chapter 1

Carly's P.O.V

I jolt up, a brief wave of panic and fear spreading through me, only to be held back by four black straps that are across my body. I blink twice, trying to remember what happened before I just woke up, but I merely feel dazed and confused. I'm able to lift my head up just enough to scan my surroundings to see where I am. I squint slightly as bright white light meets my eyes. I look down at myself, suddenly realizing the gray and white cords coming out from under the clothes I'm wearing. I follow with my eyes where the cords lead to and they're all connected to the monitors that are to the right of me, steadily beeping in the background. I take a breath in and cough at the sterilized smell that consumes the room.

My eyes widen as it's clear where I am; a hospital. I don't know how I got here though or why I'm here at all; I'm not hurt or in need of medical attention the last time I checked.

On a side note what kind of hospital straps someone to a bed? I try to get my arm out from under the straps, but every time I move my hand the straps seem to get tighter around me, digging into my skin a little. Why am I here? I think to myself. Not knowing why I'm here is making me more anxious by the second. I know what I have to do. I do my best to slow down my breathing as it's getting shorter and shorter as seconds pass by.

I take a shaky breath in through my nose and out my mouth. I make myself do it again, but deep breathing does not stop the anxious thoughts from running through my mind. With the thoughts that are going through my head right now, it makes me start to hyperventilate again. I struggle to breathe, feeling like I can't get enough air into my lungs and continue to hyperventilate. I feel my heart beating quickly in my chest as fear and anxiety overtake my mind and body.

I look around the room once more. What's happening to me? I can't breathe. Oh my god, I can't breathe! I gasp for air as the monitor that was beeping steadily in the background is now beeping louder and faster. I feel sick to my stomach, like I'm going to throw up. I hear the door open and someone comes in which only makes me more anxious.

This nurse walks to the bed and stops at the place where my right hand is lying on top of the comforter. I see that an IV is in my hand, something I didn't notice before. The nurse pulls out a clear, tube shaped syringe that has little black lines and numbers marked on the side. Before I can even think about doing anything I feel whatever the nurse just gave me go through the IV and enter my body.

My heartbeat begins to slow down as the loud beeping of the monitor stops, returning to the steady beeping it originally made. I can hear it getting fainter and fainter until everything goes black.

_____________________________
Hey guys, this is my first book, so feel free to comment and vote! I'd love to hear anyone's feedback

Thanks