43

Damn, you're so beautiful
And don't you know it?
_____________________

"ARE YOU serious?" Evie exclaimed, hand over her mouth.

We were in another guest room, where Mal had woken up the same time as me. Carlos had convinced me to tell them about Maleficent's news.

Mal had an arm around my shoulder. "That's why she went and attacked you." She frowned, "But I don't understand- even if what she was saying is true, why would she want you to know?"

I shrugged. "I'm planning on asking the Fairy Godmother about it later."

"I can't believe it." Jay was shaking his head.

"Well, the Fairy Godmother will be here soon." Ben said, leaning against the bedpost, "And I expect she'll be as shocked as you are."

"Do you think Maleficent was telling the truth?" I asked, looking at my friends.

Jay bit his lip. "Maybe. You didn't know much about your mom either."

I nodded, confirming his statement.

"Whatever it is, you have us." Carlos spoke up.

I smiled. The moment we shared earlier wasn't forgotten. "I know. Thank you."

"We better get a day off for all this." Mal laughed lightly, "School is the last thing I want to deal with right now."

"I know right?" Evie grinned.

"My father already allowed it." Ben told us.

Carlos fell back on the couch dramatically. "Thank the lord."

Suddenly, there was a knock and the door opened a little. Fairy Godmother peaked around the corner.

"Can I come in?"

"Of course." Evie replied, opening the door for her.

"I'm glad to see you both awake." The Fairy Godmother beamed at Mal and I, "No side effects, I hope?"

We shook our heads.

"Well I have a few things to tell you." Fairy Godmother announced, "Dizzy is scheduled to arrive the day after Cotillion, just as promised. Her grandmother, lady Tremaine, has allowed it... it took a tiny bit of persuading."

Evie broke into a huge smile. Those two must be very close.

"The second piece of news is that Audrey is getting punished. I'm not sure how, though. That's up to the King. And remember: no one knows she ran away."

"Building on that, the King is very thankful for you VKs." Her expression softened, "You were all incredibly brave and... good to do all that for us- and Auradon. I can even see the change of heart in Beast."

We all exchanged prideful glances, smiling at each other.

"Fairy Godmother." I sat up, "I- I need to talk to you about something."

She turned to me, an unreadable expression on her face. "Yes, child?"

"When we were leaving the Isle... when I heard Maleficent's voice in my head, she told me that she knew where my mom was. I don't understand-"

To our surprise, she did not seem shocked at the news, instead she sighed heavily.

"That is something I also wanted to talk to you about when I got here." She confessed.

Carlos and I peeked at each other, puzzled and curious.

"Brae, if your mother had died on the Isle, as you have said, there would be a record." The Fairy Godmother explained, clasping her hand over mine, "We keep a tight record on the Isle. And Brae-" She looked at me, showing pity. "There was no record of your mother's death. Which means she's most likely alive."