Chapter 7: Saved Me

I ran after her, I still had feelings for her, deep inside. Even though it hurt me that she had put me down on the deep end. I could not just leave a member of our community to die either. It was like Christian had told me, hold the life of others around you as your own.
I saw her, she was sitting on the back porch of the house that was right beside the daycare. Sasha... Sitting on the ground, clearly out of bullets on her gun, but at least she had done what I had taught her, I saw many of the dead laying on the ground in the yard.
But that was the least of my worries at the moment, right now, my main priority, was to save her. I pushed through a few of the dead that were in the way, Sasha was doing her best to try to kick them off of her.
She noticed me, but she did not say anything about it. I did not know if it was because she was still trying to ignore me, or because she had bigger problems to worry about right now. I shook my head, running over to come and help her. There were so many dead in the path, and only more to come now that every dead in the community had heard those shots.
I looked at Sasha and took a shot at the dead that was trying to grab onto her foot, and then I got on the back porch with her. Both of us, standing side by side, just like I had dreamed off. Fighting off a large heard of the dead.
Although, I did not dream about the scenario, turning out the way that it was right now. In all honesty, I did not see a way out of this, my gun only had 9 bullets left in it, and 2 other casings which would take a fair amount of time to load.
And time was something we did not have on our hands right now sadly. I kicked off the dead with Sasha, it did not kill them, but it pushed them off, giving us a fair amount of time. There was only one way in, but eventually we would get tired, and run out of energy.
Just when I thought, that there was only 1 way in. The dead tore off a part of the sides of the back porch. And then they began tearing it up even more and more, we did not have much time. I looked over at Sasha and I nodded my head to her.
I wondered how she had gotten us into this predicament in the first place, but that was the last of my worries right now. I did not know what to say to her in the exact instance. But I just nodded to her, I could tell that she felt a bit bad about something, I could not tell if it was because she had gotten both of us potentially killed or not.
She was the first one to break the silence in the exact situation that we were in. I looked at her for a few seconds, then realized that they were breaking through the sides, more and more and more were coming up the front steps. As I began kicking them back.
"I'm sorry Ben, I got both of us killed, it shouldn't be you... It should just be me..." She said to me. I looked at her a bit confused and a bit surprised at the same time. But then I kept on kicking the dead back, not having enough to even catch my breath and say anything back to her.
We did not have much time, not only was I getting worn out, the dead were tearing themselves open trying to get through the sides as well, and there were only so many places that we could protect ourselves, much less have enough energy to keep on kicking.
"We aren't dead yet... Don't count your chickens before they hatch." I said to her. She looked at me dead in my eyes and then she nodded to me. I looked back at her and nodded back at her as well. I hoped that she would have said something to me about all of what had been going on between me and her lately, but it probably was the last thing on her mind.
I looked at the window right beside the window, I don't know why I had not thought of this before, but I could just shoot through it, and we could hop into the place from there. Obviously the dead would be able to get in as well after us, but we could lock ourselves in a room somewhere to buy as some time.
"You hold them off, for now, Im going to break through that glass." I said to her. I then walked past her and aimed my gun at the window, Sasha began talking, trying to stop me from shooting at the window, but I already noticed the bullet in the window when i got close to it.
Sasha telling me not to, was only another thing. I could tell that the glass was made to be bullet proof. Shit, why would someone need that? Did they not think about someone potentially needing to break through and get inside? I shook my head and looked back over as the dead were beginning to pull themselves up onto the porch.
"It's bullet proof Ben... We are stuck... Like I said, I got both of us killed... I'm sorry Ben... For everything, I just... I just don't know what else to say." She said to me. Me and her both knew the point that she was trying to get across to me. I knew that something was wrong with what she had did, I never did blame her for it.
I went up to her, and then I kissed her. She did not fight back, proving even more to me that she had regretted the decision she had made to stop talking to me." She began blushing. And then she turned around, and kicked down the dead. It made me feel good, if we were going to die, at least we would go out together.
"It is okay Sasha... If we go down right now, it will be together, just like I had promised." I said to her. She turned back around, with a big smile on her face, not even caring about the situation that we were in and nodded to me.
Then I heard them... Gunshots, right next to us. It did not seem like we were the only ones fighting off the heard. Clearly they were not the gunshots of Christians, Christian always had a silencer on his rifle. I then heard them drawing closer and closer to us.
The dead that were right in front of us, turned around and began chasing after the gunshots that were right near them. I then saw the dead, falling to the ground in the middle of the yard... Someone had come to save us, they must have heard Sasha's gunshots from not too long ago.
I looked around the corner, as 2 people were inching closer and closer to us, I could not tell who they were exactly but I could tell that they were not bad people. The bad people had already left, like Sasha had told us... But they would be back some time soon. Just not right now.
I saw them getting closer, there was a way out. I looked over at Sasha, I could see that she was scared, but at the same time, I could tell that she had hope, hope that there was going to be some way out of this. I looked at her and then nodded.
I began shooting the dead that were sneaking up on the 2, the lady at the front looked at me and then nodded to me, with a bit of a smile on her face at the same time, as if she was enjoying taking down the huge heard of the dead. Which would not surprise me, I knew that some people came out of the walls because they felt like it was fun to take down the dead.
I noticed another guy, I had seen him the day that I had ended up having Christian come and tell Shannon that he was going to mentor me, and I had seen him a few other times before, but I was not sure who he was... He definitely was a big guy, that was for sure.
The were closer than ever, and once they had taken down the last of the dead that I could see, the turned around and shot a couple more down, the lady then began reloading her gun, I remembered her name, her name was Kim... She was the one we had met the day that Jordan had saved us from a heard.
"Lets get the hell out of here! Before more start coming." The guy said to us. I looked at him and then nodded, I then turned my head over to Sasha, she was thinking in a whole different ballpark right now, but when she saw me looking at her she nodded as well.
And then we hopped off of the back porch and followed them out of the small little house that we were in, surprisingly Sasha stepped up this time,  she was not one to ever do that so it came as a bit of a surprise to me. I looked at her to hear what it was that she was trying to say to us.
"The front door is unlocked... We can hide in there." She said to the guy. The guy looked at her for a few moments, and then he shook his head at her as if she was a bit stupid. I looked at him a bit confused as to why he was putting that off.
It seemed like the smartest and safest play, based off of the situation that we were in right now. I did not want to go out in the streets now that there was a bunch of the dead coming our way right now. The guy then began talking and I focused in to hear what it was that he had to say.
"Lady... If we stay here, the dead will be knocking on our doorsteps, we need to get the hell out of here and find somewhere to hide. Your friend looks like he is about to pass out, leave this job to the people that actually know what we are doing." He said to her. I looked at Sasha, she had her head to the ground.
She was probably thinking that she sounded a bit stupid, and I knew that she was feeling worthless at the same time. I grabbed onto her shoulder and began whispering to her so that the other 2 that were with us did not hear.
"I thought the same thing, don't worry... They are right though, we cant stay here, the dead will come after us and we will have no way out." I said to her. She looked at me for a few moments, and then she looked down at the ground and then nodded. She obviously was not getting the point across that I was trying to make.
She was not the only one that sounded stupid right now. I was new to this, and she had not even begun her training, which I hoped she was still up for, I still had this feeling in my mind that she was just lying this whole time just to seduce me, like it was a game.
But I shook my head and then we began jogging off the other direction that I had came from, away from the community house. I followed them anyways, they knew better than me, they knew what they were doing they had been out here way long than me, I just had to remember that.
I then looked over at Sasha, as she began talking to me a bit quietly, so that the others that were with us could not hear what she was saying under to me.
"I'm sorry for all of this Ben... I am in love with you. And you... Not only today. You saved me..."