27. Birthdays & Problems

The spring night was peaceful and serene. The pleasant and aromatic smells of the flowers that bloomed and crowded the garden outside was a wonderful sight. The trees that continued to move lightly and the rustling of their leaves made for the best background noise. The moon illuminated the night sky, casting the most thin veil over the sleeping beauty. Along with the moon, the stars continued to burn bright, glimmering and shimmering seeing all that was happening in the moment. The moving trees' branches flirted with the balconies and windows of the rooms, with just a gentles of touch with their lovers.

The clock struck twelve. It was midnight. The day had changed. And it was like everyday, someone's birthday. That someone was Mahrukh. She was now twenty - three. She was deep in sleep clueless of the surprise her husband had planned for her. This was not only her first birthday after marriage, but also the first one after the death of her mother. As soon as the clock had ticked past twelve, Zain had exited the room. Only to return a few seconds later with a huge box inside his hands. Placing it on the bed, he got under the sheets and started to wake Mahrukh up with a soft voice.

"Mahrukh utho!"
(Mahrukh wake up)
Mahrukh who was deep into sleep huffed and moved around wishing to be left alone and in peace. But Zain had other plans. He began to litter little kisses along the length of her swan-like neck, occasionally biting a spot and sucking on it to leave a purplish bruise that everyone referred to as a 'love bite'. Finally having enough of the torture, she sat upright and glared at him with her beautiful eyes, that were clouded with sleep.
"What do you want?"
She asked with a furious tone.
"I'm sorry for waking you up jaan. But I wanted to be the first one to wish you a happy birthday".
Hearing his words, Mahrukh finally realised that it was her birthday. She broke into a huge grin and gave him a tight hug.
"Thank you Zain! But where is my gift?" Zain looked at her fondly and handed her the box that he had brought inside.

Mahrukh eagerly untied the red silken ribbon and lifted the lid. Inside the box was a cake. A beautiful pink coloured one. With golden edible glitter on it. The cake read "Happy Brithday Jaan". Mahrukh smiled at him.
"Thanks Zain. Now we should cut it", Zain nodded and forwarded the knife he had kept on the side table. Mahrukh cut into the cake to reveal the three vanilla layers each separated with an equal amount of frosting. Mahrukh fed Zain the first bite and he as usual returned the favour. Like that the two spent some time eating the cake after which Zain stored the leftover in the mini-fridge claiming that he could feed it to Akbar in the morning. Mahrukh kissed his cheek as a thank you. But still wondered in her heart that what her gift was.

The next morning Zain was up before his wife. He gently removed Mahrukh's head from his chest and placed it on the fluffy pillows. He then went downstairs and entered the kicthen. His mother and sister were already there, starting to prepare the breakfast.
"Arey Zain. Tum itni jaldi uth gai?"
(Oh Zain you woke up so early)
His mother asked.
"Yes mama. Aaj aap ki baho ki salgira hai. So I am making her breakfast in bed".
(Today is your daughter in law's birthday.)
Zain beamed at her. His mother smiled at the antics of her son and ran her hand over his face, eyes full of love
"Allah tum dono ko hamesha khush rakhay,"
(May Allah keep you both happy)
Zain kissed the inside of her palm and whispered an Ameen.

He went and took out a few eggs. Cracked them open into a bowl and added some chopped bell peppers. Adding salt and some spices, he whisked the eggs before pouring it into a hot, buttered pan. The eggs sizzeled as they cooked over the hot pan and immediately a delicous smell ran throughout the length of the room. He also prepared some waffles and cut up some fruit for her. He worked in the kicthen smoothly, occasionally asking for the help of his mother.

Laraib who had been seeing all this whilst she prepared breakfast for Fahad and Zainab felt envious. Her husband was not as affectionate as either of her brothers were with their wives. She regretted her decison of marrying Fahad. But there was little she could do. Aliya helped Mahrukh and Amna to make breakfast for everyone but Zainab ever since Fahad had gotten married had done nothing but sit on a sofa and give orders. Laraib could not talk to her mother for one Aliya was still mad at her and two Laraib's ego would not allow it.