2.24 || The Prodigal Young Master

Upon realizing that their liege had disappeared, the imperial guards were like chickens without heads. Yet, no matter how high and low they searched, not even the shadow of the Emperor could be seen. What was more curious was the Consort seemed to have also vanished along with him.

Foul play by a certain Prince had been considered, but Zhou Yequan had always been doted on by the Emperor and the Consort. Everyone knew of this fact. After recounting his testimony again and again, no one could possibly suspect Zhou Yequan in the slightest bit anymore. Not to mention, the Second Young Master of the Yang clan looked as though he was ready to send some heads rolling every time the imperial guards used the slightest tone of accusation towards the Seventh Prince.

Tang Zhiming and Yang Liyuan fixedly stood behind Zhou Yequan as well, expressing their belief in the Prince's innocence. With the support of the Imperial Strategist and the highest ranking officer after Prince Zhou Chanqing, what could the imperial guards do apart from blaming themselves for agreeing to the Emperor's request? Although it was the Emperor's request to leave him be, the eastern land was merely separated from a horde of monsters by a wall. Furthermore, this wall was currently full of holes in various places.

Perhaps, the Emperor and the Consort had been seized by some rogue monsters who had somehow went through the wall under the patrolling guards' noses?

No one dared to voice this horrible suspicion of the Emperor's fate. More than a week's long search continued. Even Prince Zhou Chanqing, who was finally be able to walk, joined the search in his limited capability. However, his intention to look for the Emperor was at times thwarted by Tang Zhiming.

Amidst the resigned expressions of various soldiers, fully prepared for another day of fruitless search, it was also now a common occurrence for them to hear the Imperial Strategist hollering at Prince Zhou Chanqing,

"You may not love your life, but I'm hard pressed to let you die! I lost two hundred grams of my weight looking after you when you were fighting for your puny life. You haven't even repaid me yet for it, and now you're already jumping around, thinking you're an immortal? If you don't stay put, I'll tie you to your bed instead!"

The soldiers could only pretend they were as deaf as a post and as blind as the Seventh Prince. They absolutely did not see or hear the Imperial Strategist berating the third most powerful man in Great Wei, as though Tang Zhiming was rightfully the latter's nagging wife. Although Zhou Chanqing's rank was essentially still ranked under the Crown Prince, in this eastern land, he was easily the person with the most authority, especially now that the Emperor was missing.

"Zhiming, he's my brother... ," Prince Zhou Chanqing tried to protest, but quickly swallowed his tongue upon noticing the wrath contained in the Imperial Strategist's eyes. Zhou Chanqing was sure that if he were to say more, Tang Zhiming would probably beat him until he was really bed-ridden and unable to move. Finally, he could only abide by Tang Zhiming's rules: he was allowed to join the search to some extent, only for a brief while, and under Tang Zhiming's supervision.

Tang Zhiming allowed Zhou Chanqing to move around not because he was overly concerned about the Emperor's disappearance, but because he knew some light physical activity would do good for Zhou Chanqing's recuperation.

A few more weeks passed just like that, until finally Zhou Chanqing recovered fully. The Emperor was still not found. However, the soldiers could not help but feel somewhat elated because the monsters had not attacked as of late.

Zhou Chanqing and Zhou Yequan now stayed in one tent, the latter having immediately abandoned the one built under the Emperor's order as soon as the Emperor was announced to be missing.