𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑇𝑊𝐸𝑁𝑇𝑌 𝑆𝐼𝑋

CITRUS

"KEEP SMART, KID."

"Don't get into any trouble, I know." Loki laughed, pushing off Nicolas's hand from the top of her head. "Go, before the carriages leave without you and your mum sends me a howler. I'm going to say goodbye to Lily and Marlene."

"Okay, bye!" Nicolas brought his hand up swiftly and tousled her hair once more. "Oh! Don't forget to eat, too, if you're painting. I know how concentrated you can get sometimes."

Loki nodded. She beamed after him as he headed over to Lydia, interlocking their hands. Lydia sent Loki a wave before the couple headed onto the carriage.

Loki tore her eyes elsewhere, making her way to where Lily and Marlene were. She lingered for a moment, seeing Lily conversing with a dark-haired boy she hadn't seen before. By the way James and the boys were glowering at him from where they spoke, they didn't like him. Even Marlene struggled to hold back her scowl.

"Oh, Loki!" Marlene scampered to the girl as soon as they made eye contact. "Thank goodness! I really didn't want to be stuck over there with Snape whining about James. He's in love with Lily, but Lily can't see the obvious." Marlene sighed, toying with the end of her blonde braid.

"Oh, poor thing," Loki couldn't help but feel slightly empathetic for him. "Is that why James hates him?"

"Yeah, pretty much," Marlene shrugged. "I mean, there seems to be something else going on, but I have no idea what it is."

"James!" Both girls whipped their heads around, simultaneously with a dozen other students, to see Lily glaring at James as Snape marched off.

"We better head over." Marlene didn't give the girl any time to object before hauling her to the groups.

Actually, that's the opposite of what we should be doing, Loki thought. Walk away from them. No drama!

"Well, I'm sorry, Lily!" James huffed, lifting his arms in the air. "He's not exactly the greatest guy!"

"And neither are you!" Lily retorted. She groaned, turning to Marlene and beckoning the girl to accompany her. "Don't expect me to sit in the same train car as you, much less the same compartment."

"What did I walk into?" Loki muttered in confusion as Marlene and Lily headed off.

"James got jealous because Snape was hanging out with Lily, " Remus explained. He glanced down at the girl, smiling. "Guess you're staying here with us?"

"Yeah," Loki replied. "Dad's gone on a business trip. That was the letter I got." She gnawed her lip, recalling the contents.

"Then why's your brother heading out?" Loki turned to Sirius, then followed his gaze to see her brother climbing in a carriage.

"Um, he's probably gone to stay at his friend's. Or he'll stay with our Aunt," Loki shrugged, hastily turning away.

Remus's eyebrow raised as he gazed at the girl's brother. From where he stood, there appeared to be no resemblance. He shifted back to Loki, noticing her balled fists.

"Well, now you're here," James settled his arm on top of the girl's head. "You're going to keep these two out of trouble for me, right?" James queried, pointing towards Remus and Sirius. "I can't have them cleaning cauldrons when we've got to be planning pranks."

"James, you're the one who always gets us in detention," Remus snorted. "You and Sirius. Which means I should probably be staying away from him if you want that."