1. Childhood & Naive

Mahrukh age : 4
Zain age : 11

The noises of cheering and hooting polluted the air of the huge haveli (mansion). The gentle, harmless breeze carried their chirping voices to all corners of the house. The sun was shining bright and the air smelt of rain. Just moments ago it had been raining very hard and all the children of the household had rushed outside to shower in it. The rain was perhaps waiting for the kids to step foot out of their living room in order to stop. And that is what happend. As soon as their little feet ran into the rain it stopped much to their disappointment. However, Zain, a boy of eleven years old with raven hair and a sweet smile let his eyes shine with mischief before taking the huge pipe of water in his hand and covering all in water.

The huge house belonged to the Butt's. It was in the richest part of Islamabad. A mere two minute drive away from the infamous Blue area. The house had been built when Sahir Sahab (Mr. Sahir) had been just 12 years old. The mighty walls even when he had turned seventy stood ever so strong. The pale yellow walls on the outside with white accents and tall turquoise windows. The wooden doors led into a entryway that consisted of huge marble staircases with black railings. In the centre of the double staircase was a round table that was almost always covered with white roses.

To the left of the stair case was the living room or as the family referred to it the baithak (living room). The windows in this room were all bay windows with cream cushions thrown on top. There were also a few sofas to provide accommodation for the large family.

To the right of the stair case was an archway inspire from mughal architecture that led into the dining room. In the centre of which was a long rectangular table made of oakwood and one smaller round table made of the same wood.

Both these rooms had high ceilings and light green highlights on the walls. The rooms had huge glass chandeliers that were lit up at night and in the day reflected the light in the form of a rainbow that always had tiny little Mahrukh giddy with happiness.

Mahrukh was a small girl of four. Shr found happiness in the tiniest of things. Her grey eyes always filled to the brim with joy. The young child loved to stroll around their large courtyard that had small fountains. No one in her family was of her age so she found solace in the arms of her large teddy that was almost her size and had been named Bruno. Zain always smiled at the naive child as he would see her drag him around the house.

Zain was eleven and a serious child. He was the closest to his twin brother Akbar who was the same age as he was. Their friendship was deep and the two loved to share secrets.

The moon was shining bright in the hot summer night. The rain earlier had made the air humid making it uncomfortable to do anything. Mahrukh was sitting inside her parents room at night. Saying whatever came into her mind. They were the only other people she talked to other than Bruno.

Her parents, Saad and Shifa, smiled at their naive daughters. They had been blessed with her after many difficulties. Hence why they treasured her.

Mahrukh's mother was coughing constantly yet the father - daughter paid not much thought as Shifa had an auto immune disease as well as bronchitis and so her raging coughs were not alarming to the four year old. However, when Mahrukh saw the splatters of blood on the linen sheets she began to cry and shout
" Baba blood", Saad had also seen it and grabbed the nearest shawl before wrapping it around Shifa and dragging her out of the room. Ordering Mahrukh to rush to her elder Tayimama's room.

Mahrukh breathless ran into the room of the couple without even knocking. And began to shout in a loud voice
"Blood. Mama blood" Her tayaabu and tayimama were shocked to see a flustered Mahrukh and ran to her. Seeing her frazzled state they chose not to question her but instead took her into their arms and went to the living room. Mahrukh was a blubbering mess and tears flew down her rosy cheeks with no refrain. It was with much difficulty that she had been put to sleep.

○~○

The next day, as soon as Mahrukh opened her eye lids she rushed to her mother. But their room was empty. Knowing her cousins must be having breakfast she ran to the living room. By the time she reached she was unable to ask her question as the tiny girl was breathless due to all the running.

Hooriya sighed looking at her. She did not like the child one bit. But what could she do? The girl got on her nerves. There was not one second that the kid did not disturb her and try as she might the child would not budge and remained steadfast in asking tiny, useless questions.

"Your mama is fine. She just needs a surgery and will come home in a few days. Now go to your room and do not disturb me or your younger tayimama we have work to do."

Mahrukh nodded at the words of her aunt and walked to the courtyard. No one had even offered her breafast. Her stomach rumbled and she cried silently for her mother and father to come home.

Zain had noticed his aunts behaviour and sighed before making a plate full of muffins, Mahrukh's favourite and took them to her.
"Here you go Mahrukh. Muffins. Eat them and then go see dada jaan". (Grandfather).

Mahrukh ate her breakfast messily dropping crumbs everywhere that Zain brushed away. He kissed the top of her head before grabbing his bag and heading to school.

She ran as fast as her tiny feet could carry her to her Dada jaan's room. She kissed the man on his frail hand and then continued to peck his cheeks until he woke up.

"Are meri gudiya aaj suba suba uth gai?"
(Oh! My doll woke up early in the morning).
Mahrukh nodded her head fastly which caused her hair to fall on her face. Her grandfather ran a hand on her head with shafqat (love) and picked her up. Cuddling her into his chest the duo fell asleep.

○~○

In the evening all the children were playing in the courtyard. Kingstop. A game that was popular amongst the young ones. The heat did not bother them as they continued to play and wipe their sweat off of their faces.

Mahrukh had tried to join her elder cousins but her cousins Laraib,and Amal had stopped her. The pushed her. Mahrukh fell to the ground and no one came to save her. Bruno, the giant teddy cushioned her fall. Oh! Bruno once again proved to be her hero. Kissing Bruno on the cheek she held him and walked to the other side of the yard.

She sat alone on the ground and saw Aliya her younger tayimama serve everyone chilled tang. Mahrukh thought she was forgotten but when she saw a glass in front of her the smile grew. She looked up to see her younger tayaabu Akram. He stood with his wife and smiled
"Mahrukh have this tang and then go and see your mother. She is home."

The chilled drank Tang without caring that it was dripping all over her dress. She skipped with joy to her mother's room.
"Mama aap kahan thi?"
(Mama where were you?)
Her mother smiled softly before saying "Nowhere my child. Just went to the doctor. Now I am back and am not going anywhere"

Mahrukh a naive child nodded her head and lay her head on her mother's bosom. The warmth and smell of her mother lulled her to sleep.

○~○