Chapter 2: Let's go in...

I sat there for a few moments, not sure if this was somehow a trick or not. So I kept my gun up, it was what Christian had told me to do no matter what. I could not see into the hallway, it was fairly dark, but I could see a shimmer of light through a crack in a door.
There I could see Christian was just sitting on his knees, however he was alone. I kept my gun up just in case someone was somehow just hiding further back in the dark or was standing in one of the other rooms. As I grew closer, I saw something laying on the ground right beside Christian.
The light that was left, was not enough to see who it was, but they were clearly dead. I still had my gun up as a drew closer and closer my each second. Christian then lifted his head up seeing that it was just me that was walking towards him. I looked around just in case...
"Ben... I think that they are gone... Someone was hear, I think they kicked in the door... You see that hole right?" He said to me. He pointed towards the door, and I looked a bit closer to see what it was, in the doorway there was a large hole, that was just large enough for someone to put their head in or stick their hand through the other side.
I looked at the door a bit closer, the light was getting more and more dim by each moment. I looked at Christian and then began to pick up his pack that he had left beside him. I could not tell what was going on, and I did not want to risk there being another dead in the house.
"I thought you said you heard footsteps, when was that?" I asked him. He looked down at the ground for a few moments, as if he had not heard the question that I had just asked him. But then, eventually he picked his head back up and he nodded at me.
I kept on going through his bag to get one of his electric lamps, hoping that he had a little bit of power left in it... They usually lasted a couple of days, so we should be okay... As I pulled it out, I then pressed on it to see if it would turn on... Unfortunately I had no luck...
"There's another one in there, I have been using that one, I've been looking for you, I was very worried." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, and then I nodded to him. It was okay for that, he said he did not care but each day I noticed that he was just trying to hide his grief.
I kept on searching through his bag, trying to find where his other lamp might possibly be at. Eventually I felt a bit of a clunk from the bottom, and I pulled out his smaller lamp, that did not last nearly as long, it was mainly used for emergencies, or to pull away a heard...
"It's okay to be worried, I was just trying to help other people..." I said to him. He looked at me and then he nodded back to me. I then began to flicker on the lamp to try to give us at least a little bit of light in the hallway... I was also curious to see who's body it was that was laying on the ground.
Once the light flickered on in front of my eyes, I closed my eyes for a few moments, my eyes were used to the darkness in the room by now, they had not expected there to possibly be a bunch of light to just randomly explode in front of me.
"It's Lilly Ben... I think they killed her, and then they took your brother..." He said to me. I looked down at Lilly's remains that were sitting down in front of me. I wanted to cry, but no tears could fall down from my face... I was in pain, she was gone...
So was my father, so was my mother, so was my sister... And now, so was my brother... I just sat there, staring at her face, as I said nothing to Christian, I had no words, all I felt was a large burst of pain and anger, but I did not say anything about it...
I just sat there for a few moments longer, and then I closed my eyes... Trying to think of any way that my brother might somehow be alive somewhere in the community... I then opened my eyes and looked at Lilly's body a few more times...
No... Something was not right here, if someone had killed her, they would have used a gun... It was not adding up, Christian had said that he had heard her footsteps when he was on the front porch... This had happened recently, someone had just done this...
And there were no more of any of the other community left here... So how could this have happened, I looked at Christian a few more times, and then I lifted my gun up right in front of his head. He looked at me with a surprised look on his face, but he did not say anything to me.
That only made it even more suspicious to me. I was about to pull the trigger at any moment now... It made sense to me, he had done this! Why? My body began to shiver, it was now or never, I had to shoot now, I knew he would do something to stop me before I did, but I could not help but ask.
"Why? You said you heard footsteps, and now she is dead... You did all of this, you planned all of it!" I said to him. He looked at me a fair bit surprised and confused at the same time. But then he looked down at the ground, once again proving to me that my theory was correct.
He just shook his head at me, and then he kept on staring down at the ground. I wanted so badly not to blame him, but it was all adding up now, and it was all beginning to make sense... He was close to my sister, they had both planned this! I then heard him begin to talk...
"No... But I knew this was going to happen, I did not work with them... All good things come to an end at some point... I had a love for Lilly, not the way she would have wanted, I would have never done this to her." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, and then I put my gun down.
It might not be a smart idea, but this was my mentor, he had never lied to me before, why would he suddenly do it now... I had a gut instinct in my head telling me to lift the gun back up, he was going to pick himself back up and he would slam me down.
There were so many questions going on in my head though, I do not think that Christian was evil, I don't think that he had betrayed us, that would do him no good, he would not get anything out of that... However, my sister on the other hand, she would get Tony back... That is all that she ever wanted...
"I don't know what is going on Christian, my mind is lost, I just want to wake up, and pretend that none of this was ever real..." I said to him. He looked at me for a few more moments, and then he looked down at the ground sadly once again...
I had to trust him, this was all that I had left, I had lost everything, I was alone now, and I did not know what to do. I closed my eyes and just sat down beside him. Right beside the dead body of Lilly, but I was not thinking about her at the moment.
She was gone, there was no going back, but there were some others that I could get back... It was worth a shot at least. I sat there for a few more moments, and that is when the tears began to drip down from my eyes... Now the pain was real, there was no holding back.
Christian grabbed on to me to try to make me feel at least a little bit better, it did not do much... But at least I knew that I was not alone... I was not the only one feeling the pain... Everyone in this community was in pain right now, everyone had lost something or someone...
Or they had lost their very own life... There was not much left, I just wanted to give up, just walk outside and let the dead eat me alive. It would be pain for just a few seconds, but once those few seconds were over, then I would be okay, I would never have to worry ever again.
"Kid... You still have me, I don't know what it is like, I stopped counting all of the people I lost at the beginning... You just got to keep living, pray that the next day wont be your last..." He said to me. I looked at him, and then I nodded, I wanted to die right now, meet my parents in the afterlife, but it was not my time quite yet...
No... The other community, they would pay for what they had done, I was going to make sure of it. I was going to get my brother back... I was going to be the one that killed their leader, I would make a promise to myself about that...
"Lets just keep looking around, this is a bit fishy, there has to be someone in here still... The door was locked and Lilly just recently died... Lets go into these rooms together... Best not to be alone, I've got the lamp..." I said to him. He looked at me, and then he nodded to me.
Then he lifted himself up from off of the ground, he put his hand down to help lift me up as well. Once I was up, I looked around the hallway just to see all of the rooms... I knew if there was someone going to be in any of the rooms, it was going to be the room with the broken doorway.
"She bit into the doorway, someone killed her with a brick... Let's save this room for last, check the other rooms first just in case." He said to me. I looked at Lilly's dead body, as I handed the lamp over to Christian so that he could take to lead with his gun up.
I saw the bricks, I had not noticed them sitting there before, I was in too much pain to even see that in the first place. Either that or I just did not think about the bricks at all. I shook my head as I then let Christian take the lead into Lilly's room.
Luckily it was not too big of a house, so once we went into Lilly's room, all we needed to go into was the bathroom and the garage... I was most scared about the garage, that would be the first place that someone would hide, it was so dark in there anyways, and the power was out so we couldn't turn on the bulb.
We walked into the room, it was fully dark now, so the lamp was the only light source that we had. It was enough to light up the full room, thankfully the curtains were pulled down so the light would not pull in a bunch of the dead, over to the house.
We looked around the room but we did not see anything, I nodded for Christian to go into the bathroom that was in Lilly's room, it was much smaller than the bathroom in the hallway, but there was still a toilet seat in there, this would be the last place someone would have hid.
We looked around just in case, but there was nothing in the bathroom at all. I looked around a bit sadly, each second my hopes of finding my brother were getting lower and lower... There was still a chance because I knew that Lilly would have found a place for him to hide, the question was... Where?
We walked out of the bathroom, for some reason I flicked on the light switch, even though I knew that it was not going to do anything, Christian said nothing about it thankfully however. As well then began walking towards the closet I heard a bit of a loud creak from underneath us.
Christian stopped himself and began looking around just in case there was something around us. I shook my head at him telling him not to worry about it...
"Don't worry Christian, this house creaks all of the time, it was just us walking around." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments, he still looked quite a bit cautious but he continued on towards the closet in Lilly's room. I followed him in there.
He opened the door and then we looked around for quite a few moments, Lilly had a fairly big closet, that she mainly just used to stack a whole lot of clothes, not just her own. I saw a pair of my clothes, and then I looked down at the blood that was all over me.
I was about to tell Christian about it, and ask him if I could change, but he talked over me just before I got the chance to do that at all. I turned my head over to him, as he was pointing at something on the ceiling while handing the lamp over to me at the same time.
"There's an attic, not a very big one... Hold the lamp for me, I am going to open it and see if there is anyone in there." He said to me. I looked up a but surprised, I never knew that Lilly had an attic to her place, her house was so small I never thought that it could be true.
I grabbed the lamp from Christian anyways, I wondered how he even knew that there was an attic up there, best not to think about it too deeply I suppose, I knew that him and Lilly were fairly close... Or maybe it was what he always told me to do, I should be paying attention to my surroundings at all times.
He began going up the ladder that he had pulled down, as he went up to the top, he lifted his hand for me to give him the lamp. I sat there for a few moments, not even realizing what was going on, but he coughed to get my attention and I handed the lamp up to him.
He lifted it above him, and then looked around for quite a few seconds. Then he shook his head and then lowered the lamp down to me. I looked at him for a few moments, I had never been in the attic before, I was fairly interested in what Lilly possibly stored up there, but now was not the time for me to be going up there.
"Was there anything up there?" I asked him. He got down from the ladder, and then he put it back up to the ceiling, he then turned his head towards me and shook his head at me. He then began to laugh for some reason, it confused me quite a bit.
"No... Nothing up there..." He said to me. I looked at him, a bit confused as to why he was laughing, in which he noticed me with a bit of a confused look and he nodded to me. "I'm going crazy kid, I don't know what the hell is going on."
I looked at him for a few moments, I understood why he felt like that, and I did not blame him for it. I almost wanted to laugh with him, but I knew that now was not a good time to be messing around like that. I then looked at the ground for a few moments.
We sat there in silence, neither one of us saying a thing to each other but eventually I lifted my head up, and I decided that it was my turn to be the first one to talk this time. He was just staring at the ground much like me, but I was tired of wasting time now, I just wanted to get this over with...
I knew that we were not going to find my brother, the best possibilty out of this scenario that was running through my head right now, was that there was no one with us in the house. No matter what, I was sure that they had taken Liam, Liam was probably at the daycare like the rest of the kids...
I had a feeling that someone was hiding in the other room however, and that was the only thing that scared me. I shivered, and then I nodded to Christian, it was time for us to keep going, I couldn't bare just sitting in this closet anymore.
"Let's go Christian, I just want to get this over with, and then I want to get some sleep." I said to him. He kept on staring st the ground, as if he had not heard a word that had just come out of my mouth, but eventually he lifted his head back up and he nodded back at me.
"Alright kid... Let's get it done..." He said. He usually said that when we were on a mission, but he said that with a little bit of a smile on his face, this time that was not coming out of him one bit. I just nodded to him, trying not to think too deep on it, I just wanted to get this over with now.
He then began taking the lead out of the closet, I nodded thankfully to myself, as we began to head out of Lilly's bedroom. I then looked around at the hallway, half expecting a dead to pop out on us at any moment, but the only dead that was in this hallway, was the dead body of Lilly's...
She was already one of the dead when she had been killed, whoever had killed her was only trying to save their own life... I was just wondering who could possibly have been in her house looking to see if she was okay, I knew that she did not have any friends...
I shook my head, as we then began to walk over to the bathroom, this bathroom had a toilet, and a shower with it. This was normally where Lilly would take her showers... Christian then opened the door, I once again half expected a dead to pop out on us.
But that was not the case once again, Christian then looked around, and he opened the shower curtain as well. I expected there to be a dead body in the bathtub for some reason, I shook my head trying to clear out all of those thoughts from out of it.
Christian then looked around a few more times, just in case for some reason that one of the dead might just randomly pop out of the mirror or something. Once he thought it to be safe, he then walked past me back out into the hallway.
He sat there for a few moments, as I walked out of the bathroom, I closed the door behind me, as I normally did to respect the rules of Lilly. I shook my head trying not to think about her anymore, as I just sat there standing still with Christian.
I looked around to see what it was that he was looking at, but all I saw was him just staring at the wall. I looked at it to see if there was something on it, but I did not see anything, I was a bit confused what he was doing.
"The basement is over there Christian." I said to him, pointing past the kitchen, the place where I was going to be going until I was worried about something that he had said. I wish that I had already done that, I wanted to get this over with as soon as possible.
He seemed to pay no attention to what I had just said. I then waved my hand in front of his face to get him to bring his mind back to what we were doing in the first place.
"Sorry kid... Just thinking..." He said to me. I looked at him a slight bit confused, wasn't that kind of hypocritical what he had always told me about. I shook my head, I felt like I should make it known as well...
"You told me not to do that..." I said to him. He turned his head towards me for a few moments. And then he nodded to me, I rolled my eyes at him, and then he looked back down at the wall... I just wanted to get out of here now...
"Yes I did... You are right... Let's go in..."