14. Eid-ul-Fitr & Nikkah

The next morning, everyone woke up early. The sun had just risen. The warm glow graced the horizon casting as early morning golden hour. There was a gentle cool breeze flowing. The city was beginning to wake up in order to get ready for the Eid Prayer. The sky was like a big velvety blanket, the blue as brilliant as ever and mixed with the yellow hue of sunshine made it look even more magnificent. The air had a heavy feeling of happiness in it. The birds were extra chirpy as the flew in search of their daily meal.

The ground nearest to their house had been decorated with two giant pearl coloured tents. With a seperator in between. One side was for the women and the other for the men to pray Eid namaz (prayer) in. All streets leading to it had been lined with barriers to prevent cars from blocking and encouraging everyone to walk. The place was heavily guarded to prevent any incident from happening.

Inside the huge kitchens, women were beginning to light up their stoves in order to make something sweet for their families. That is exactly what Aliya and Shifa were doing. It was a tradition. Part of their culture. The duo was incharge of making kheer while Zainab and Hooriya prepared sawiyan (sweet vermicelli). Lastly Amal and Amna were preparing suji ka halwa (sweet dish). The house was full of sweet aromas. All of them worked peacefully. Aliya had forbid Shifa from waking Mahrukh up saying
"She is getting married tomorrow. Let her rest today".
Shifa nodded her head. Continuing to chat with her sister in law. As time passed and they were done, all of them headed out of the kicthen to their portions to wake up their families.

Shifa entered her room, seeing Saad and Mahrukh together brought tears to her eyes. Mahrukh like a little child had placed her head on her father's lap and he gently passed his hand through her hairs.
"Come begum sit with us,"
Saad called out to Mahrukh as he spoke. Shifa sat next to the two and spoke with tears in her eyes
"My daughter is so grown up. You are becoming someone's wife tomorrow," the sentence brought tears into her eyes as she remembered the times when Mahrukh was a helpless child who needed her mother for every chore. Saad too felt emotional as tears filled his eyes. Seeing her parents Mahrukh to sobbed lightly before speaking
"Why are you crying. Ruskhsati is not happening right now. Also I will still be in the same house. Stop being melodramatice and get ready".
Saying that as her final verdict, Mahrukh went to her room.

Meanwhile, Aliya entered Zain's bedroom and opened the curtains. As the soft sunlight touched his face her changed sides. Smiling at her son she sat near his head running her fingers through them. The soft touch woke Zain up. He grabbed his mother's hand and kissed the back of it.
"Subah bakhair,"
said Zain in a heavy voice, getting a silent reply from his mother he sat up a bit and rested his head on her shoulder. Aliya felt happy seeing him content and decided to talk to him about his Nikkah.
"Zain," spoke Aliya
"Hmm," came the lethargic reply.
"Tomorrow you will be married to Mahrukh. She is going to be your responsibility. You must learn to compromise. I don't want to hear any complaint about you from her. She is going to be the most important person in your life. Respect her. And love her". Zain seeing the emotions in her eyes tried to lighten the mood.
"Mahrukh is lucky. She will not have the typical saas bahu drama in her life,"
(Mother in law and daughter in law)
the cheeky grin on his face cused his mother to slap him on his face. Before he rushed into the washroom.

Mahrukh wore the outfit Zain had given her. It was an anarkali frock.  White with gold borders around the end of the frocks length and sleeves. On the chest was a teardrop shaped motif. The frock had some gota work on it aswell. Mahrukh applied a light foundation and a nude pink on her lips. Adding soft curls to her hair and wearing her bangels. She grabbed her duppata and headed out.