32

But it's harder to see you're not mine
With my bloodshot eyes
_____________________

"LOOK WHO'S back?" Mal said playfully when I walked in, "You completely missed the rest of our barbecue." Her sarcasm gives me life.

"And so did Carlos." Evie said from behind her sewing machine, all smiles, "Both of you didn't show up. What a coincidence."

I couldn't hold back my grin as I closed the door behind me.

I pressed my fingers together, unable to contain myself. "Guess who has a date for cotillion!" I announced, my voice squeaky as I threw my hands up in celebration.

Evie shrieked, jumping up and enveloping me in a giant hug. "Are you serious?"

I laughed. "One hundred percent."

"Told you." Mal called smugly from her bed, twirling a pencil between her finger tips.

Evie smirked. "So... You two are a thing now?"

I felt my face flush. "I guess? I mean, we didn't really confirm it or anything..." I blabbered.

"It's still cute." Evie emphasized, before playfully pulling Mal's beanie off my head, "Did you steal this from Mal's closet?"

"Nah I gave it to her." Mal said. She paused before continuing, "You know what's funny? I think Jay is the only single one out of all of us now."

The three of us started laughing at the irony.

"He's got Lonnie." I pointed out, taking off my jacket and hanging it on the bedpost.

"But they're technically not even together." Evie giggled, "And I doubt Lonnie would go for anyone."

Suddenly there was a very loud and rude banging on the door. Before any of us could even react, the door was thrown open, revealing a very angry Audrey.

"You!" She shouted, pointing an accusing finger at Mal, who looked very much confused.

Another person stumbled in after her, taking half a second to adjust his crown.

"Audrey wait-" Ben started.

"Oh shush." Audrey glared at him, before turning back to her victim, "What spell did you put on Ben, Mal?"

The pinkish color on her dress did not match the fury in her eyes.

"I didn't put any spell on anyone!" Mal exclaimed, sitting up, face in a scowl.

"Don't lie to me!" Audrey stepped even closer, and I blocked her way in case she tried any funny business.

"Woah, woah, woah." I said, squaring my shoulders, "Ever heard of personal space?"

"As if you have." Audrey replied dryly, before continuing. "You cursed him, didn't you?" She shouted, "You made him fall in love with you."

I saw Mal's hands curl into fists. "I told you I didn't." She answered, putting emphasis in every word.

Everyone was getting more and more frustrated.

"Audrey, no one's using magic on anyone, okay?" Ben said, taking her by the shoulders.

Audrey spun around sharply, coming face to face with the soon-to-be King. I was shocked to see the sudden tears in her eyes. She looked... upset. There was a moment when she stared him down, betrayal and heartbreak written on her face.

Her voice became utterly broken. "Then tell me why you're leaving me."

Ben was rendered speechless.

Audrey placed a hand on his chest, tracing it, then pulling away. "Maybe she didn't curse you." She murmured, gulping as she stared at him, "But you can't expect-" She sniffed before continuing, "You can't expect me to be happy about you completely disregarding my feelings."

Audrey started to sob, then hurried out of the room, burying her face in her hands. The other girls in our hallway had their doors opened as they looked around curiously, wondering who was making such a loud fuss after curfew.

"Sorry." Ben called to them awkwardly as they started to whisper, "You can go back in your rooms now." He closed our door, then exhaled heavily.

"You alright?" I asked, though the answer was obvious.

"I didn't think she'd go that far." Ben admitted, troubled as he tugged at his suit.

"She was overreacting." Mal shrugged, "I'm glad that was over with."

I frowned. "In her defense though... she just got dumped." I said, "I know she's not exactly the nicest person on earth, but she's still human."

Evie spoke, turning to Ben. "Brae's right. I think it's best if you smooth things over before she gets too upset."

Ben bit his lip. "She's already too upset."

"Still." Evie and I said at the same time.

Ben looked at Mal, who just shrugged again. She really couldn't care less.

"Fine." Ben said, before breaking into a massive yawn, "Tomorrow. Gosh, I better get some rest."

His yawn caught on to the rest of us and we all chuckled.

"Goodnight." Ben said as he closed the door shut behind him.

I went to my closet for my pjs, beginning to settle into the night. Evie turned off her sewing machine- it made too much of a racket to be used after curfew anyways.

Just as my mind wondered off to today's events, my eyes caught sight of my knife which lay next to my bed. For a second, I felt tension take over my body, but I silenced it and proceeded to enter the bathroom.

Evie always said a bath is the most relaxing thing in the world. I hope she's right.

__________________
I was gonna publish this one tomorrow but shoneshoes hyped me up too much so here you go