7. The beginning... Of the end.

I'm happy to announce, my days of not showing up at school were short.

By short I mean, by the next day I was already up and about, ready to take the school day head-on. Plus, I had learned my lesson on abusing my pain medication by taking two at a time instead of a handful. Prescription or not.

Suzy was coming to pick me up, so I had that covered and considering I had no idea when my car would be fixed after out of nowhere it decided to die on me in the middle of the high way a few days back, Suzy was the best next thing I was thankful for.

"Mom," I called as I walked barefoot down our corridor to the kitchen where I was sure she was busy making coffee. A few of our black framed picture frames on either side of the walls decorated the pale white paint, creating a nice, welcoming contrast to the eye. "Have you seen the boots I wore the day before yesterday? Everything was a bit fuzzy then."

"Yeah, they are right there by the door."

Mom who just as I thought, sat on the table with her laptop in front of her and a cup of coffee not far from her reach, looked up as I walked in and smiled at me long enough for me to return it before she went back to typing in her laptop.

Deciding I would wear my shoes after coffee, I poured myself a cup and sat opposite her and quietly enjoyed the warmth it brought on my somewhat empty stomach.

"Sorry baby, I have this shipment container I have to clear and forward to the owner, and I'm already running out of time."

"That's okay, I'm just waiting for Suzy. She should be here soon."

As we lapsed back into the only sound between us being the keyboard, I realized something about her. "Are you working from home today?"

"What?" She looked a bit confused with my question.

"You are usually ready by this..."

"Hurry up, cripple. We are almost late," Suzy's voice rung through our house, stopping me from finishing what I wanted to say and startling the peaceful quiet talk both mom and I had going on as she walked through our front door. A big smile on her face and a tight, blue, skinny jeans on her tight skinny thighs.

I rolled my eyes as mom sniggered.

"Oh, Miss Sophia," she said to my mom. "You look as lovely as ever."

She didn't. Look lovely as ever I mean. In fact, this morning mom looked rather tired might I add, like she hadn't slept all night.

Don't get it twisted, I'm not saying my mom was ugly. Quite the opposite actually. She was a beauty with long, wavy, blonde hair. Alabaster skin, not like mine naturally sun-kissed. Beautiful pink, pouty lips, something I'm happy to say I inherited, by the way.

All in all, my mom was a stunning woman. The contrast between her dark eyes, something else I inherited from, and her blonde hair guaranteed a pure, not even trying beauty.

But that morning, she wasn't even ready yet for work, and her hair on top of her head in a supper bad-made, messy-bun perched right in the middle of her head was not at all a sight for beauty. Top that up with the pink robe she wore, yeah, you can see how beautiful was not what comes to mind.

I didn't say any of that out loud.

"How are you, Suzanne? I haven't seen you in a while."

"Oh, I'm okay." Suzy flung her arms against her shoulders in a tight hug. "School is really keeping me busy."

"Well I hope it does."

"Alright then." I got down from my chair and put on my jean jacket around my shoulders. "We should go."