.

Immaturely, but certainly adorably she mimics me.

Attrius was growing agitated with each passing second, in a low monotone, desperately trying hide his anxiety, "The six of us go to school together, it won't change now."

From the corner of my eyes, I can see she had a response prepared, suddenly she shakes her head and bites back her response. Her hands start to play with the hem of her shirt.

What was that all about?
She's hiding something.

Before I could probe her regarding this matter, Titus hissed, "Not to forget, they stay on the same Island. It's merely a twenty minute drive ."

Attrius twists his body, with his head motions to the car that had been following us since we left home. "Also aren't your supposed friends following us?"

With the rear view mirror I notice the how the black open jeep was behind us.

How much I wanted for it to disappear!

Saying no more, Esme narrows her eyes at us, bites her lower lip. The deep breath don't help her flaring nose, or her twitching hands. Patiently she stares out the window paying none of our words any heed.

What did I miss?

The two at the back, grumble complaint under their breaths how Esme was being ridiculous.

School Parking lot

Twenty minutes of silence later, I finally reach school. Parking my care at my usual spot, I discreetly scout the area for any potential threats.