20

And I'll stay, with you, I see new colors
My eyes are open wider today until forever
I'll stay with you
____________________

IT WAS Ben, followed by Doug, Lonnie, and even Dude came in.

The Prince whispered something to the guards, then closed the door behind him. Dude immediately found his way to Carlos, pressing its brown head onto his leg like he was trying to comfort him. Carlos looked down, smiled a little through his tears, and picked the mutt up, sitting himself down on the floor.

Lonnie suddenly went and wrapped her arms around Jay, who became stunned by the gesture. It took him a second to react, hugging her back.

Ben looked tense, but calm. He stared at us.

"I believe you." He said.

"You do?" Mal answered.

"I do." Ben said, taking her by the shoulders, "And I promise you, I'll find a way to bring you back."

Mal allowed herself to lean on him, sighing in both comfort and doubt. "How are you so sure?"

Ben gulped, his hand was stroking her hair unconsciously. "I'll be crowned King in two weeks. There has to be a way... and I know Fairy Godmother believes you too, so maybe she can help..."

"Even after I went after her wand?" Mal said.

"It wasn't you." The prince answered, "I know it wasn't. Fairy Godmother isn't a disbeliever in dark magic, and she knows what Maleficent can be capable off."

He looked down at her. "Mal... Can I talk to you privately for a second? It's... private."

Mal nodded, letting him lead her to a corner of the room.

Doug sat down next to Evie and started whispering to her.

Suddenly, I felt like everyone was being paired off instead of me. This was the ultimate third wheeling. Not that I want to be part of it-

"Brae." Carlos called, motioning for me to come over.

I took a seat next to him, but didn't dare go any nearer. Dude was whining softly, licking Carlos' face. The white haired boy said nothing, but the terror in his eyes were clear.

"We're gonna be alright, Carlos." I told him.

He shook his head, not believing it.

"I won't let her hurt you..."

"I appreciate it, Brae. But do you really think you can go against her?"

The answer came to me the second his question left his lips.

"Yes."

Carlos finally caught my eye. He trembled.

"I am willing to kill Cruella, if it means you'll be safe." I added, "And for your information, I have never killed in my life, so this is saying a lot. Unlike Jay, who I think would be happy to end her."

He laughed. The sound kept my chest warm.

"Thank you." He smiled ever so slightly, "You really are a wonder, Brae. But we both know what's going to happen. I'm sorry..."

"No sorries." I reminded him.

He sighed and turned away. I felt the urge to hug him, but I didn't.

Someone tapped on my shoulder. It was Lonnie. "I want to give you this."

The dagger she handed me was pocket size. It came to my realization that I've never told her about my knife.

"It's not the best parting gift." She giggled a little, before turning more serious, "But I think this can really help you on the Isle..."

"Thank you." I told her, standing up and giving her a squeeze, "It definitely will."

"Can we see them off, Ben?" Doug asked.

Ben sighed. Mal was still buried in his chest. "I wish I could say yes, but I don't think that's the best idea. I don't want people to target you if they suspect you're friends-"

"But we are friends." Lonnie urged.

Doug bit his lip. "I get it: safety measures." He was angry. "This isn't right. You guys don't deserve this. What do you think will happen when you're back on the Isle?"

The question hit a soft spot.

"It's not gonna be fun, that's for sure." Jay mumbled.

"I'm not worried about me." I said frankly, "But the others- their parents-"

I saw Carlos shrink back, holding Dude even more tightly.

"Carlos?" Ben questioned.

It took him a second to answer. "My mom's either gonna beat me up, or kill me." The boy said, his voice quivering. The certainty in his words shook our bones.

"Are you serious?" Lonnie said.

Carlos' breathing was unsteady. "They're- she-"

"They have no right to be your parents." Lonnie intercepted, "They shouldn't even be neglecting you, let along hurt you."

I stared at Carlos with an intensity I could feel it creeping up my spine.

I will stay with him.

And I will never leave him.

I don't care if it would be the end of me.

______________________

This chapter's a little shorter cause it would be awkward to not end it here. Hope you don't mind!