8. Vacations & Proposals

It was mid-March. The season was changing. The flowers were blooming. Pollen dominated the air. The light scents of the flowers wafted gently through the air. The sun's brightness once again saturated the skies. At 8 am on a bright Saturday morning, the Butt family was sitting in the dinning room. Mahrukh, who had been wandering the hallways like a ghost these past few weeks finally had a healthy glow to her cheeks. The warmth of the newly approaching season coupled with the fact that her semester had ended on Friday was doing wonders for her. Infact she was in such a happy mood that she had all alone prepared a huge array of breakfast food. Ranging from English breakfast to completely desi, drenched in oil halwa and puri. Everything was present on the table.

Mahrukh's grandfather, Sahir Sahab, knew from the way that Mahrukh was acting that she wanted something from them. So he asked her in an inquisitive tone
"Mahrukh your exams ended yesterday. I understand you are happy. Magar yeh nashta banane ki asal waja kia hai?"
(What is the actual reason behind making this breakfast?)

Mahrukh noticed the gleam in his eyes. The man clearly knew her well.
"Woh... I wanted to say that I have spring break..."
everyone looked at her, as if she had lost all senses. Sahir continued the conversation and replied
"Yes we all know that".
Mahrukh huffed. Why was no one getting her point.
"Han... tou I want to say that we should all go to Swat. I've never been there. Pleaseee".

Her grandfather chuckled at her impatient attitude and told her that if her parents agreed then they should go. No one was stopping them. Saad shook his head. His father had clearly not understood the meaning behind her words.

"Abaa jee what Mahrukh is trying to say is that she wants all of us to go" Mahrukh nodded her head fastly, after stopping she felt as if her brain was rotating inside the skull. And so it was agreed upon that the family with the exception of Sahir, who could not travel, would leave early morning tomorrow.

○~○

The next morning, the sun came out way to early much to the dismay of evrybody. Everybody except Mahrukh. She was bouncing off the walls with excitement. She had spent the majority of last night jotting down places they could visit. Her suitcase had been packed even before her family had agreed. She knew no one coul resist her charm.

The cars were fully loaded with suitcases. They had decided to fit into two land cruisers. One with all the elders and one with all the young ones. At first Akbar had been reluctant to go as he knew that Amna would make a problem. But Zain had made him understand that with everyone present in public places, no one would create a scene. Plus they all needed a break from their hectic lives.

They set out from their house at exactly 7 am. They had brought a big thermos of tea and egg sandwiches. The cousins all munched on them except for Zain who was driving. Akbar sat in the passenger seat. Mahrukh was sitting behind Zain, and was as usual being ignored by the rest. As the car drove on, and the pary ate and talked, Zain's stomach started to grumble. Mahrukh laughed at the noise as this was very unsual. It was funny to see a huge built man have a rumbling stomach.
"Akbar bhai why don't you feed Zain bhai with your hands?"
Mahrukh told Akbar. Akbar wanting to continue the scene replied
"Yea. I should until his mehbooba comes"
(Lover)
Akbar's reply had Zain blushing. He imagined Mahrukh and him sitting in the car alone going on a long drive, and being fed by her soft hands. Ahh what a day that would be. InshAllah that day would be soon.

2 and a half hour into the drive, Akbar and Zain decided to exchange their seats. Everyone was asleep and Akbar had already slept. So now Zain had decided to sleep. As the car continued to drive his head bumped into the side of the seat. Akbar tried his best to drive smoothly but the continuously curving road was a challenge.