t e n

I sat on the balcony that had been connected to my room, overlooking a small pond. It was still early morning and I had taken the time to finish up a song I had been working on for a while. I strummed a few chords on my guitar before propping it up properly in my arms. I looked down at the page in my song journal titled "Sinners" with small heart doodles surrounding it. I had always been one to doodle cute little aesthetics on my works. Taking a breath, I strummed the opening notes, smiling eagerly as I heard it start to play out.

"Our lives are stories, waiting to be told...In search of silver linings, we discovered gold. And judgement taught us that our hearts were wrong, But they're the ones that we'll look down upon." 

I took another breath, satisfied with the opening. Almost silent poofs sounded from behind me but I chose to ignore them. I was too excited about this song to just stop now. 

"The rules say our emotions don't comply. But we'll defy the rules until we die. So let's be sinners to be saints, and let's be winners by mistake! The world may disapprove, but my world is only you! And if we're sinners then it feels like heaven to me." 

The chorus was awesome. This song was going to be great!

"You showed me feelings, I've never felt before. We're making enemies, knocking on the devil's door! But how can you expect me not to eat, when the forbidden fruit tastes so sweet? So let's be sinners to be saints, and let's be winners by mistake! The world may disapprove, but my world is only you! And if we're sinners then it feels like heaven to me."

I strummed my guitar passionately, my eyes falling closed as I hummed the melody. I could feel the boys' eyes watching me in awe. Though usually I would be nervous, I was way to passionate about this song to notice the nerves.

"Oh, oh, oh. Our hearts are too ruthless to break, let's start fires for heaven's sake. Our hearts are too ruthless to break, let's start fires for heaven's sake. Our hearts are too ruthless to break, let's start fires for heaven's sake. Our hearts are too ruthless to break! So let's be sinners to be saints, and let's be winners by mistake! The world may disapprove, but my world is only you! And if we're sinners then it feels like heaven to me...And if we're sinners then it feels like heaven to me." 

I strummed the final chords, fighting for my breath. Glancing over at the boys who's jaws had gone slack, I giggled.

"Did you like it?" I asked hopefully.

"Like it? We loved it! That was fricking amazing Kat!" Luke exclaimed with bright eyes.

He leaned forward and hugged me tightly. Reggie and Alex joined, all of them engulfing me in a suffocating hug.

"C-Can't breathe-" I coughed out.

They pulled away, laughing. I let my lungs inflate again before giggling myself. Luke arched a brow at me curiously.

"What's it called?" He asked me. 

"Sinners. It's kinda about falling in love with someone you can't be with. Like sinning." Reggie and I made brief eye contact.

My cheeks went warm as we glanced away from each other. Alex seemed to notice and he smirked at me cheekily. Luke leaned forward again, fist bumping me. I sent him a wink, tossing my long caramel curls over my shoulder. My fingers were a bit sore from strumming so I set my guitar down and propped it up against the chair, walking towards the railing of the balcony. I leaned out with my arms folded and tucked against my chest and watched as two ducks swam around in the pond below. The mountains towered up in the background, hills rolling beside the pond. It was beautiful. The morning breeze pressed against my cheeks and blew my hair back. I smiled, inhaling the crisp scent of fresh mountainous air.