Chapter 7: Why did this happen? (Sasha POV)

I watched, as my best friend fell to the ground. I sat there, staring at her face for a few more moments. What was left of her face at least... I had not talked to her in so long, and now she was gone... It was my fault, just like it always was, I felt sick.
I saw as someone from not too far away was walking over to the house. I looked at the person for a few more moments, I did not recognize the person... Why was she carrying a gun? I then looked at my friend Ashley one more time, everything then became a harsh reality.
I knew what I had to do, I had to hide... Or maybe I should just let that lady kill me, like she did to my friend Ashley. I shook my head, I had to stop thinking, and I had to start doing, it was one thing I managed to learn from Ben.
But now even me and him were not talking, and just like it was with Ashley, it was all my fault... What was wrong with me? I shivered as I saw the lady coming even closer and closer to place, I heard her yelling something, luckily she had not seen me yet.
Somehow I could manage to find my way out of this, I had already wasted so much time. I turned around and then ran into the other room, the room where the attic was, this is where I would hide, this is where Ashley and I used to hang out with each other at.
I grabbed the cord to pull open the attic and I heard it slam loudly to the ground, I cursed myself for that, I had completely forgotten that it used to do that, and Ashley's dad would always get super upset at us, because he was always doing something or he was always trying to rest.
I closed my eyes for a few moments, I had to stop thinking about those times, it was another thing that I had learned from Ben... Stop thinking about the past, think of the present, and then after you think about that, then you think about the future.
It was kind of sick the situation that I was using it in, but he was right, no matter what the situation was I had to do that. I nodded to myself and then I began climbing up the large ladder to hide in the attic.
I heard someone yell from the front door, and I froze the moment I heard the exact words that the lady was yelling, and all of them were directly aimed at me.
"Come out here young girl! We know you are hiding in here somewhere, we just killed your little friend, we aren't going to kill you though... Oh yes, you are much better looking than her." The lady that I had seen from far away said to me.
Time stopped, just not in my favor... I felt sick... This was going to be the end for me. I had so much to live for, so much that I could have achieved, but I never did any of it. Everything was going to fast for me, and my brain stopped functioning...
I then put myself together, I had to stop feeling sorry for myself, sure maybe I was right, maybe a lot of this was my fault. In fact, all of this was my fault, if I would have just stayed in my place, I could have hid there, and then I could have just waited another day to catch up with Ashley.
But no... Instead I felt like this was the perfect day to do it, and now my best friend was gone. She would have been hiding in her place just like me, the moment that she had heard those gunshots even closer than before...
I opened my eyes, I heard the person that was at the front door sigh and then walk into the house, I heard her footsteps. I climbed up to the top of the ladder and then as I landed in the attic, I slowly closed it so that it did not make any noise and she would not know what room I was in.
I heard the footsteps go further and further away, I then thanked myself for coming to my senses. She would have found me if I just stayed hiding in that room. I closed my eyes, it was dark in the attic, and the dust from the attic was landing right in them.
Clearly the attic had not been opened in a very long time. It used to be opened every day, back when me and Ashley were best friends. I knew that she was not hanging out in it anymore. We didn't really hang out in it when we worked at the daycare together.
But sometimes we would, just to remember the good old days... Now the days were far in the past, much like my tine with Ashley, now that I thought more about it, it all seemed so short lived. I closed my eyes even harder trying not too think about it.
I was good at that, I always didn't think about the time I spent with her, or the time that I spent with Ben. Ben, he was probably gone as well, maybe not, maybe he was out of the walls doing his job, I always wanted to do something like that, but I never was given the chance.
I didn't want to sit on my ass all day, just thinking about being a farmer or not working at all made me sick, I always wanted to go out of the walls, be useful for the community. I heard that the farmers were the most useful out of all of us.
It was an easy job, we would be living if we just farmed, but we wouldn't be actually living... We would just be making enough to get by and eat, we wouldn't have guns to protect us, we wouldn't have cool things such as books or any new people.
I was happy with my job working at the daycare, but I never really felt useful, any person can watch over kids... Much like any person can be a farmer, it was nothing compared to working outside of the walls to me.
I loved the kids, they were fun and playful, they had no idea what the world was really like, what it had come to, and all that had happened before and after it. Or anything thar was happening now.
I always asked Ben to tell me about the few days that he was out there, he always went off the subject because he said that he did not want to scare me. I felt bad for it, I was not going to be scared, I was meant for so much more and I knew it.
I could have been trained, maybe even my Ben's own sister. I shook my head thinking about that though... She had never trained anyone before, and she would probably like to keep that the same... Maybe if she actually knew me though.
I shook my head once again, it would not even matter now, Ben I knew had told her about me. They probably both hated me now. I always managed to find a way to get people to hate me, I was not a bad person, I felt bad for it still though.
My mind came back to reality, back to all that was going on around me, Ashley, she had just been killed, I had never seen someone being killed before, it felt sick to me now, much like Ben told me it would. Even seeing someone being torn apart by the dead...
I heard several footsteps this time, there were multiple people in the house now, it wasn't just that one lady this time. I heard them talking to each other, it would not be long until they found the attic and would realize that I was hiding in there.
If they were any sort of smart at least, maybe today would be my lucky day, they sure did not sound smart just based off of a couple of words I had managed to catch. But they were smart enough to find the community and destroy it I suppose, smart enough to make it out here...
I was not smart enough for that and I knew it, I always thought of sneaking out and seeing what the world had really come to. I always would ask Ben that each time he came to the daycare to drop Liam off or pick him up.
He did not tell me all that much, he just told me that the grass was really tall and there was everything else was the same besides it all looking run down and there was no one around. I asked him one time if maybe one day he would take me out to show me.
He told me that he would, once he was done being trained. I was always so excited for that day, but now that day was probably not going to happen, he probably hated me now, either that or he was hurt that I was ignoring him, for probably no reason in his eyes.
Maybe he might have thought that I did not like the sex, but it was nothing like that, it in fact was very fun to me, but it was more that I felt embarrassed about it and did not want to talk to anyone about it.
I had lost my virginity, most people probably thought that I already had... I knew it because everyone that I always met called me hot, I would thank them for the complement but I never really wanted to talk about that fact.
Ben probably just thought that I was just using him for sex, he probably thought of me of just some dumb slut. It had nothing to do with that, I did not know why I was ignoring him, maybe if I somehow managed to get out of this then I would tell him about it.
I heard the footsteps draw closer to the room I was in, my mind came back to what was really going on, yes... My best friend had just been killed, and now they were looking for me. What could I do? They would eventually find me, there were not many places to hide in here.
I heard the footsteps stop and then I heard the lady say something to the guys, I felt scared and sick, they were in the room with me... I knew they knew I was up here now for sure. This was the last room the had looked and this was the only place to hide.
"I can't find her, lets just give up, at any point London is going to send us back to the community house to finish this up..." I heard one of the two guys say to the lady that was clearly the leader, and the smarter one out of all of them.
They weren't that stupid were they? Maybe they knew that I heard them, maybe they were just playing little games with me. I felt sick and I felt scared at the same time, I wanted to kill that lady that had just killed my best friend.
I wiped off the blood that was on my face, it had been there for a while now and it was started to peel into my skin, I looked in the dark, I could barely see it, but it was the blood of my best friend, she was gone now. I shook my head and kept paying attention to the people as they continued talking.
"Dumbass... She is obviously right above us, did you think this house would not have an attic, the chain is right there." The lady said to the first guy that had just about given up. I heard her and the other dude start laughing at the first guy who was very dumb.
They now knew I was up here... This was the end for me, they would find me up here and then they would kill me just like they had done to Ashley, I wanted to cry... Why had all of this happened to me so fast?
Ben had told me that this was going to happen, he did not get that deep into it but he already knew that it was all going to happen, and the entire community gave up after a few weeks and they stopped taking it seriously.
Now it was all happening so fast, not like the way that everyone expected it to happen. But how exactly did everyone expect it to happen? I remember the day the lady had come to my house, she had quite a bit scared look on her face. She told me all about it, she went into even further detail than Ben had about it.
I opened my eyes and then realized what was happening, I had to do something fast... This was not going to be the day that I was going to die... I looked around the room, I realized one thing that I always made sure not to forget...
Ashley's father... He had shotguns, handguns, all sorts of guns he had up here, he told us not to go anywhere near them, he said they were all already loaded and if you accidently turned the safety off it could fire at any moment.
I remembered where he had always put them... In the back corner in the far right, they already knew I was up here so I did not both when I heard the very loud footsteps that I was making, to do anything about it. I heard them laugh, they knew that I knew that they were coming for me...
What they did not know is that I had guns up here... There was just one problem, I did not know how to turn the safety off... Well maybe, I knew the shotgun did not have a safety on it. I looked at it in the corner.
I heard the door to the attic open, I shook my head trying to get my head in the right place, if I wanted to make it out of here alive. I grabbed the shotgun and sat there waiting for the people to come up the stairs of the ladder.
I then heard the first footsteps, they were much louder than my own, clearly it was the was one of the guys, because the lady that I had seen did not look all that big in the first place. She must be the leader of them because she was obviously much smarter than the guys.
I saw his head pop up, I was in the corner and it was so dark he could not see me. If I shot right now, the pieces of the shotgun would not be enough to kill him, just barely enough to hurt him. I was too far away from him but I knew that he could not see me through the darkness of the attic merged with him being in a bright room.
He looked around for a few more moments, and then his head disappeared, I waited for his head to pop back up, maybe he had seen me and he was just grabbing a gun to finish me off, I listened as he talked to the people that were with him.
"I don't see her up there, lets just go... Don't say anything about her." The guy said to the other people that he was with. For a moment I thought that somehow I would manage to make it out of the situation, but then I heard the other guy speak for the first time.
"Are you dumb? We just heard her walking up there... Give me the locks and I will get her..." He said to the dude that I had just seen. The other dude said something behind his back and I heard him toss something to the other guy.
"I can't tell if you are that stupid, or you are just that lazy, or maybe you are afraid of that young girl... Or maybe all 3 of them... You don't think your fat ass can beat her in a fight?" The lady said to the big dude that had just popped his head into the attic.
This time, I moved closer to the attic, I did not know how many rounds the gun had, if it had any at all, so I needed to make my shot perfect, I needed to make sure that every single shot was worth it. I heard the dude say something back to the lady.
"I would destroy her... I would beat you in a fight, watch yourself..." I heard the other guy say back to the lady. The lady began laughing, but I was not paying any attention to any of it anymore as I saw the other dude walk up into the attic.
Just like the first guy he began looking into the attic, and for a few moments I thought maybe he would not see me and he would give up like the first guy did. But the moment I saw him look right at me, he had a look of fear in his eyes.
He saw me holding the shotgun, he saw me because I was closer than before. I realized what I had to do right away, and my reaction time was much faster than many people thought that it might be.
I picked it up and shot it right at him, making sure that it was perfectly accurate and it would be enough to put the guy down. I shot the gun, the noise that it made from the shot was so loud I dropped it right as I shot it. But the deed had been done.
The guy fell down from the ladder I heard the thud as he hit the ground. I heard silence for a few more moments, I pulled back on the shotgun like Ben had told me to do and I waited for one of them to come up here like he did.
But no one came, I still waited anyways not wanted to make any risk. I then heard the dude begin talking, the guy that I had just shot. I looked at the shotgun a bit confused... I thought shotguns at this range would have destroyed him, I thought I was fairly accurate.
"Owwww... Fuck! She hit me with a birdshot..." I heard the guy yell to the others. I looked at the shotgun once again... What was a birdshot? I had never heard of a shotgun called a birdshot before. I looked at the other guns and moved back to grab one of them.
I looked around for the safety and I found it, I then clicked on it to make sure that it was turned off. I knew that they had heard the click that I had made on the gun and the first dude yelled and he sounded a bit scared in his voice.
"She's got more shit... I'm not going up there." The guy said to the lady. They were silent for a few more moments, maybe the were tricking me and trying to make me put my guard down... But I kept the gun up just in case, if they tried again they would for sure be dead.
"She's got other guns... Let's not play with it, just tell London that it was some fat guy with a bad shotgun... He will believe it, I'm not risking all of us being killed for one lady." The lady said to the big guy.
They were silent for a few more moments and then I heard the 2nd dude begin to start crying. Clearly I had not killed him, but I had for sure put him in a lot of pain.
"What if he asks about what happened, he will be really mad, I don't like when London gets mad." I heard the 1st guy say to her. London... That must be their leader, I had heard the name repeated once again. I shivered, still not sure if they were trying to trick me.
"Shit! Just get me back, I need some medical attention!" The 2nd guy said to the other 2. I tried my best not to laugh, I felt a bit sick even thinking that I might laugh at it. Even if I had not killed him, I had still tried to kill another person.
I waited, still not trusting that they were not trying to trick me. I waited for a few moments, it was still silent then I heard the big guy pick up the other, much smarter guy.
"I have a lot more of where that came from! I wouldn't come up here if I were you..." I said to them, somehow I had managed to say all that without me sounding a single bit scared in my voice. The lady was quick to respond to me.
"Alright... You don't say shit next time he comes, and neither will we... Lets just get the fuck out of here..." The lady said to me and then to the guys that she was with. I nodded thankfully but I waited for them to leave before I put gun down.
After a few more moments of silence I heard the footsteps of the first 2 walk out of the room. Then I heard the door slam, but I had only heard 2 footsteps, was there someone waiting for me to walk down so they could trick me?
Surely that was not possible right? They were clearly not smart enough to do that, I kept my gun up just in case. I made sure not to get my mind in a different place in case they were trying to trick me and were just waiting for me to come down.
After what seemed like an hour, I heard a bunch of loud gunshots from far away, and then after a little while longer I heard nothing but silence, not even a peep from anything in the other room... But why was there only 2 footsteps then?
I then remembered why I had only heard 2, the 2nd guy had been badly hurt, he was probably being carried by the first guy that was much bigger than the others. I peeped my head lower just in case though, and I sighed happily as I saw that no one was in the room thankfully.
I waited a bit longer, I did not hear anymore gunshots, but I was still pretty sure that there were still those people in the community... So I did not dare to leave the house at all, instead I went back into the attic, keeping my gun on me just in case.
They could be lying, one guy could snitch and then they could come back in here... Maybe I should go back home and hide there... That probably would not be a very smart idea either, I would be walking down the streets, they would for sure see me.
I stayed in the attic, I just sat there, I thought about maybe playing one of those old board games... But there was no one to play with in the first place, and Ashley was gone, probably at the front door somewhere, unless maybe they picked her up as well.
I doubt they were counting bodies in the first place, our own community did not even do that, so they would not have much to go off of. I just sat there, holding my gun up, for what seemed like hours.
I nearly fell asleep a few times, but I managed to stop myself from doing that. I held my gun up the whole time just staring at the small little doorway that was still open, I did not even dare close it, I never knew when someone could just be waiting for me.
After a few more hours, I saw that the light in the room was turned off, I had been sitting there for a long time and it was beginning to get dark outside, but still I did not trust even moving one bit, I knew that they were gone, the whole community was probably gone, I was probably the last one left and I was going to be forever alone.
But right as I thought like that I heard the front door being opened, luckily the door had still been locked though, they would have to find a way in if they were trying to get in to the place. But I now knew that there was no one in the house with me.
They would have made some sort of noise in the room when they heard the door being knocked on, there was no way that group of people were smart enough to think of some sort of idea that crazy, just for one person just like me.
I still did not dare leave the attic anyways... I just sat there and let the person ring the door. I knew that there was no way that the people that had attacked us would he dumb enough to be sitting there at the door just knocking on it.
I sat there, there was nothing but silence for a few moments, and I waited for a window to be smashed open, or maybe some sort of other thing. But it was all just empty, maybe someone was still alive in the community and they were just checking to see if they were not the only one.
I quickly went down the ladder, I knew that it was not the other group, they would not be here that long and they would not be that dumb. I looked out the window to try and see who it was. I looked closely, this was not the best spot to try and see.
I could make out that it was a man, a different man though, unless that man had gotten taller, and skinnier than the others... I sat there for a few moments not sure what to do. I looked as close as possible but this was clearly not the best angle.
I slowly sat there and closed the curtain, I then made my choice, they other group was probably long gone by now... I walked over into the other room, I saw Ashley's body on the floor beside the front door, I saw several pieces of her brain.
I closed my eyes and looked away, I felt sick... But then my mind came back to what was going on, someone was knocking on the front door, they knocked one more time and then they yelled something that I only managed to catch a few words out of.
"Ashley, are you in there?" I heard the guy yelling... But I recognized the voice right away, I did not even look through the peephole to make sure that is who it was. I slammed open the door, and fell into Tanner, Ashley's fathers arms...
I just began crying and he held me up before I fell to the ground...
But as soon as he caught me, I knee instantly that he had seen Ashley body sitting there right behind me. He froze, and then I heard him yell and then right after that, I felt the tears from his face as he fell down to the ground crying.
"My Ashley... No... Why??? Why did this happen?"