Chapter 7

I couldn't believe she was telling me all this but I guess I was glad I knew what had happened. I saw a few tears run down her cheek so before I spoke I reached across the table and wiped them from her face, sweeping the hair from her eyes. "Rowan, that is a terrible thing to do to anybody and believe me when I say, you didn't deserve that. I'm so glad you told me all of that and I'm sure it's hard for you to share information with a stranger but you're strong and you deserve so much better." I reassured Rowan. "Thank you Elijah I'm just so glad you were there. I felt broken and I'm so lucky to have been around you." Rowan said. I told her that I'd do anything to keep her safe and keep her away from danger and that Riven asshole. But she said something I wouldn't ever forget.

"Yeah he watches me everywhere I go and I see him all the time but I pay no attention to him and he pays no attention to me. In fact I saw him in his car when I was driving here." Rowan told me this with no facial expression almost as if I was listening to a robot. I cocked my head to the side and grabbed a napkin and a pen. She asked what I was doing but I just said nothing. I wrote on the napkin and continued talking as if we were just having a normal conversation. On the paper I wrote "Are you being forced to say this?" And I slipped it to her while continuing the conversation.

She just giggled and tossed the note at me. "No Elijah I'm not being held at gunpoint." Rowan said with a slight sarcastic voice. "I'm just accepting that Riven will not leave my life even after I've left his and I can't stop that." She explained. This sounds a little odd and at this point I'm confused. After a few seconds of awkward silence I finally say "Well Rowan, I need you to know that you're always safe with me and as long as I am around you will never be hurt. I couldn't and wouldn't ever let anything hurt you." She kept looking behind me as if something or somebody was there but I didn't look behind me. Instead I told her that I'd give her my phone number so that she can always contact me if there's ever an emergency.

She took the napkin with my number and said "Thank you Elijah I really appreciate you and I wish I could repay you but I'm afraid that what you did can never be paid in full." I got up from my seat and swept her up from hers and we hugged each other for a long while. "You don't have to repay anything darling. You are a shining star and stars don't need to pay back anything." I whispered into her ear. "Thank you Elijah. You really are an amazing person." She whispered back into mine.