t h r e e

The sound of a soft sweet song woke me up. I sat up, rubbing my eyes as I tried to comprehend what was going on. Suddenly, Carlos threw my door open, causing me to let out a scream.

"Julie's singing!" He yelled before bounding back down the stairs.

I shot out of my bed, quickly pulling on my gray sweatpants before flying down the stairs myself. When I say I have been preparing for this moment since the day my mom died, I mean it. I raced down the stone path, skidding to a halt outside of the studio. The boys stood outside, watching me with amusement as I fought for my breath, hands on knees. Julie's beautiful voice drifted out of the doors, making tears prick into my eyes as I stood.

"I can't believe she's actually singing." I smiled emotionally, running my fingers through my messy frilly hair. 

When her song came to an end, I wiped my eyes, tears staining my cheeks.

"Are you okay?" Luke and Alex said at the same time, throwing each other glances.

"Yes!" I grinned, racing into the studio.

Julie looked up at me, tears streaming down her face. I threw my arms around her, pulling her into my chest. She hugged me back, letting out a sob. I ran my fingers through her long curly hair, smiling happily. 

"I am so proud of you." I whispered, pulling away and holding her face in my hands.

I stroked her cheek with my thumb and she leaned into my hand. "Thank you Kat." She smiled at me. 

"Julie, Kat!" Flynn stormed into the studio, tears welling in her own eyes. 

"Flynn!" Julie stood up, grinning eagerly.

"Carlos told me you'd be out here...we need to talk." She breathed.

"That's my que, good luck Jules." I patted Flynn on the shoulder and winked at my sister before racing out of the studio. 

I turned to the boys, crossing my arms. "Stalk much?" I giggled as the three stumbled backwards, staring at me wide eyed.

"We weren't listening!" Reggie protested, his cheeks flushed at being caught. 

"Sureeee pretty boy." I winked, causing his face to turn even redder if possible. "Well, I'm gonna go get ready for school." I pivoted on my heel, walking up the stone path. "Alex, you're girly right? Can you help me with my dance costume for my performance?" I asked.

"Dance performance?" Luke asked curiously. 

"Yeah I have to perform with my friend Carrie at the spirit rally. Not really looking forward to it though. Those tights look itchy as fuck." I groaned, beckoning Alex as I retreated to the house. 

The blonde boy raced behind me, skipping through my house. I opened my door, closing it behind him. The ghost looked around my room curiously, walking up to my vanity and attempting to pick up a picture.

"Is this your mom?" He asked, giving up after his hands fazed through it after three attempts. 

"Yeah, it's my favorite picture of us. I think it's the only picture of just me and her." I smiled sadly, meeting his gaze in the mirror. "But today is not about sad, no! I have to wear this atrociously purple glitter bomb outfit and you, my good sir, are going help me with my makeup since my alarm didn't go off." I winked at him.

He laughed, bouncing on his toes excitedly. "I'm gonna make you look hot. Even though Reggie seems to think you're already hot." He smirked at me through the mirror, watching as my face went red at his comment.

"I-I mean, who doesn't?" I joked, trying to play off as confident. 

"True." He seemed to accept this answer, digging through my makeup bag. "Got any clown face paint?"