Chapter 12: Ill be back soon...

We sat there, in dead silence... Not being able to say a word to each other. I felt sick, seeing what was laying in front of me. These people really were evil, Tony did not even tell me that they were this bad. It was beginning to make me think that Shannon might be right.
I felt like I was about to vomit, I was nearly about to put my bag of groceries on the road, wanting to lay down and pray to god that these people would get what they deserved. It disgusted me, I wanted to look away, but I could not help but keep my eyes stuck on it for some reason.
I then heard loud footsteps from behind me, and I turned around just on time to see that it was one of the dead. He was sneaking up on us, I pulled out my knife quickly and I stabbed into the skull of the dead. It fell to the ground limply as I delivered the killing blow.
I pulled my knife out, it was a bit hard, I had not stabbed it in the correct spot like Christian had always taught me to do. It was not really on my mind right now. I could not think to do things normal, I was too busy thinking about what was standing in front of us.
Chester looked sick as well, I could tell that he had never seen anything this bad before. In fact, I don't think anyone had seen anything quite like this. I looked at all the bodies, that were hanging from the trees. I saw the scar mark that for some reason the group really liked to use.
That was not even the worst part about it though, to me, that was almost like the friendly part of what they did. I did not understand how any human could do anything as evil as this was. I knew what I had to do, if it got me in a lot of trouble, or if it got me killed, it did not matter... I would kill them.
Whoever was the leader of this, he had made good people evil... People always say it is your own personal decision on how you live your life, and the choices that you make in it. But other people can easily push you in the wrong sort of direction, I knew that for a fact.
"Let's get out of here Chester, we shouldn't be near this." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments, and then he looked down at the ground. I knew why, one of the people hanging from the trees was one of Jordans old group of pals.
Chester stared down at the ground for a few moments, I looked around to make sure that we were safe. Luckily there were not as many dead as there were the few days before. So we were safe for now, but I really did not want to be stuck looking at the area that was around us.
"Should we not take them down, I don't think other people should have to see stuff like this... If there still are other people of course." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, I knew he was right. But I did not want to do this sort of job... There was no way I could do that.
I shook my head at him, he did not say anything about it to me. He just looked over at his old friend that was hanging from the tree. But that was the least worst thing that I could see in front of me. I wanted to look away, but I could not look away from the evil that these people had caused.
I looked at what was sitting there, it was a bunch of crosses... Almost as if they were mocking christianity. On those crosses, it was not like the day of Christ. The not of the crosses were pointed sharp, and they were made sharp for a reason.
I looked at the bodies that were stabbed into the edges of the crosses, they all had the scars on their eyes. I closed my eyes for a few moments. I realized then that Chester was looking at me for what to do next, it felt a bit strange to me that he was, but I suppose he was a warrior, he always did what the scavenger, or wanderer, or gatherer he was with was doing.
"I can't do that... I can't go near that, let's just get out of here, head back over to my place. Before it starts to get dark, I have to go find my brother." I said to him. He looked at me, not sure if he agreed with what I said or not, but he did not say anything about it luckily, he just nodded to me.
We kept on walking, me in the lead, which seemed a bit strange and a bit different to me, I was so used to following Christian at all times, it seemed weird for the opposite thing going on right now.
At this point, I was just trying to get my mind off of the dark, and evil thoughts that were going on in my brain right now. It was not just the thoughts of what the other group had done to those innocent people, I was also thinking about doing things such as that to those people.
I shook my head, they were still humans. It was something my mom had always told me about. She always said to me and my sister, even though a lot of people were evil, they were still humans just like us. I closed my eyes for a few moments and then kept on walking.
I heard the groaning of one of the dead from in front of me, and it got my attention back to what was going on around me. It was more of a helpful thing than something that was bad this time. It is like Christian told me, there is always good in the bad.
It was a few dead, maybe 4 or 5, they were trying to swarm up in a heard. I could tell... I was not going to allow that, but I did not have a choice too much really anyways. They had seen us already, and they were going to follow us no matter how far away we went around them.
Besides, it was like Shannon had been telling us, we were going to have to extinguish the dead from the community if we still wanted to community to exist. Might as well help out a little bit where I could, I was in good shape right now, since I had gotten good sleep last night.
I heard chester pull out his little kitchen knife. I put my hand up to let him know that I had this, unless I had some crazy sword, like a katana or something... There was no way we could take out all 5 of these dead with blades.
I pulled out my gun from out of my holster, but then I realized that I did not have my holster on me. I had forgotten that I had taken it off at Kim's place, I did not realize that I had not put it back on. I then moved back quite a bit and then I nodded to Chester.
"I left my gun back at someone elses place... We are going to have to do this with knives..." I said to him. He looked at me and then nodded, for some reason he had almost a bit of an excited look to be doing this. I shook my head, not thinking to deep on it.
Christian had told me, that some people liked hunting and killing the dead, they viewed it almost as a sport, I suppose that Chester was one of those people. He sure as hell was afraid of living people, that was one thing that I noticed for sure from him.
I began moving towards the closest one on the left, I noticed from the corner of my eye that luckily Chester was at least smart enough to move towards the opposite side from me. I nodded to myself, and then I pulled my blade out, that I luckily had not forgotten to take with me.
I stabbed it into the skull of the first one, perfectly thankfully, as I pulled it out quickly enough to take down the 2nd dead one. I then turned towards the 3rd, and last one, so long as Chester had taken out the other 2...
I could not tell because my mind was so focused on taking out the dead that was standing right in front of me. It ran at me a bit faster than any of the dead that I had ever ran into before... Which came as a bit of a surprise, so much so that I nearly slipped on the ground.
I luckily regained my balance, and then stabbed my knife into the skull of the dead. Not in the correct spot unfortunately, but it was close enough to it that it killed the dead. It was just a bit harder for me to pull it out.
After a few seconds of twisting and turning, I finally managed to pull it out, and then I turned around, hearing that one of the dead was right behind me. I spun around a but surprised, there was only supposed to be 5! Had Chester not taken down the other one?
I then heard Chester yelling, it did not sound like a yell of pain... Quite yet, at least, but I could tell that he was in trouble. My main priority was to protect myself first, at all cost... Then I would worry about Chester, I could not see him, do to the fact that the dead was right in front of my face now.
Luckily I was fast enough to realize that it was coming right at me, as I quickly stabbed it in the correct spot... The dead then fell limply to the ground. I looked at it for a few moments, but then I heard Chester yelling for help once again which brought me back to what was going on.
"Ben help! This damn knife broke! It's too strong for me! I can't hold it off much longer..." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, for some reason something dark was tempting me in my head to just let the dead tear him apart.
He had always been one of the bigger dicks out of Jordan's small group of friends. I shook my head, wondering why I was thinking those sort of thoughts. Every person's life was valuable, besides he had already apologized to me about what he had done to me a long time ago.
I ran over and stabbed the dead, in the perfect spot on the bad side of its skull. The dead fell off of Chester easily. Chester then nodded to me thanking me, and I lifted my hand down, to help lift him up from where he was stuck on the ground.
He looked up at me, and then he grabbed on, as I helped pull him from up on off of the ground. He nodded to me once again, and then he dropped the knife which was now basically useless and torn apart.
I saw the blood on his hands, it had clearly cut him... But I could tell he was trying to hide it because he was afraid that I might think that he had gotten bit by one of the dead. I just pretended like I had not even seen it. I then just sighed and stared down at the ground...
"There's too much shit just going on, I don't know how the community is going to come back from all of this." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments, and then he too stared down at the ground. He did not say a word to me about it.
I knew what was going on in his mind right now... He had left his little sister, she was probably not dead, unless she had gotten taken down by one of the dead before the other community had taken her. I closed my eyes, and I knew what the other community did to all of the kids...
Not just the girls, but even the young little boys to... Tony had told me all about it, it made me feel sick... But it also reminded me of the reason that I was out of a house right now... I needed to at least try and find my brother...
If my sister had really betrayed us, she would not let my brother get taken in to get raped... Surely right? I had so many questions right now, but I could not find any answers to those questions right now. Besides, we had bigger problems to worry about, than those questions.
I just had to go and at least try to see if I could find my brother. I knew that if he was with Lilly, they would both be okay. I knew that Lilly would lock the doors the first moment that she had heard the gunshots... They would be safe.
Surely he had to be right? If Angela had just left the community recently, and been taken in by the other group... Then that meant that he should be at Lilly's, right? He could also be at our place, scared out of his right mind.
I had not even taken that into equation, Angela might not have ever left in the first place. That could also be a way that Shannon could be completely wrong as well. My hopes were starting to go up, as I smiled to myself... I then heard Chester talking.
"Let's just go back to your place... Where's it at? I don't want to be out here any longer..." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, my brain was still thinking on another subject, but once I realized what he had just said to me, I nodded to him.
"Good thinking, we are less than 5 minutes away..." I said to him. He looked at me for a few more moments, and then he nodded back to me. He then waited for me to take the lead, which still seemed a bit strange for me to even be doing that in the first place.
But to be fair, he did not know where my house was at... We always went to Jordan's house, when we wanted to hang out, they did want to come over to the community house back when my mother was still alive, and she was the leader.
But my mother got a bit upset when I let them over, because they did leave a bit off a mess... The house was where we lived at, but it also was where a lot of the important people did tend to meet up at, and do meeting and many other things.
But they really just loved the fact that they were in a mansion. I remember hearing about one from my sister when she was in middle school. It was somewhere near us I believe, but I was not all to sure. My sister wanted to go on one for a school trip.
Those were about the only memories I had with my father... I do not remember when this whole virus thing had all gone down really... I do remember there being an attack at the fair, and us having to run out of there.
I closed my eyes for a few more moments, once again... And I just kept on walking, trying not to think about all of those memories... They were gone now, it may seem cold, but it was truth, and I had to face that fact at some point. I couldn't stop living like I was in the past, I had to think about the now and later.
I wish none of this had never happened, sure... I could be living a normal life, I would be a freshman in high school right now... But things did not turn out that way... It was another thing that Christian had told me, I had to work with what I had.
He was right, it had happened, and there was nothing I could have done about it. But now there is something I can do... And finding my brother was something that I most definitely had to do, he could be somewhere so scared right now.
I realized that we were right up on my house now. I turned towards it, Chester looked at me a little bit confused. I was confused at what it was that he was confused for. But I just walked up the front door, before I had the time to ask what it was.
It did not seem to matter, he began to tell me what it was anyways in the first place. I turned my head towards him, also noticing that there were hardly any dead in the streets... Aidan and Christian had done a damn good job of of shutting down the walls.
"This is where you live? How? Your mother used to be leader, and your sister is a big name in the community." He asked me. I looked at him, now understanding why he was a bit confused. I looked at the yard, remembering the days I had spent with Sasha back there.
I looked down at the ground for a few moments, thinking back on the fact that we used to live in a mansion. It all seemed so vague and distinct now, almost like it had never happened in the first place. Now hardly anyone even noticed who I was, that used to never be the case.
"My sister chose this place, she works in the yard a lot, just training herself to get better... Plus it is near a friends place, which is where I'm about to go, and she wanted a small place." I said to him. It was in part true, but Shannon told her to only choose a 3 bedroom place since there was only 3 of us...
She could have most definitely chose a bigger place than this though. My sister was right about some things, sometimes I did notice that Shannon did not like my sister... Even if she said otherwise. I knew for a fact that she definitely hated my sister now however.
Chester did not say anything back to me this time, so I walked up to the door, and then I tried to open it. Unfortunately it was locked, I was not sure if that was because my sister had done it because she always did that when she left the place alone, or if she did it because she heard the attack.
Either way, I knocked on the door, Chester looked at me a bit confused. I did not blame him, but I really was just trying to see if my brother was in the house in the first place. I knocked on it a little bit harder this time, but it seemed to do not much luck.
"What are you doing? I thought there was no one there..." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, I could tell he was a bit confused, he was probably thinking that I was the stupid one now. I just blinked a few times as if I did not hear what he had said.
Then I knocked on the door once again. He looked at me a bit upset that I did not answer his question, which I did not blame him for. My mind was truly just in another place right now, I could not think properly.
"Well... He could be here, he is probably not, but there is about a 10% chance that he is..." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments, and then he began rubbing his chin. I knew he was not very good at math, neither was I, but he was most definitely one of the worst... "1 out of 10..."
I said that to him. Then he nodded to me, now understanding what I had meant. He then looked down at the ground, as I kept on knocking... My hopes were beginning to get more and more slim by the moment.
I closed my eyes for a few moments, I was now beginning to grow a little more afraid by the minute. I then began to grab the key that I luckily had thought to bring with me from my pocket. I then began to unlock the door to the place.
I opened the door, and then I dared not go in for a few moments. Half expecting one of the dead to be sitting in there, like there often was when I went into a house nowadays. Either that, or for some reason my sister was standing at the front door, holding a gun, getting ready to shoot me the moment I walked in.
"Liam! Are you in there?" I halfway yelled to the inside, but not too loud to where all of the dead outside of the place could hear me. I probably should have done that at first to be honest, rather than knocking at the door over and over again.
If he was here, I am sure that Angela would tell him not to let anyone in if they even dared knock on the door. But after a few moments of no response, my hopes began to drop down to a new low. I knew he would have recognized my voice for sure.
I turned around to look outside the streets, and make sure none of the dead were coming after us. Then a gently walked through the front door, half expecting to get shot the moment that I did. But there was no response to anything in there, all of the lights were off as well.
Chester walked in behind me, and then he closed the door. I heard him lock it as well, which I was a bit confused as to why he would do that, but I suppose that he might still be afraid that the other group would come back in and attack us again.
I walked over to the hallway, and I noticed that all the doors to the rooms were all open, clearly no one was in the house... If my brother was hiding in here somewhere, he would have hid in one of the rooms and locked the door.
I looked down at the ground a bit disappointed, I had really hoped that he would be there, now there was only one other place that he could possibly be at, besides somewhere in the other community... Which I would rather him be dead than be there getting raped.
I shivered, and then I went, and I sat down at the couch. There was a book sitting down at the table... I picked it up and then read the back cover of the story... I looked at it, it was book 2 of the dragon wars series, a book that I had never read.
I was surprised to see my brother reading such big books already, that book was nearly 1000 pages if not more, that surely had to be my sister right? I heard Chester walk over to me and sit beside me on the couch, he did not say anything to me at all.
We sat there in silence for a few more moments, neither of us daring to say a single word to the other, we did not have much to say... I knew what was going on in Chester's brain right now, and there was nothing that I could say that would make him feel any better.
I looked out the window for a few moments, noticing that the sun was beginning to set down in the sky... If I did not leave my house soon, it would be another day that I would not be able to see if I could find my brother, and I am sure that Christian was beginning to get a fair bit worried.
I got up from the couch, and then I looked over at Chester. He knew why I was getting up, he knew what I had told him about earlier, he was at least smart enough to realize that...
"I've got to go find my brother... I'll be back soon..."