21

You asked me, "Do you wanna die alone
Or watch it all burn down together?"
I said I'd rather try to hold on to you forever
_____________________

WE WERE thrown roughly onto the hard, dirty ground as soon as the restraints were taken off.

The drive was a terrible one- every turn of the wheel was another foot away from Auradon. The five of us were silent the whole ride, our breaths ragged with fright.

Now here we are- back where we started.

I felt the dirt smudge against my cheek, and slowly pushed myself off the ground. The shiny black car pulled away, closing the bridge between the two worlds. The air felt polluted, the colors felt more dreary. I looked around me, catching sight of Jay helping Carlos, who was stiff with uneasiness, up. It was strange, seeing all these surroundings but not fully recognizing it. We have changed too much to feel like we belonged.

Ben had told us that our parents were not informed of our arrival, but I wasn't surprised when a group of brawny men, who appeared to be waiting for us, approached. Maleficent was a very resourceful woman.

One of them gave me a shove, sending me back to the ground. My elbow scrapped against the rocky surface.

"Hope you enjoyed your stay in wonderland." He sneered, "Let's get you more comfortable, shall we?"

Before he could get any nearer, however, Jay came between us, putting on his mean face. I gave him a look of gratitude.

"Back off." He said threateningly, cracking his knuckles to prove his point.

The henchmen laughed in response, glancing at each other.

The same words whirled around my mind: whatever happens, we stick together.

"Look, kid." One of the men tutted, "You either come with us, or we go tell Maleficent you refused to cooperate. And I can promise you, she can break your neck in a second."

"And that's exactly why we don't want to come." Evie butt in, her eyes darting around nervously.

The guy nudged his head to the left, and the others started to surround us. We put up a fight, but it didn't take long for the grown men to overpower a bunch of teenagers.

They dragged us straight to Maleficent's 'territory', ignoring our screams and kicks. I decided not to use my hidden weapons until it was completely necessary...

"Well, well, well..." The mistress of evil cackled when we came in.

The five of us shrunk back against the wall. It was the exact same room as the one I first entered before we left for Auradon. I remembered the balcony...

The four parents stood at different parts of the room. None of them looked happy to see us.

The wicked smile on her face made me sick.

"Mal!" She exclaimed, her tone holding false cheerfulness, "Come here, my sweetheart."

It didn't take half a brain cell to realize it was a trap, but Mal had no choice. She edged forward towards her mom, bracing herself for what comes next.

Maleficent slapped her, and she gasped, covering her cheek.

"How dare you fight me, child." Maleficent shouted, before turning towards us, "How dare any of you fight me!"

I kept my composure for Evie and Carlos' sake, and I could tell Jay was doing the same. But inside, I felt fear take over.

"I was so close to getting the wand." Maleficent screamed, "Don't pretend you were innocent! I know what you were doing, plotting behind our backs. The spell book is my spy. We had one shot, and you blew it. Therefore you will all pay with the rest of your life." She gave Mal another slap, the blow sending her stumbling backwards.