Chapter 15: Liam? (Liam's POV)

I heard the voice from just outside of the house, and I recognized the voice. I was just so scared to walk out of the little crawlspace that I was in. Lilly had told me to stay in it no matter what I heard. I had to listen to her, but I don't know what was going on.
I had over heard Ben and Angela talking about our community potentially getting attacked, but that was about it. I had been warned about it, but I did not think it was real. And now it seemed like everything was going so fast, I didn't even know how long I had been in this spot.
I wanted to get out, the voice yelled outside of the house one more time, this time it was a little bit more clear to me who it was. It was Christian, he was the mentor of my brother Ben... He was good right? I was not too sure, if Lilly was even alive...
I had heard the gunshot, and they were talking in the other room. I shivered thinking about it, I did not even want to think about Lilly being dead. She couldn't be, surely right? There was no way, they must have left with her, whoever those people were that had come into the house.
They were looking for me... They weren't looking for her, I closed my eyes for a few moments. If that was Christian, I should be okay to get out of here now right? I sat there for just a few more moments, still a bit scared to do anything.
I closed my eyes, I was hungry, but even worse I was so thirsty, there was only so much longer that I could take in here, at least the night that my mom had died, Ben was in a storage shed that had food and water, there was nothing in here for me besides a few pieces of china that Lilly had.
It was so hot in here none the less, it was not this hot outside, but the longer that I was in here it just seemed to heat up more and more. I opened my eyes, and I made my decision, I don't think Lilly was here anymore, they must have taken her with them.
The longer that I stayed in here, at some point I would pass out from dehydration or heat exhaustion. I began moving towards the exit of the crawl space. I looked around, still a bit scared, maybe I could just stay in here a little bit longer just in case.
No... I had to make my decision now, I did not have enough time, I had to get out and get something to drink. I then opened the door, and I did not here anything inside the house. Christian must have left, probably assuming that there was no one in there.
I shivered, now realizing that I had not heard the voice of Ben, I had only heard the voice of Christian... My brother had said that he was going to be gone for a long time with his mentor, why were they back so early? How long had I really been inside the crawl space?
I closed my eyes for just a few more moments, and then just thought to myself, that this was going to be okay. It was what my sister had always taught me, if I thought positive, then positive would follow me, and the opposite if you thought negative.
It was something that my mom had taught her, I wish that I would have met my mom. Everyone that I had ever met had told me that she was the most amazing person ever. But unfortunately, as my sister had told me the story, she had died with my father outside trying to save the community.
My sister had said the last thing that she had seen, was my mother smiling at me while she was being torn apart by the dead. I shivered, and then reopened my eyes, trying my best not to think about it, I hoped one day I could be like my brother and my sister, I would make sure that the dead payed for what they had done to so many people.
My brother had told me that there used to be 8 billion people that roamed the earth, and now it was just us. Just a couple thousand... And not to mention, that there were 8 billion of the dead that were all around... Some day, years from now I would make sure the dead payed for all of it.
I then began walking to the exit door of the basement that I had been stuck in for a long time. As I got closer, I then heard footsteps from inside of the house, someone was in here with me. Was it Christian? I shivered, scared to open the door now.
It could be one of the people that had just attacked us too right? No... That could not be true, I had heard them leave and they said that they were leaving all of us. It had to be Christian inside, maybe even Ben was with him, they must be looking for me.
My sister had already left the community, she was probably going to be gone for quite some time, and besides, she would not be the one with Bens mentor. I opened the door, and looked around the room that I was in. It was the living room.
I heard the footsteps coming from the kitchen, and I smiled to myself, they really were looking for me, they were fine, we would all be fine... I am sure that Lilly would get out of wherever she was at right now, she was smart, just like me...
"Ben? Christian?" I said, moving closer towards the kitchen. I did not get a response from them, but the footsteps began moving closer to me. Now all of the sudden, the fear began creeping back into me, if they were there they would have responded to that, surely right?
I moved back and then tripped on one of the tables that was in the living room and I fell to the ground, the lamp that was standing on the table fell down to the ground as well, and it landed with a big crash, one of the pieces of glass from the lightbulb landed directly into my right pinkie finger.
I yelled in pain, as I looked at the spot that the piece of glass had cut into my finger. It was bleeding a little bit, and I pulled the piece of glass from out of the finger quickly. I then heard the footsteps getting closer to the exit of the kitchen.
But I heard a loud grown as well, I looked up a bit confused. Then I saw it, the dead that was standing right in front of me, almost with a smile on its face in a creepy way, as if it knew it was about to tear me apart. It was about 25 feet in front of my right now.
It just stood there for a few seconds, it was a bit darker in the room since I had broken the lamp, I could hardly see what was in front of me, but I could clearly see that it was one of the dead, and I could see that it had long curly hair as well.
Much like someone that I knew, someone that was very close to my heart. I shook my head, the dead then began moving towards me, much faster than I had ever heard that the dead could move at. I moved back a little bit, but I noticed that it was moving much faster towards me than I was moving away from it.
I picked myself up, as quick as a possibly could, and then I turned around, I could practically feel the dead breathing on me. Even though I knew that the dead did not even breathe in the first place. I began running down the hallway, I could hear the footsteps as the dead sounded like it was running as well.
I turned myself into the guest bedroom, that I stayed at, it was right beside Lilly's bedroom, but she told me to never go into it, so I would hold my word on it even through the situation that I was in right now. I slammed the door closed, and then locked it at the same time.
I then sat myself on the ground, I was having a panic attack, and there was no one to calm me down this time. I was stuck in a dark room, just hearing the dead walking right outside my door, getting closer and closer to me.
I knew that it could not get in though, I was safe for now... I had locked the door just in case, even though I knew that the dead did not know how to open a door in the first place. At least that was one thing that I had over the dead, they were so stupid.
Everything else they practically owned me in though, they were bigger, way stronger than any other human practically, and they had an unlimited amount of stamina. I just sat there for a few moments, listening as I heard the dead just slamming its body into the door over and over again.
I shivered once again, and then I ran to the far corner of the room, and I tried to turn on the light, but it did no sort of work. It seemed as if the power was out for some reason. I lifted the blinds to the window to get some light from outside.
The moment that I did that however, I regretted it right away. I saw the dead, they were everywhere practically, just roaming the streets. I looked at them, and then I saw one, it noticed me and it began walking over to me. I closed the blinds back up right away.
I then walked away from the window, try to not think about what I had just seen. There was no way that someone had been outside my door then, I must be going crazy... There was no way that anyone could be outside right now, if there was anyone alive in the first place none the less.
I just kept on staring at the doorway, still hearing the dead just try to smash into it over and over again, but it was having no such luck... I then realized, at some point the door would get weak, and it would break at some point surely right? The dead did not get weak... It would just keep on smashing into the door over and over again.
The moment that I had thought about it, was the exact moment that a large section of the door then broke in. The dead then noticed it as well and it popped its head right out of the small little spot that was open in the door, it was just a spot though, barely enough for its head to get through.
I began screaming, scared out of my right mind, it probably was not smart, the dead that were outside of the house would probably hear me, and they would try to get in as well. But I was not thinking about that in the heat of the moment.
I was more worried about the dead that was trying to chew its way through the door to get to me in the room that I was in. I began crying, as I looked down at the ground, this was the end for me, I should have just stayed in the crawlspace, or I should have yelled back to Christian.
I was just too scared, I was a little coward... Now I was going to pay the price for it. I looked back up at the dead, and I noticed it, through the pale skin and the blood on its chest... I knew the face right away... It was the face of Lilly...
I then began crying even more now, it seemed to make the dead even more happy as it continued to slowly crawl through the hole that it had made in the door. I just sat there for a few more moments, figuring that I should just let it go through...
But then I remembered, I turned my head to the back side of the room, and looked at the closet, maybe I could go through the closet without the dead noticing at all. That was the only way out, that was the only way that I could survive this...
Eventually the dead would get through, and it would tear me apart... I could try to run out through the window, but it was even worse the sight that I saw outside. I turned my head back to the dead, as I saw it slowly tearing smaller holes in the door.
By now it could easily fit its whole head through, I looked at it, trying to think of a way to distract it, to where it would not see me go into the closet. I looked around the room, and then I spotted something, a thing that Lilly had been talking about doing for a long time.
She had pieces of bricks lying in the corner of the room, she had told me that she was going to make a shed outside her house, once she figured out how to even build one in the first place.
I shook my head, this was the only way that I could make it out of this encounter. I walked over to the edge of the room, looking back at the dead, as I saw another piece of the door fall down on the ground. I then slowly picked up the brick, it was quite heavy, considering that it was not that big in the first place.
I sat there for a few moments, I had a brain fart, I completely forgot what I was doing in the first place with the brick, but then eventually my brain went back on track. I began moving towards the dead, as I got closer, the dead suddenly snapped its head at me.
Right towards my hand, but luckily I managed to put a brick in front of my finger just before it got towards it. The dead then tried biting into the brick, thinking that it was a piece of my body for some reason. I bunched of pieces of its teeth then spit out at me.
I moved back a bit surprised for a few more moments, and then the dead dropped the brick down on the ground. It began try to bite through the door, but this time I noticed that it was going much slower than before, mainly because it was missing a fair amount of its teeth.
I looked at the brick that was laying down right beside the dead, and I thought about picking it up and trying again. But right away I thought it best not too, there was blood all over the brick, and it was too close to the dead for me to even think about grabbing it in the first place.
I went back to the corner of the room once again, and I grabbed another brick from up off of the floor. This one was a bit lighter, but it still was too heavy for me to possibly hold with one hand. I moved towards the dead once again, staying a little further back this time in the case that it tried doing what it did last time.
I thought about what I could do to try and distract it, and the only thing that I could think about it in the moment was to throw the brick at its head. I nodded to myself and tossed the brick at its head, it knocked the dead back and it fell to the ground behind the door along with the brick.
I sat there for a few moments, waiting hear to a response... Had I just killed Lilly? I shivered, but then I heard the dead begin groaning once again, as it lifted itself back up and then began running back at the door once again I fell back down onto the ground.
I should have ran to the open closet while I had the chance. I sat there for a few moments, just laying at the door, as the dead kept on tearing its way through, and then I nodded to myself, it had nearly worked last time, I just had to do the same thing again.
The dead were not smart, it would not realize that I would just run to the closet. I shook my head and then I went back to the corner once again to grab another brick from off of the ground. I picked it up and then I went back over to Lilly who was still at the door.
For a few moments, Lilly stopped biting at the door, and she looked at me... I looked back at her for a few moments, It suddenly looked like she was back to normal again, like she was not dead... We sat there staring at each other, I thought, that for a few seconds... She might have just come back to life.
But as soon as I put that thought into my head, she went back to normal and she rammed her head through the door to try to bite me once again. I shook my head, trying to shake out those thoughts, if I thought like that, then I would most certainly end up like one of them.
I moved back quickly, as she nearly got towards me once again. I nearly dropped the brick down on my foot a bit surprised, but I just barely caught myself before I did so. I then looked at the dead again, and then I through the brick at it.
This time the throw was much weaker, which a lot had to do with the fact that my arm was so weak carrying the large brick in the first place. It bounced off her head and then landed in front of the doorway, right beside the other brick.
This time I did not think about picking it up, seeing the blood that was all over the brick... I saw a large dent in her skull however. It gave me an idea, I wanted to shake my head and not think about it, but it seemed like it could be a good idea at the same time.
An idea that might very well save my life, that might make it able to be able to see my brother and sister again. The way things were looking right now it did not seem to be possible. I shook my head, I had to do it, while it might be a bit of a sick idea, it might very well be the idea that could save my life.
I went back to the corner of the room to pick up another brick, I slowly picked it up this time, my arm was much weaker than before. But I managed to carry it back to the door, and I looked at Lilly dead in the face. This time she did not look back at me like last time.
She was looking at me with an evil look in her eyes, all her brain could think about right now, was dinner. I moved myself slowly towards her, this time I was more angry than before... I was angry at the world, for all that had happened, for doing this to everyone.
For what happened to my mother, to my father, to Ben and Angela's father, to what happened to everyone, and what was still happening... Today had proved that to be true, or however long that I had been sitting in that crawl space... I had been there for so long I had pissed myself.
It wasn't just the fact that I had been there for so long... I was afraid, I did not know what was going on... I did not know if I was going to ever see my brother, and my sister ever again... But now I would, now I would prove to them that I was strong.
This time I looked at Lilly with anger, as the adrenaline began pumping through my body, I ran at her with the brick, I then smashed it directly in the dented spot in her skull that I had made just a few moments ago. She fell down to the ground, the brick landed on top of her.
If the hit that I had given her had not killed her, then the brick landing on her head definitely had finished the job, I looked through the door, just staring at Lilly's body for a few moments. Her head was smashed up and pieces of her brain were scattered on the ground.
The deed was done... She was gone now, I would never see her again... I might not see many people ever again, the way things were looking at least. I shook my head, I felt sick thinking about what I had just done. Lilly was family to me, Lilly was a friend to me...
I looked away, and walked to the other side of the room, I thought about opening the door, but I felt to sick to walk out of the room... I did not want to go anywhere in the house right now, I was thirsty, and I was hungry, but those were the last of the thoughts that were on my mind.
I looked back at the open closet that was sitting there, just looking at me, almost as if it was begging for me to go in... That is where I should have gone in the first place, I should not have done what I just did, it was going to scar me for the rest of my life, and I knew it, I should not be doing things like that at such a young age.
I walked towards the closet, and then I walked in, it was a bit dank and musty in there, it smelt a bit bad, but I got over it, I would rather be in there than be in the other room, just sitting in there, right beside the dead body of Lilly, thinking all of those dark and evil thoughts.
They were swarming through my brain right now, I could only imagine what it would be like it I was in the other room, if I could see the blood on the bricks that were sitting beside me. I could still see them right now, I quickly shut the door, and I just sat there inside the closet.
I just began crying, those were the only emotions that I could get out of myself right now, after what I had just done, to a person that I had loved so much, a person that I held so dearly to my heart. I closed my eyes, it was dark in the room, there was no reason to have them open.
I sat there for a long time, and I just kept on crying, for what seemed like hours. Until the point that my body could no longer shed any more tears do to the fact that I had no more water left in my system... At some point I had to get out of here, and get something to eat, and something to drink.
I knew it, if I wanted to stay alive, if I wanted to see my brother and my sister again... If they were still alive none the less. I shook my head and kept on crying, due to the fact that I even thought about them being dead as well, thinking of them being like Lilly...
Lilly was dead dead though, they could be out there, roaming the streets like the rest of the dead were right now. I kept on crying, and then I opened my eyes, I shook my head, I felt extremely thirsty now, I was beginning to notice that more and more.
And anything to drown all of those other thoughts that were going on inside of my head as well. I knew they would come back to me the moment that I walked through the door and went into the hallway. The moment that I saw Lilly's dead body laying on the floor.
The mess that I had made, I shook my head, and then I spotted something in the corner of the large closet that I was in. I spotted large bottles of water just sitting there in front of me, and beside those, there were tons of cans of beans as well.
The cans that I could easily just pop open none the less, I remembered that Lilly had told me about all of that, that was in the corner... "In case of an emergency" she had said to me. Right now, this was one of those cases, this was an emergency.
I smiled to myself, finally... I looked up at the sky, and I thanked whatever god there was. Lilly was there with him, smiling down at me, she had saved me once again. There was no way that I could just walk out of the room and get something to eat and drink.
To try to pretend that everything was normal, and that everything was fine and dandy. I moved myself closer to the large bottle of water. The I slowly opened the fairly strong cap. It was clearly a bottle of water that Lilly had made herself...
She must have been planning for something like this for quite some time. She was right, something like this did end up happening. I began chugging up the water, as much as I could at once... Even though I knew that half of it was dripping on the floor or on my shirt.
I was just so thirsty, it did not even matter. I then popped open the beans, normally it would be a lot better if they were at least semi warm, but it did not matter to me right now, I was just so hungry I was happy to have some food on me in the first place.
I ate the can in what seemed like a few seconds, and then I began chugging some more water, to wash out the nasty taste of the beans. I smiled to myself, cleansing the thoughts from out of my head, and then I leaned my head back on some of the pairs of shirts and pants, to make to feel like a pillow.
It was not a pillow, but it was good enough, I realized how tired I was, I must have not slept that whole time that I was inside of that crawl space, which I could not blame myself for if I was going to be honest...
I quickly fell into a deep patch of sleep, with a smile on my face this time.

I woke up, and heard knocking on the door, loud knocking... Knocking that kind of scared me, and freaked me out quite a bit. Eventually the knocking stopped, and there was silence for quite a large amount of time.
I sat there, a but freaked out, wishing there was a lock to the closet door. I looked up and remembered that there was a stair way that I could open to that attic as well... I lifted my body up from off of the ground to open it, but just before I did I heard the door open and I went into silence.
"Lilly? Is anyone here? Are you alive Liam?"