5. Shopping & Engagement

Amna had changed. Before the announcement of her marriage to Akbar, she would always roam around Mahrukh for company. Now all she did was ignore her. Everytime Mahrukh asked her to hangout she would come up with an excuse and she being ever so naive would believe it. However, her parents were understanding what had happened. Their daughter was being betrayed but the stayed silent as they wanted her to learn how the world works by her ownself. Everyday Mahrukh would go to the university and ask Amna about shopping and every day she would get a negative reply much to her despair.

Mahrukh was wearing a mint green kurti and trouser. With long and wide sleeves. The border had net attached to it. There were small leaves embroidered on it with a cream thread. She wore golden khusas and straightened her hair. Wearing small faux pearl earrings she grabbed her brown bag and headed out of her room.

"Mama lets go

"Mama lets go. We are late. Everyone has already left." Mahrukh uttered slightly out of breath as she dragged her mom out of the house. Today the entire family was going to buy the final things. Mahrukh had yet to still buy her outfit for the barat and so was eager to go.

At the mall, the cousins decided to split from their parents. They would enter different shops and check out a few dresses and leave empty handed. They were the Butt family. Obviously, they were going to be picky about their choices. As time went by everyone began to get things as they were all tired. Yet Mahrukh still had to get something. What could she do? The shops here were way to expensive.

Amal noticing Mahrukh's expression decided to make fun of her
"Oh Mahrukh! Don't worry we will go to a cheap place for you. I know you can't afford these expensive dresses"
everyone except for Akbar and Zain laughed. Faheel too decided to reply in arrogance
"Hmmm she will look the worst. Even the waiters and waitresses will be better dressed."
Maliha and Laraib chuckled at his remark and moved forward not seeing the tears they had left in her eyes.

Akbar noticing her distress spoke
"It is my wedding. I will buy my sister her dress. No one needs to bully her" Mahrukh smiled at his attempt to cheer her and spoke
"Akbar bhai there is no need of this,"
but she was shut up by him and dragged to a boutique. As soon as the two entered they both saw the same dress and fell in love and bought it. On their way back Mahrukh repeatedly thanked him and promised to make him her famous Hareesa (a dish famous in Pakistani cuisine that takes a long time to cook and master).

○~○

It was new years eve. The Butt household was buzzing with energy. After all today was the engagement. Zain had been up since 8 am and had been working on all the decorations. From having flowers brought in to decorate the staircase, placing fairy lights on the walls. He left no stone unturned. The house was shining bright like a bride. Now at 2 pm he had drained the last of his energy and sat on the dining table so that he could eat. His mother was preparing parathas (bread famous in South Asia) for him to be served with bitter gourd. The smell of it wafting in the room tingled his nostrils as he could already feel the flavour of them in his mouth resulting in him salivating.