26. Last Wedding

Eid Mubarak guysss. May Allah accept all our sacrifices and bless the ummah in abundance Ameen.

Mahrukh and Saad were more closer than ever. Their loss was something that they bonded over. They missed the woman that they had lost and saw a bit of her in each other. They were the source of support in each others life. But it would be a lie to say that they had no one else. Aliya and Zain had been the front runners. Along with the family business Zain had taken over the responsibility of Saad's business too so that he could fully recover from the loss. When Saad had said he felt ashamed of the fact that Zain was fulfilling his responsibilities as well, Zain had said
"Beta bhi kehtay hain. Kaam bhi nahin karany detay,"
(You call me son and the don't even let me help you do your work)
and had proceeded to go into a rant of how it was his duty to take care of them and that Saad should not rob him of his right.

Aliya had become the second mother for Mahrukh. Eventhough from the day Mahrukh was born the two shared a mother daughter bond, in the past one month it had only become stronger. Aliya was now her confidant. She would spend most of her day around her, feeling happy whenever Aliya would love her like her mother did. What brought her to tears was that Aliya would feed her every meal with her own hands, regardless of what Hooriya and Zainab had to say. And they had a lot to say.

Amna had become her sheild from the taunts that Laraib threw her way. It did not sit right with Laraib that Mahrukh had once again gotten all the attention despite the fact that her wedding was on head. Laraib's refusal to be civil with her sister in laws was the cause of worry for Aliya. Her hair had begun to turn grey faster from the salt and pepper hair that she had sported for the past few years. The ache in her heart left by the death of Shifa and the outright rebellion of Laraib shattered her heart.

Hooriya and Zainab were civil with Mahrukh for the last time on the day of Shifa's funeral. Ever since then, they had begun to treat her like filth. They would sneer at her and mock her at the loss of her mother as if it was something she could control. Everytime, Mahrukh would take two steps forward from the grief towards happiness, Hooriya and Zainab would do something so disgraceful that she would be forced to go back into the shell of silence she had built around her.

"Zainab try to undertsand. Only three weeks have passed since the death of Shifa. We must think of Saad and Mahrukh. They are suffering. Atleast wait a few more months".
Aliya tried to explain to Zainab the gravity of the situation. Over the past few days, Hooriya and Zainab had been mercilessly trying to force her into doing the marriage of Laraib and Fahad on the date set by them during Shifa's life time.

"Jis ko jana tha woh tou chala gaya. Ab hum apni khushiyon ko kyun roken?"
(The one who had to go left. Because of them why should we put our happiness on hold?)
Hooriya threw an insensitive remark.
"Hooriya stay out of this", Aliya said, on the brim of losing her patience.
"Why would she stay out of this? She is like a sister to me. This marriage will happen on the set date. Or will not happen at all!"
Zainab said with a tone as bitter as a bitter gourd. Aliya stared at the two dumbfounded but before she could speak, Laraib who had overheard the conversation decided to step in
"Mama let the marriage happen on the set date. If Mahrukh is that traumatised then she can just not attend my wedding".
Aliya was baffled at all these comments and walked out of there saying one sentence.
"If everything is decided do not expect me to take part in anything. I am not in favour of this marriage as it is".
Laraib in the happiness of her marriage did notice the tear that fell from her mother's eyes.

An emotional Aliya, entered Mahrukh and Zain's bedroom. Mahrukh, who had been feeling sick was sleeping, whilst Zain worked on his laptop. Seeing his mother cry, Zain walked to her and engulfed her in a hug.
"Mama what happened?"
Aliya who had been holding all emotions in, finally broke down.
"I have lost my best friend three weeks ago. My daughter wants to get married to a man next week. She will not listen to me saying to postpone the wedding. On top of that the man she is marrying, I do not approve off," she tried to clench her sobs so as to not wake up her beloved daughter in law, as Mahrukh had been having trouble sleeping since her mother died.
"Mama do not worry. Mahrukh is trying to move past this trauma and so is Saad chachu. If anything this wedding might just be what they nedd. And I agree with you, Fahad and Laraib do not make the perfect couple but as long as she is happy. What can we do?"
Aliya nodded and walked to Mahrukh's side of the bed.