Chapter 23

"After that, there was a battle between the two. Jack ran away once everyone had been rescued and Jerry swore one day, he'd be back to kill Jack, his pack and the rest of the Midnight Pack."

I stared at Darrius, trying to process everything he just said.

Alpha Darren was a fake.

Luna Pearl was most probably alive.

He betrayed his brother, Darrius, who had to live alone, without his mate for fourteen years.

He lied to the pack, everyone.

But worst of all, he lied to his family, Luna Pearl and Dylan.

Speaking of Dylan, I wondered how he was taking the news. I turned to him to find him looking at the ground. He then stood up and walked out of the room in silence.

After a few moments, we all heard the front door slam shut so it was assumed that he left the house.

Darrius, who kept facing the ground, let out a sigh. When he finally lifted his head up, his eyes were brimming with tears.

"I'm sorry."

"It's all my fault that The Midnight Pack was destroyed,"

"It's not your fault Darrius," Lillian reassured, "come on, enough of the past. You must be starving."

"What should we do about Dylan?" Sarah asked as Lillian left the living room with Darrius.

"I think he wants to be alone for a while dear," Harold said, "but I'm sure he'll be back soon, " he added once he saw Sarah's worried face.

"Come on, let's go eat. I'm sure Dylan will be back soon."

—————

"Do you think he's okay?" Sarah asked for the fifth time this hour as we cleaned the dishes from dinner.

It has been hours since Dylan has left and he still hasn't come home yet, and to say Sarah was worried was the least of it.

"Physically, I know Dylan is alright. Mentally, I think he needs someone with him right now."

"Do you know where he is?"

"I'm not sure, but I think. I can show you,"

Sarah smiled sadly before she put down her plate and looked me in the eye.

"You should probably go comfort him, Emma,"

"But you're his mate?"

"True, but I only met him a couple of weeks ago, I don't know him as you do. You've spent your whole life around Dylan, you'd know what to say to him," She explained.

"Besides," She spoke as she placed her hand on my shoulder, "you're probably hurting too."

It was true, I couldn't say I wasn't affected by all of this. I mean, I practically grew up with Dylan and his family. And to find out the truth about his family, the truth about Alpha—no, the truth about Darren, it just hurts.

But I knew the pain I was feeling, was nothing compared to Dylan's.

"I'll take care of the dishes, and I'll explain everything to the others."

I smiled at Sarah, before nodding my head and running out of the kitchen. I ran outside, passing the living room where everyone was seated. As soon as I stepped a foot away from the house, I shifted before taking off towards our treehouse.

Once I had arrived, I noticed the ladder was already down. I shifted back and grabbed some clothes from the bushes before climbing up the ladder.

Once I had reached the top, I found Dylan sitting by the edge of the tree, looking at the stars. I knew he heard me coming up here, but he still didn't say a word.