6. Shaadi & Romance

The week of the wedding had finally arrived. After much anticipation and sighing of the brides and grooms, the most important days of their lives had finally come. The families were happy and content. The haveli was decorated like a new bride. Starting tonight the functions would begin and last untill the end of the week.

After a couple of hours the mayun ( event in marriage after which the bride and groom can not see each other) was being held. The furniture from the gigantic living room had been removed to place carpets all over the floor. The room was littered with cushions. The high ceilings had strings of yellow and orange flowers attached to them and fell all the way to the floor. The room had been divided into two with a thin veil. This was to prevent the groom from seeing his bride. Amna's mayun was being held at her own home and they would be taking the ubtan (turmeric powder mixed with rose water) her after Akbar's had been done.

Mahrukh opted for a pale yellow chiffon shirt with white embroidered sleeves and borders. Underneath she wore white trousers and had a yellow dupatta. Her hair had been put into a french braid by her father and in her wrists were gajray (bracelet made of flowers) that she had found on her vanity with note from Zain bhai. Thinking nothing of it but just brotherly love she accepted them. Her face was free of makeup and yet still it radiated a warm glowm she looked like a true fairy. When her younger tayimama had seen her she had warded of the nazar (evil eye)  by circulating money around her head and distributing it amongst the poor. Her younger tayaabu had kissed her forehead and spoke
"You look so beautiful MashAllah."

Aliya had talked to Akram about her idea. He was a bit hesitant at first. The two had a 7 year age difference but his wife could be pretty convincing when she wanted to. The two had decided to talk to Saad and Shifa after Mahrukh had completed her graduation.

○~○

Akbar and Faheel both sat together wearing white shalwar kameez (TraditionalPakistani menswear) . Their faces were filled with the yellow paste that had been applied. Their hair an oily mess. Akbar was not recognisable thanks to Mahrukh who had smeared almost half the bowl on his face. Everyone was laughing seeing the situation of Akbar. He looked no less than a clown. Mahrukh's face had a hint of sadness as her hand had almost reached Faheel's cheek before being pushed away by him. The anger in his eyes was not hidden from her.
"Don't touch my face."

Mahrukh had forgotten the incident almost immediately as she was getting the things ready for being taken to Amna's place. Amal's ceremony had already taken place and she too had gotten ready to go with everyone.

Amna's home was crowded with her family. The lights were bright and each and every corner of the room was illuminated with love. Mahrukh had greeted everyone and then headed to the bride to bring her. However, the poor girl had only made it to the staircase when she saw her friend coming down accompanied by Laraib and Amal. Mahrukh put a smile on her face, a fake one just for the sake of her mother.

As everyone began the rasam, Mahrukh sat in a little corner with her phone in her hand making videos for Akbar. She would surely ask him to pay a hefty price.
"Mahrukh beta come and quickly apply the ubtan and oil,"
her beloved tayi said.
Mahrukh without wasting a second ran to the little table that held tiny pots and grabbed a handful of ubtan before rubbing it all over Amna's face. Who did not seem to like this one bit and made a sour face. She slapped Mahrukh's hand as she tried to put oil in her hand and refused to eat the mithai.

Mahrukh was baffled by her behaviour but she chose to ignore it thinking that with her entering the family a little wall was bound to form anyways. Shifa walked forward to ward off any evil eye from Amna but was stopped by Zainab.
"Don't do it bhabhi. Your shadow will only put our Daughter-in-law at more risk,"
Aliya who heard this sentence felt a shiver run along her spine. She was furious.
"Zainab I would stop if I were you. You don't want me to tell your behaviour to your father do you?"