Chapter 16: Exploring the underground and truth of war

In the depths of the underground city Ruby and Michael made there way down the broken down buildings carefully as to not fall through the floor of the building. The buildings underneath the ground were really broken down and decayed. Littered on the floors were old cans of food old human bones and broken down rocks inside. The young Huntress in training and Marine made their way down the stair case always making sure to check each floor to make sure nobody would sneak up behind them. 

"Michael what do think the white fang are doing here?" Ruby asked as she check behind them.

"Well, this is a good place to set up a base as it cannot be seen from the air." Michael answered. "The only way to find a base like this is to find one of the entrance's to make your way into a place like this." Michael then pushed open a door to the end of the stair case as they reached the first floor and opened it to reveal what used to be the buildings lobby, now a trashed mess. The 2 walked through 

"You ever have any experience fighting in places like this?" Ruby asked as Michael kept a straight face. 

"No, not really." Michael answered. "But Ryan told me that he knew some guys who had to go into man sized underground tunnels to take enemy positions, those guys had a really hard time fighting."

Ruby was surprised at this as she didn't know any military around the world going into such small sized tunnels to take out enemies to gain an advantage. That type of tactic didn't even cross her mind when she though up of ways to ambush grimm.

"Did Ryan ever had to do that?" Ruby asked curious. But before Michael could answer he stopped about 10 inches from the main door and gestured Ruby to stay quiet and to stay low. "What is it?" Then footsteps could be heard walking past the front door and Ruby shut her mouth as she and Michael saw the hooded tops of white fang soldiers walking by the window.

"Can't believe we got to be picked on Patrol man." One of them said. 

"Its the bosses orders man, we got no say in the matter." The other replied. "Can't have any surprises." 

"Still can't see why he picked us out of everyone else." The first one muttered. "He could have pick anyone else."

As the 2 bickered about the patrol they were on Michael and Ruby watched them as they past where they were hiding and  Ruby began to feel a little worried. She trembled a little bit knowing that there was probably more white fang soldiers around the underground city. She was worried that she and Michael would get caught and tortured for information and the thought of that made Ruby shiver a little bit. 

"Ruby are you okay?" Michael asked concerned. Ruby jumped a little bit at the question as she wasn't paying attention. "You look like your gonna fall apart."

"W-well....I am not sure if I can do this kind of thing." Ruby said. "Besides I don't know if I can kill another living being." Michael understood what she was talking about as he was in the same position as her before. During the battle of Belleau wood Michael was just getting his baptism of fire as he charged at the German lines alongside other US Marines with explosions and gun fire going off around him. 

At this time he didn't want to have to shoot anyone as he just felt like it wouldn't be right however that quickly went away when Michael saw a German soldier Charging at him with a bayonet with a killing intent. With quick thinking Michael smacked the bayonet to avoid getting stabbed and kicked the soldier to the ground then shot him in the chest with his Springfield. Then Michael looked around him as the feelings of the battlefield set in around him as he saw both sides getting killed left and right. He then snapped back to reality to try and reason to Ruby.

"Ruby I was once like you." Michael stated. "I couldn't kill anyone before I went into combat, but when I did I knew I had to do it to save not only myself but my fellow comrades around me."