3. Adulthood & Love

Mahrukh age : 21
Zain age : 28

In the early morning at around 7 am the sun began to shine on the horizon. Rays of it began to scatter in rooms from under the curtains that were yet to be pushed aside. Houses in Islamabad began to move as the women woke up early to prepare the days feast. The chilly January morning was breathtaking. Heavy mist covered the outside world making it difficult to spot cars. In the area where the Butt Haveli was placed, the road was still silent as the rich would wake up late.

Inside the Haveli all women were busy working in the kicthen, except for Shifa. She was still inside her room and had just gotten out of the shower. Wrapping her dark brown pashmina shawl around herself, she headed to the room next door. Mahrukh's room. Closing the door silently so that Saad would not wake up. He had worked untill 3 am in the morning. His business was slow and eventhough he made profits they were not as big as conpared to the profits that his brothers made. Which was understandable seeing as their company had far more time than his to make clients and establish his reputation.

Shifa knew Saad felt upset when he saw Mahrukh wishing for something that was so attainable for her cousins. He also felt pride when she would not cry for it like her cousins instead she would put a smile up in her face and never ask her father. While her cousins would shop from designer shops like Zainab Chotani, Maria B and Nomi Ansari. She would buy outfits from common brands like Khaddi on sale mostly she would head to G-10 Markaz. 

Shifa entered the room of her twenty-one year old, who was sleeping with her face under the duvet. All her papers were sprawled on the desk giving proof of her hardwork. She was a student at NUST and was studying fine arts. There were sketches of the sky the moon and her parents framed on the walls. Shifa moved the curtains aside and let the sun fall in. The bright rays mixed with the heavy fog casted a magical blanket in the room. She then proceeded to run her hands through Mahrukh's hair
"Mahrukh jaan. Wake up. You'll get late for your exam. Come on wake up. Your Baba will drop you"
Mahrukh shifted and sat up. Placing her head on her mother's sholder she sat still feeling her mothers warmth and her hands in her hair for a few minutes before running into the washroom.

Ten minutes later she ran out of the washroom and quickly ran her brush through her hair. Tying it in a ponytail she wore her shoes and ran out. Today she had opted for a huge white sweatshirt that she had stolen from Akbar and black tights. On top of which she wore her winter coat and white sneakers.

Mahrukh had grown up to be immensely gorgeous. With raven hair that had turned choclate coloured as she grew up. Her skin pale and white. Smooth like satin. Her hair fell to the middle of her back. She stood at 5ft and 5inches tall. With a hourglass figure and curves at all the right places, she surely was a beauty to die for.

Whilst she ran out of the room to help her mom prepare breakfast she crashed into a body. Two strong muscular arms wrapped themselves around her before stabling her.
"Dekh kar chala karo",
(Watch where you are going)
spoke a husky voice. It was none other than Zain.

He had grown tall 6ft and 1inches. With a toned body and raven hair. That looked like silk threads. His lightly tanned complexion and beard made him a sight for sore eyes. He was wearing black slacks with a black button up formal shirt and sleeves rolled up to his elbows showing of his veins.

"Ji-ji bhai,"
(Okay brother)
Mahrukh replied shyly with a dusky blush covering her cheeks. She ran away not waiting for his reply. Zain stood there for a few minutes reminiscing the time when his lady love stood in his arms.

Zain was in last year of his MBA when he first recognised his feelings. Mahrukh had come home with fractured arm and he had felt air being sucked out of his body. Her shy and kind nature drew him in. And the thing that did it for him was her simplicity. Although he was a serious man and rarely ever smiled whenever he saw the young girl all his mind could do was shout hayee (internal squealing). The girl left him Zain Butt flustered.

Mahrukh ran into the kicthen breathless she ran to Aliya mama and hugged her.
"Beta are you okay?"
(Child)
Aliya asked worried only letting her worry die down when she nodded her head in affirmative.

"Mahrukh beta aaj nashta nahi karna?",
(Mahrukh don't you want to do breakfast today?)
her mother asked. Mahrukh huffed and sarcastically replied something to her before cracking four eggs open and making omelette for her parents. Taking their breakfast on the table, she grabbed two chocolate muffins for herself and sat on a chair. Her mother sat next to her and fed her forkfuls of it.  The habit of being fed by her mother had still not died.

"This is Mahrukh's last semester. Let her do her work herself. Or else how will she survive in her in laws house?" Zainab asked more like provoked Saad and Shifa. Instead it was her father who gave her a stern reply
"We will find someone for her who will do her jobs for her. And remember a successful marriage doesn't happen just because you know how to do your jobs. As far as I know if this was the case you would not be in my home"
"ABBU"
"SILENCE ZAINAB. YOU HAVE HURT THE CHILD FOR SO LONG WITH YOUR WORDS. ONE MORE AND YOU WILL BE OUT OF HERE."

Saad grabbed his fathers hand and let him know that all was okay and he should calm down. Seeing the tension Akbar lightened the mood by saying
"Mahrukh meri shirt mein kitni khubsurat lag rahi hai meri behn. Come I will drop you"
(Mahrukh you look so pretty in my shirt)
Akbar dropped her off just for a glimpse of Amna.

Mahrukh knew about Akbar's reason. She may have been innocent and naive but she wasn't blind. She had already asked her Aliya mama about how she felt about Amna and infact Aliya and Shifa were going to Amna's place this evening to confirm the union. Whilst Akbar remained oblivious. 

○~○

At the dinner table there was an array of meats. Everyone was stuffed to the brim but upon seeing Mahrukh bring her infamous chocolate cake their stomachs rumbled.
"This cake is in the honour of my brother  Akbar. Akbar bhai is getting married to my best friend Amna."
Mahrukh winked at Akbar who leapt across the room and twirled her in his arms chattering like a broken record
"Thank you! Thank you!"

Hooriya could not withstand seeing the happiness and not have her children be the centre of attention decided to butt in.
"Since Akbar is getting married we have also  decided to marry Faheel. Faheel is marrying our Amal"
Just like that everyone became happier except for Shifa and Saad.

○~○

"Saad two marriages in the family. Your business is nowhere near your family. How will Mahrukh match the grandness of everyone? What ever gift we give the newly wedded couples it will fall short."
Seeing his wife worried Saad caressed her shoulders and replied
"Have faith in Allah. InshAllah our daughter will not feel inferior. She will be happy. And its not the grandeur of the gifts that matters it is the sentiment. Now have your tablets or else I will have your daughter feed them to you."

○~○