Chapter 11

"We've arrived." Someone pocked me in my neck to wake me up. I opened my eyes and was met with the eyes from Newton. I sat up straight and realisation hit me.

I turned around quickly: "I slept through the half of the ride?"

Newton smiled at me confirming my question. I got out of the car and looked around.

I've literally slept on the way here. That's insane! I wasn't scared, I wasn't panicking anymore. I wasn't afraid to actually get into the waterpark right now. If I can handle the car ride, I can handle a waterpark.

I got to the trunk of the car and got my bag. I followed my dad and Leslie towards the entrance, and later continued walking after my dad got the tickets.

"Let's go to the fake beach and pick a chair there." Leslie suggested.

We got to the fake beach; it was a big open space, filled with sand. Beds and parasols were placed here and there and there was a bar at the back. There was a huge pool that had a machine that could recreate waves, giving it an actual beach vibe.

The last time I went to a beach was the last vacation with my mum. We went to Italy. We had a house for ourselves and I loved it there. I swam in the pool and played pretend war with my mum and the water guns. We went on hikes and explored cities. It was there when I discovered that tiramisu would be my favourite dessert from that moment on.
Me and my dad haven't been on vacation after my mum died; my dad couldn't handle that. He would only think about the fact that the first woman he ever fell in love with, wasn't there with him.
I understood that and I just let it be. I knew life would never be the same without her, so why pick up old traditions or things we used to do as family?

We never have game night anymore, or Friday night concerts from me. We also never play a modelling show or paint our nails anymore. We used to go to museums, festivals or just for a walk in the woods. I did all those things with my mum, but my dad would watch. At least, I think he always watched us. I hope he watched us.
My dad and I used to go trampoline jumping, laser gaming, a shooting range, watching football games or go ice skating. Always sporty activities and I had never liked them. I am not lazy, I just find my joy in art and music, and that was something my dad has never understood.

I tried hard to like football. I even tried to join the team on my old school and I played at my best on school during P.E. classes, but nothing worked. I suck at sports, that's a fact. When my dad realised this, our relationship grew out to be even worse. It was like he never saw the effort I put into liking football or other sports he liked. He never saw that I was always sitting next to him by games not to please him, but to actually understand it so I could talk with him about it. I tried so many different sports, but nothing worked. I would always end up on the bench or my mum would take me off it because she saw that I wasn't enjoying it.

When I discovered music, I was so happy. I saw a man playing guitar for money on the street once and I knew, I wanted to play guitar like that too. My mum put me on guitar lessons and I got my first guitar for my eight birthday. I was truly happy; this is my passion! But my dad didn't seem to care. Every time I asked him if he would want to hear me play, he ignored me or say no. If I practised, he would tell me to shut up.

And then I discovered art... Things only went down from there. I made paintings and drawings and I could really express myself. I loved everything about it. It helped me.

When I showed my dad my art pieces he didn't even look up from his phone. My mum would praise me and call me and artist. She even bought a beret for me! But my dad would look at it if my mother showed me, but next to that, no reaction. No encouragement to keep going, no approval look, no proudness. Nothing.