Chapter 5: Is anyone here? (Liams POV)

Lilly looked at me for a few moments, not saying anything, then she finally pulled herself off of the ground. I looked at her to make sure that she was not hurt at all. I felt sick, I could only imagine what had happened to that lady in the daycare happening to someone like Lilly...
Or worse, every day, Angela and Ben were outside of the walls, they always had things like that happening to them, I remember one of Ben's first nights he had seen a dead body hanging from a tree and he had been attacked and luckily saved by one of his old friends by a heard of the dead.
But, when the lady that had been taking care of the daycare was taken in, bullets in the top of her forhead. I had seen all the looks of the kids in that room, luckily I had heard of things like that before from Angela and Ben, so I was sort of used to it.
But it still made me feel a bit sick when I saw her dead body. I never liked that day care lady, but she was still a part of our community. I didn't want any person to die. The kids, I doubt they even knew what the dead were, or what they were like.
I remember one of those nights, Ben had been attacked by one of Angela's old friends. That was the first time I had ever seen one of the dead, or at least the first time I had seen one that I had remembered.
I always wondered how this virus had happened in the first place, they were slow and and loud. I guess it kind of made sense though, how it all had happened, Angela and Ben had told me all of their stories.
People had no idea who they were or what was going on at first. And they were very hard to kill, especially at first because it took a while for people to find out how to kill them. Angela told me she saw on the news in cities like New York and LA, and Chicago.
She told me, police were shooting them, but they just kept coming. There was no way to stop them, everyone was so afraid. Everyone was flying to airports trying to go to an island and be safe... The islands were not safe either.
I always wondered, what started it, how did this all happen? Who was the first one that was infected? I shook my head, it was too many thoughts going in my head for my brain to handle. I looked back at Lilly as she began walking towards me.
"Liam... Get inside... I fear the attack is here, we need to hide!" Lilly said to me. I looked at her, I could see nothing but fear on her face. Much like the face of the kids in the daycare when they had heard the original gunshots. Everything seemed like it was going too fast for me to handle.
I nodded to her, then me and her ran inside of the house. I looked around in the kitchen. Lilly locked the door, then she turned to me. I looked at her, her fear seemed like it was gone, now it seemed like I was the only one that was afraid.
How could you really blame me? This had never happened to me before, everyone told me to be ready for something like this though. But I did not realize how sickening it was to me, to see something like that. Her body, she was gone... Just being pulled by the man that had walked in.
He was an evil man, I could tell, the smile that was on his face. It was like it was just some fun game to the guy. I shook my head once again, come back to the present Liam... This is life or death, I need to stay alive for Ben and Angela, I knew I was the only thing holding on to their life.
"Hide in the basement, I will lock all of the doors and windows... Promise me, no matter what you hear or see to not leave that crawl space." She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, what was she telling me?
I knew what she was telling me though, she was saying, that she was going to stay in the house. I would be in the small little spot by myself. She was trying to make sure that no matter what, I was safe.
It made sense, she coughed every few moments. She told me that she used to smoke a lot of cigarettes when she was younger. We would be heard of someone somehow managed to get into the house. She was putting me above all else. I looked at her and nodded.
I then ran into the basement, I opened the door to the crawlspace. I let it sit open for a few more moments, and then I closed the door. I was hoping that Lilly was coming into the basement to hide in there with me. I knew she wasn't though.
I closed my eyes, the room was dark, there was no reason for me to have them open. I sighed quietly to myself and just started thinking so many dark thoughts to myself once again. I hated having these dark thoughts, I was a happy kid, I always loved lifting someones spirits.
At this moment, it was just impossible to have any good thoughts in my mind, no matter how hard I tried. I just let all of the thoughts come in, just let them get it over with. I could still hear gunshots from time to time in the background.
The community was not ready for it, we had spent weeks waiting to get attacked. And just when we think that it was just something to scare us, we let everyone leave the community and not have people worrying about it anymore.
I could see how it was a smart play, but in the end, it was not because now we were being attacked. It was real, I just wanted to shake it off like it wasn't, stop thinking Liam... You are 4 years old, you don't need to be worried about this kind of stuff right now. The community will get over it and we will fight back and we will win.
But did I really believe that? Angela wasn't hear, she was one of our best fighters... She had left last night, left me at the daycare. Maybe she was still close by, maybe she could hear to gunshots... Maybe she would save all of us! I shook my head though.
Odds are, she was way out there somewhere. This was what she had always feared would happen. She always told us to be ready, and she would be here for us if we were not. But she wasn't here now, and neither was Ben.
For some reason I feared for them, even though they were safer than me right now. I opened my eyes for a few moments, a little bit of dust flew into my eyes. I blinked trying to shake it off, but then suddenly I heard a loud noise from inside the house.
For a few moments I thought about leaving the crawlspace and making sure that Lilly was okay. But I remembered that she had told me to stay in the crawlspace no matter what. I just really wanted to make sure that she was okay!
But then I heard voices inside the house, I closed my eyes and did my best to hear what they were saying. I managed to catch a few of the words that they were saying. But they were probably not the words that I would have wanted to hear.
"Look at this old lady... I saw you come in with a boy, tell me where he is and you get to live..." A woman said. I then heard a knife slide out of something and I heard Lilly yell very loudly. I feared for her life, I could only imagine what was going on in that room.
I heard silence for a few more moments, for a few moments I wondered if somehow time had managed to stop. But then I heard the lady yell once again. This time she sounded even more upset than before.
"Tell me now! Or Ill cut you somewhere worse than before!" The lady yelled to Lilly. I could only imagine the thoughts that were going on through her head right now. I closed my eyes even harder as I heard the voices quieter than before, clearly there was another person in the room.
I shivered, I feared for not just my life, but Lilly's life as well. I could only imagine what she had meant when she had said stab her worse than before. Clearly the lady had stabbed Lilly none the less. I wanted to run out of the room and some how stop them.
But I was 4 years old, there was not a thing I could do, and I knew that. I shook my head and just kept on listening, this time I heard Lilly's voice talking, I heard every word that she said, and it was so brave of her... Little did I know those would be her last words.
"I don't know who you are talking about." Lilly said to the lady, but I could hear the way she had said it, more in a laughable tone as if she was making it seem like the lady that had been talking was crazy. I wanted to laugh as well but I did not want to be heard, this is life or death for me...
"Bullshit... We saw you sneak in with him from further back... If you don't want to talk, then we will just find him ourselves... You had your chance you old hag..." I heard the lady yell very loudly and very upset at Lilly clearly.
But that wasn't all that I heard... I heard a loud pop, and something landed on the floor in the other room. Clearly it was Lilly's body that had fallen to the floor and I felt sick. I wanted to run out of the room and fall into her arms...
Maybe it wasn't her! Maybe somehow Lilly had managed to grab a gun and shoot the lady... Those chances were slim to none... It 1 was shot, and there were 2 others in the room with her clearly. I shivered as it was all silent in the room, then I heard 1 loud gunshot outside of the house.
After that I heard another 1, and then 1 more right after that one. I closed my eyes, I could only imagine what was going on in the rest of the community. I opened my eyes though, I heard the lady talking in the other room. Clearly it was Lilly that had been the one that had gotten shot.
"Damn it! Don't tell London about this... We need to get back." The lady said to the person that she was with. I heard a little bit more of talking, then I heard the door open, and then it closed. Clearly they had left the room.
I did not dare walk out of the crawlspace though, I wanted to see if Lilly was still alive, but I knew that I could not. I just laid on the ground and tried my best not to cry. I shivered, it was warm but I felt a slight since of cold. Somehow, I managed to fall asleep with those thoughts still stuck in my mind.

I woke up, the gunshots in the background were gone now, but that is not what had woken me up. It was near my nap time, that is why I somehow managed to fall asleep. I should not have fallen asleep, but maybe it was smarter for me to fall asleep anyways.
I heard the door open and I lifted myself up, right as the door was open, I heard a voice that I surprisingly recognized as Bens... I wondered how so, he was supposed to be gone for weeks! Surely I wasn't sleeping that long!
"Is anyone here?!"