( counting sheep ) k. akira

kunimi akira

    𝕿he waning moon howls, and when the bedroom door creaks open - your sight is instantly filled with the twilight spilling white camellias all over the window sill. you let out a breath as the chill of the room embraced you, your cold toes stepping on the petals of moonlight painting all over the floor.

silently, wordlessly, your dark eyes then travel from the floor towards the boy thats nestles warmly within the comfort of his bed. you could barely make out his dark strands of hair peaking from the thick blankets. just seeing how at ease and relaxed his posture was makes you forget all about the nightmares that dare plague your mind like a drug.

you didn't know why your feet guided you to his room, maybe it was a habit from when you were little kids. when he would always listen to all your bad dreams with an understanding look.

he always had a good way of making sure you were fine and well after waking up trembling with a tear-stained face.

you entered the room and close the door behind you with a soft click.
the noise ripples through the room making the brunette groan ever so softly. he wrestles with the duvets and pillows, sticking his toes out from the covers. a smile appears on your lips, as you made your way towards him.

"(y/n)." his voice makes you freeze.

though it came out hoarse and raspy from sleep - it sounded rich and warm. your shoulders relax.

"sorry, did I wake you?" a whisper escapes your lips, a breathy air of words that tumble like feathers into the white dipped light of moonlight. kunimi opens an eye, his familiar muddy orbs glued at your figure. you fidget under his warm and lazy gaze.

"why are you in my room, didn't my mom give you a spare room where you could sleep?"

under the moonlight, kunimi could see your flushed cheeks and the sadness swimming within your eyes. he glances silently as you weave your fingers together, pursing your lips. "i couldn't sleep."

"a nightmare again?"

    you pause for a long moment, your hand clutching fabrics upon fabrics of your thin shirt. you counted numbers in your head on how long you were stuck there inside your mind. a nightmare, like kunimi had said.

   you peer back at him when you hear a breathy sigh escape his lips. kunimi brushes his fingers through his untamed cowlicks before patting the spot next to him.

    "come here."

     one. then two seconds passed by before your mind reels upon his words, obliging to his command with a small ounce of reluctance. naked toes pat along his floor before you had settled yourself on the edge of his soft soft bed, your hands press along his mattress–it feels like you are touching clouds and marshmallows beneath your fingertips. kunimi watches the glitter of wonder littering your eyelashes, the ends of his lips tip upward.

    "comfy?"

    you nod your head ones, eyes settling with his muddy ones. you had always liked kunimi's eyes, they were always like pretty dark gems, like a small rainstorm was trapped within those orbs brewing up a storm.

   they were mellow–sometimes intense and always so soft soft soft.

   his eyes always calms you.

      he turns–so now he's facing you, he lifts a hand and runs it along your arm. warmth dances across his palms and into the soft surface of your naked skin. you quickly lean into his palm when it touches your cheek. you close your eyes and inhale a breath, sipping smokes of milky clouds that rapture your lungs in an instant.

    "want to talk about it?"

    kunimi's voice is low and sweet–too sweet and too lulling it almost drifts you back into the world where you are swimming through the space, through the rippling—galaxy coloured waters, a total free flight of freedom. almost.

     "i—" he rubs his thumb on your cold cheek, writing reassuring stars into your skin. you close your eyes and the colours beneath your eyelids grew into swirling monsters of your nightmares.
you remembered them ripping your feathers one by one—clawing at your back to rip your wings off and breaking your halo into a million pieces for you to choke on the smoke the fire the pain that makes your eyes tear up with screams–

   –you remember the person who did that to you in your so called nightmare.

you know him well.

     "you killed me." was your only response, a single tear slips passed your close eyelids as it trails a silver path down your cheek and into his thumb, his skin growing cold for a moment. you knew it wasn't real, but it felt real. the pain. your scream. him killing you.

    you couldn't help it.

      the boy beside you exhales a shaky breath, retreating his hand that lingered on your cheek.

    he instead grabs your wrist and pulls you into his bed. you stumble a little, eyes flash with surprise. kunimi tugs you under the covers as the bed creaks and a ball of messy words leave your mouth,

    "hey kunimi, w-what are you–"

     "you're too loud,"

    kunimi makes sure you were completely sheltered from the drifting cold, from the naked stares of the moonlight. he pulls you to him and cradles your face into his chest.

    you thaw under his warmth. under his warm warm body.

     you thaw, thaw,thaw–

    his heart, like two beats drummed softly into your ear, you laid there quietly hearing his heart, its like a lullaby. kunimi wraps his arms around your frame–building castle walls around to protect you, he quelled the monsters and black butterflies scratching your ribcage and played and tugged the strands of your hair in reassurance. in boredom.

     "(y/n)." a tranquil voice.

     "hm?"

    "i would never forgive myself if anything really happens to you, you know."

     "i know."

     he hums ones. "good, now sleep. its still pretty late." as the lazy-eyed male brushes his fingers through your hair ones more, you close your eyes,

   and counted the many white sheeps that touched your cheeks and drifted into slumber with a peaceful mind.

end.