Chapter 18

Continuation of Flashback(4 years ago):

Sairah's POV:

We all stood there in disappointment, hurt and disgust.

How could Renee be dating Nathan? After everything she witnessed him do? After everything we told her? This must be some sick prank or joke. She can't-

"Yet she is." Nina had read my mind and had a sad look in her eyes.

"Should we confront her about it?" Amina asks biting her lip.

"No." I say flatly. "I- I don't want anymore drama than we already have."

"Why? She was probably out with him the night of your birthday." Nina snaps.

"We can't jump to conclus-" I start to say.

"Yea because Renee totally would rather do 'homework' than hang with her best friends." Nina scoffs. "I can't believe she would lie."

"Maybe she felt ashamed." Ahmed says genuinely. "She probably felt herself falling for him. Even is he is a complete d*ck." He shrugs. "Falling for someone is-- is a powerful feeling. You can't control it. It just happens." Ahmed locks eye contact with me and I feel myself grow hot under his fixed gaze.

I turn away facing Nina. "It's ok, let's just wait till she comes clean to us." I put a hand on Nina's shoulder.

"Girl I love you," Nina says holding my hand resting on her shoulder. "But, no. We need to find out now."

"She's right." Amina adds. "Wouldn't you rather ask her about it now rather than brainstorm all possible theories."

They had a point. I sigh then usher for them to lead the way. Ahmed, Yusuf and Marco tag along with us as we enter unchartered territory.

As we enter the 'football jocks circle' all their eyes fixate on us. Only Renee and Nathan don't notice us.

Marco clears his throat to alert Nathan who moves Renee off his lap to stand up. His smug smile already irks us all.

"Well well look who it is. My favorite peop-"

"Cut the bullsh*t" Ahmed massages his temples.

"I will once you tell me what brings you here?" Nathan raises an eyebrow.

"We're here cause we were bored and we wanted to kick your a** again." Yusuf nods solemnly.

"Yea I missed punching John over here." Marco wraps his arm around John, who rolls his eyes at Marco's statement and pushes his arm off of him.

Renee just fidgets with her jacket zipper avoiding our gaze.

"Renee, how-" I start to speak before Renee shushes me.

Renee rolled her eyes. "Nathan and I-- we've been seeing each other for a few months." She says blushing.

"Sorry what? I don't think I heard you correctly." I say in disbelief.

"It's true." Nathan says smirking as he walks over to Renee and snakes his arm around her waist.

"I think I'm gonna be sick." Amina mutters under her breath.

"Wait hold up," Yusuf scratches his head. "Y'all aren't messing with us?"

"Well at first we were just messing with each other." Renee gushes looking at Nathan like a love sick puppy. "But then we started to become serious." She looks up at me now guiltily. "It all happened so fast Sairah."