2.3 || The Prodigal Young Master

"Second Brother~!" A youthful adorable sounding voice was soon heard, alerting the four men on the arrival of the women.

Ruan shi immediately curtseyed before her husband and bowed towards the Fifth Prince, before docilely standing to the side.

Yang Xiqin immediately ran lightly towards Yang Wenbao and tugged onto his sleeve in a playful manner, "Second Brother was truly awesome. Xiqin could not even follow your movements when you did that trick that made Eldest Brother fall!"

Yang Wenbao chuckled and patted Yang Xiqin's head. The trick that she was chattering on about was just a combination of grappling and judo. Yang Liyuan was a military man through and through, however he was much too engrossed in perfecting his moves while wielding weapons. Ever since he came back, Yang Wenbao had been trying to ingrain the necessity to temper one's body and limbs in a direct fight, before using weapons as an extension, into Yang Liyuan. Fortunately, the young general was open to suggestion and was actually impressed with Yang Wenbao's input.

"Wenbao... ?" A voice, as soft and trembling as a quivering piece of leaf, was heard, "You... are Yang... Wenbao?"

Yang Wenbao looked at the teen maiden whom he had never seen before.

Correction: he had seen her before. From the memories that he now possessed, there was some recollection of a little girl who had always treated him with contempt. This young maiden still carried some traces of her childhood's features. Although Yang Xiqin was younger than this maiden, the latter had not really developed her womanly features yet. Although she possessed a charming appearance and would undoubtedly grow into a beauty, she was definitely inferior to Zhou Yunzhu.

Yang Wenbao remembered her and was always amiable to children. He smiled and nodded lightly. Unbeknownst to him, this carefree smile caused Zhou Yunzhu and even Yang Xiqin's cheeks to be a shade more crimson.

Yang Xiqin murmured, "My Second Brother is so handsome... Oh... what to do~! Only the best of swans must become my sister-in-law."

She was suddenly reminded of Zhou Wenling who had been gaping her mouth like a goldfish. Looking at Zhou Wenling's face that was as colorful as a flower field, Yang Xiqin clung onto Yang Wenbao's arms tighter, "Second Brother. Your fiancee is visiting you, aren't you happy? Ah, that's not right either. Ninth Princess' visit is to break the engagement between the two of you. After all, a toad must not vie for a swan!"

Zhou Wenling's face grew red, but now because she felt like her cheeks had been slapped. No wonder the Old Madame, the Fifth Princess, and Yang Xiqin kept repeating that phrase! It turned out that the rotund Yang Wenbao was definitely no toad! 

Looking at these people now, was she not the one who looked the most inferior? To these beautiful swans, she probably looked like the toad instead. Zhou Wenling really wanted to return to those months ago, before she sent that letter to Yang Wenbao.

Zhou Yunzhen coughed lightly and Zhou Yunzhu hid her smile behind her sleeve once again. However as Yang Xiqin hung onto Yang Wenbao's arm tighter, the latter suddenly let out a soft hiss.

Yang Xiqin paled and immediately let go of his arm. The part where she had been clinging onto, showed some dark patches seeping through the fabric of Yang Wenbao's attire. Yang Xiqin looked at her own dress' sleeves and saw red marks staining them. She stammered,

"Second Brother... you're hurt!"

"Wenbao, are you hurt?" Marquis Yang immediately asked his youngest son.

"Wenbao, did I hurt you?" Yang Liyuan also pressed on closer, wanting to check on his younger brother's wound.

"You must have hurt him, you brute!" Marquis Yang smacked Yang Liyuan's head and looked at Ruan shi with a frown, "What are you standing around there for? Go grab a few dressings and medicine!"